shah269

Skydiving + life insurance

My soon to be x wife wasn't thinking but she killed off our life insurance...her name is still on the mortgage.....so now I have to get life insurance that covers skydiving accidents.
I only really realistically think I'll be able to afford 50-100 jumper per year.
Any suggestions and how much do you pay?
FYI, I don't smoke and an in very good shape.
Than you
Shah
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

If she's your ex, then wouldn't it be her problem to handle the mortgage? :)

No not yet. The paper work has not been finalized and her name is still on the mortgage.

Sadly for some dumb reason due to IT's inability to stop fucking with out computers, the search function does not seem to wish to work from work.

I guess I'll call Allstate.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

What kind of insuracne was it? Term or whole life? Don't think a term policy will let you but some whole life may let you reinstate if the cancellation was fairly recent. You may have to pay the missed premiums. Might be worth looking into and premium will be cheaper in the long run.

Your jump numbers have been at 7 for quite some time so nothing has changed as far as your participation in "hazardous sports" goes. Assuming you are able to reinstate the policy, when they ask you about hazardous professions or past times, you can say, "No, I don't skydive." Same thing if you just go out and find a new policy.

Applications don't typically ask if you intend to participate but whether you do or not at the time of application. Shady? Maybe a little but if you take the application very literally, you can honestly answer "No." Read the entire policy for exclusions. Most I've seen have a two-year period where the provider can call BS and cancel the policy but that's usually just a suicide clause so someone doesn't get a million dollar policy and then off himself in 6 months.
Andy
I'll believe it when I see it on YouTube!

when they ask you about hazardous professions or past times, you can say, "No, I don't skydive." Same thing if you just go out and find a new policy.

Here we go again. Doesn't matter what you say in the interview, only matters what is in the policy. If there is an exclusion for jumping it won't pay if you go in. The only reason they ask that question is to determine whether you would like rated coverage for that activity.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

My soon to be x wife wasn't thinking but she killed off our life insurance...her name is still on the mortgage.....so now I have to get life insurance that covers skydiving accidents.
I only really realistically think I'll be able to afford 50-100 jumper per year.
Than you
Shah

This ain't no leegle advice. ;)
A life insurance requirement is fairly commonplace in divorce decrees and/or settlements. I do hope you have a divorce attorney. (You'd be a fool not to.) Assuming you do, discuss with him/her the equities of raising the issue that your wife created this problem in the first place by canceling the insurance, and thus it is only fair that she foot some of the expensive bill. Bottom line, though, she and her attorney will almost certainly take the position that you can always make life insurance cheaper and more obtainable by just quitting skydiving. I'd "guess" that most judges would agree with this, but ask your own attorney's opinion.

Exactly. Single w/no dependents? Who cares if you leave money behind?

BTW, my commercial term policy, much better rate than my federal employee's insurance rate, had no increased premium for skydiving, even though I claimed 200+ jumps a year. I was happy with that.:)

Exactly. Single w/no dependents? Who cares if you leave money behind?

BTW, my commercial term policy, much better rate than my federal employee's insurance rate, had no increased premium for skydiving, even though I claimed 200+ jumps a year. I was happy with that.:)

My policy doesn't have an increased premium BECAUSE I have over 1000 jumps...just sayin';)

IIRC the cost was about 3.00 X-tra a unit for hazardous activities...:S

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Don't you have access through your work to supplemental insurance? That is by far the cheapest way for me to go and has no exclusions. I had to ask about that information.

If you just need something for a stop gap measure maybe you should talk to the mortgage people. Often times they offer some sort of "mortgage insurance" usually through an associated vendor. It is usually too much for what you get but it could work on a temporary basis.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Than you
Shah

Group life provided by your employer is likely to be least expensive.

All of the policies I've had excluded suicide in the first cople years;
every one I remember had an exclusion for terrorism and war; one or two have had general aviation exclusions while acting as pilot in command; and none have had parachuting exclusions.

go to http://www.zander.com I went through zander and i'm insured through mutaul of omaha. My yearly for 500k 20 year Term will make you choke though. I pay nearly 2500 a year. I was a smoker and since it has only been 2 years since I quit i'm still considered a smoker and a recovering addict, i was 42 (when I got the policy) add in Skydiving and you get what I pay. I still think it is a good bet for my family as most of the men on my fathers side have died before they turned 60 from cancer. If I live past 62 WOOO HOOO if not I paid 50k for my kids and wife to get 500...I also didn't lie so i'm good if I burn in or lose my mind and off myself...:D

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

Does this mean yer gonna get out and jump?B|

Yes, I can't wait actually.
I just don't want to leave this world and cause any one financial harm god forbid such a thing were to happen.
I don't smoke, drink more than a 6 pack a week and I'm in good shape. I think it won't be a big deal.
Shah

Term life typically does not cover skydiving. You will likely need a whole life policy. I have a $300.000 whole life policy and pay and extra $1500 per year for the skydiving. For both the skydiving and my being a private pilot, the total extra on top of the policy is about 3K extra per year.

well i don't "fly" so I'm hoping it won't set me back $3k a year. If it does well then I am screwed and skydiving will have to wait till I get my next bump in pay....ETA 2020.

So, just out of curiosity why can't you pick up the same policy you had that your wife canceled? Was it whole or term?

You don't have any kids/family... what/who is this life insurance money going to go to and/or cover if you bounce?

Please note that if this is a stupid question it is because I am not an engineer... just a blonde programmer chick.
Kim Mills
USPA D21696
Tandem I, AFF I and Static Line I

So, just out of curiosity why can't you pick up the same policy you had that your wife canceled? Was it whole or term?

You don't have any kids/family... what/who is this life insurance money going to go to and/or cover if you bounce?

Please note that if this is a stupid question it is because I am not an engineer... just a HOT blonde programmer chick.

fixed it for ya!!:)

when they ask you about hazardous professions or past times, you can say, "No, I don't skydive." Same thing if you just go out and find a new policy.

Here we go again. Doesn't matter what you say in the interview, only matters what is in the policy. If there is an exclusion for jumping it won't pay if you go in. The only reason they ask that question is to determine whether you would like rated coverage for that activity.

Yeah, that's why I said to read the entire policy for exclusions. So, it does matter what you put on the application. If there is no exclusion for skydiving, and you don't jump, no rate-up and you're covered. Different if there's an exclusion. No rate-up but you won't be covered either. Depends on the company and they all have different rules.
Andy
I'll believe it when I see it on YouTube!

Please note that if this is a stupid question it is because I am not an engineer... just a HOT blonde programmer chick.

fixed it for ya!!:)

Gotta agree with both...the question, and the fix..