shropshire

Amazing ... both front wheels come off F1 car....

Wow ......http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8624282.stm

Sebastien Buemi escaped unhurt after the front wheels flew off his Toro Rosso car in a dramatic crash unhurt during Chinese Grand Prix practice.
The Swiss, 21, careered off the track at the end of the long back straight, where cars are doing about 194mph.
Buemi, clearly shaken, vented his anger at his team on his return to the pits.
Toro Rosso said the crash had been caused by a failure if the front-right upright, which caused an immediate failure of the same part on the left.
The crash happened with 10 minutes remaining of the first session while Buemi was on only his sixth lap after sitting out the majority of the 90-minute session because of a brake-system leak.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Hmmm... Some engineer might have some explaining to do ;)

Good thing he walked away :)

“The sum of intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.” - George Bernard Shaw
He who dies with the most toys, wins.....
dudeist skydiver # 19515
Buy quality and cry once!

What fun is it without video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t94NJXCL2SI

The failure was in the suspension, so it's not surprising that both wheels came off. Once the first one failed, it put undue pressure on the second, via the suspension linkage.

Wooohaaa... He went from driver to passenger in NO time at all.... Scary shit....
Good thing they have FAT paychecks :)
“The sum of intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.” - George Bernard Shaw
dudeist skydiver # 19515

What fun is it without video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t94NJXCL2SI

The failure was in the suspension, so it's not surprising that both wheels came off. Once the first one failed, it put undue pressure on the second, via the suspension linkage.

Um ... mine has video

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Wooohaaa... He went from driver to passenger in NO time at all.... Scary shit....

Not really scary for the driver - the cars are easily strong enough to take a crash at that speed and the run off area was huge.

Really, really scary for the cameraman at the end of the straight who was within a yard or two of being hit by the front right, and for the spectators on the hill dodging both wheels after they bounced off the tyre wall and vaulted the safety netting...:o
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

...spectators on the hill dodging both wheels after they bounced off the tyre wall and vaulted the safety netting...:o

I think that the spectators, Many of whom delight in seeing crashes, should get to share in the excitement. ;)

If I lost both front wheels wile doing close to 300KPH I'd be shitting my pants NO MATTER how strong built the car was... But that's probably just me.... ;)

Circuit personell has lost their life befor to unattached wheels... Was it in Australia a couple of years ago that happened???

dudeist skydiver # 19515

Hi wrong,

Hmmm... Some engineer might have some explaining to do

Why, it seems to be a problem with the assembly/mechanical work.

Don't blame an engineer for what he did not do. :S

JerryBaumchen, PE

I dont think we know yet. It may have been a failure of the part, or the assembly.
Remster

"But I have to say, I am extremely disappointed that, once again, through no fault of my own, I have been unable to run for almost all of the three hours available."

Sounds like they got a real team player there.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

well Buemi is almost a neighbour ;)

Buemi is Swiss (as you know), Franz Tost is Austrian, Toro Rosso is based in Italy and uses Ferrari engines in a chassis designed and constructed in Italy.

Maybe those Austrians and Italians have something against the Swiss? Probably envious of their watches, cheeses, and women. :)
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

Circuit personell has lost their life befor to unattached wheels... Was it in Australia a couple of years ago that happened???

Yep, and in Monza the year before that - prompting the introduction of safety tethers that should keep the wheels attached to the chassis even when the suspension is broken...
Do you want to have an ideagasm?