jumper03

Slinks!

"If you were open to new ideas and checked out their advantages...you wouldn't be jumping a racer with a round reserve and a batwing."

You should see what he used to jump, the batwing is a big improvement ;)

Now the racer and the round reserve is just plain weird......Sorry Brett but friends don't let friends jump racers:D

The tab on my soft link is hidden in the riser thus preventing a line snagging it and causing a problem. I noticed that when attaching the bridle with a soft link, there is no place to hide the soft link tab. Would this be a potential snag point?

Where you hide the tab on your soft link is where people are/were stowing their brake line. This is how the line snagged on the tab. There has been one fatality that I know of from this.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

If you were open to new ideas and checked out their advantages...you wouldn't be jumping a racer with a round reserve and a batwing.

Young fella, you're wrong with your argument but I don't have the time, nor the patience, to explain it to you. You ain't gonna understand it anyway. When you say Racers are inferior products, well that's just ignorant. You'll never get the another munufacturer to say that. You will never hear a true professional say that.

And the blanket statement that modern equipment is 'safer' is simply not true. The statistics prove you wrong. The statement proves you might not be long for this world. Have you checked the incident reports lately? Have you ever seen a dead skydiver as the result of a hook turn? I have and it ain't pretty.

And by the way, junior, I have more jumps on what you call 'modern equipment', than you have jumps TOTAL.

Brett
"It's only arrogance if you can't back it up"

Where you hide the tab on your soft link is where people are/were stowing their brake line. This is how the line snagged on the tab. There has been one fatality that I know of from this.

So if this is true, and I had heard it as well, then that means Rapide links win!

minus 1 to nothing....

Well. It`s not recommended to stow the break line excess in the risers. So if they do it against the manufacturer`s recommendation that their own stupid business.

Well that's a pretty strong statement. And of course you, being the experienced jumper that you are, have evidence to back it up, right?

Well that's a pretty strong statement. And of course you, being the experienced jumper that you are, have evidence to back it up, right?

He posted the evidence to back it up. Click the link. Of course you didn't believe that Slinks are stronger than Rapide links even when given the evidence so I doubt you'll believe this either. I would think as a rigger you would know that stowing the excess brake material in the riser loop for the link is not a good idea, for Rapide links or Slinks. You do keep up to date, right?

You seem to believe anything negative about Slinks without evidence, but even with evidence, won't believe anything positive about Slinks.:S

You still have not posted a single reason why Slinks are not better than Rapide links. 6 to 0, Slinks win.:S

Derek

Derek

You got me again on the 'tools' thing 'cause you gotta use a wrench but I wouldn't use nail polish or lock-tite. Don't need 'em. Never used 'em and never had a French link problem since I started using them way back when. Thousands and thousands of jumps and many, many canopies ago.

Have you ever assembled or packed a PD reserve with Rapide links?

Derek

-------------
And the blanket statement that modern equipment is 'safer' is simply not true. The statistics prove you wrong. The statement proves you might not be long for this world. Have you checked the incident reports lately? Have you ever seen a dead skydiver as the result of a hook turn? I have and it ain't pretty.
-----------
I have seen a few people femur in because of hook turns. I have also seen broken bones from parachutes striking objects, hard landings under tandems, and students forgetting to flare, along with various other injuries that are slipping my mind. I also watched two friends of mine die in a crw incident last fall. Thanks for the vote of confidence. You saying that i'm gonna go in because I feel that there are now more updated and safer containers than a racer is just rude and it surprsises me you haven't gone in as a result of karma.

------------------
And by the way, junior, I have more jumps on what you call 'modern equipment', than you have jumps TOTAL.
---------
No one ever said that I had more jumps that you or that I had seen more injuries and deaths than you. I"m not sure if i'm supposed to think you're cool or something because you have seen lots of people die, which I am presuming you have from your previous statement. You think i'm going to go in early in my career because I don't like racers??? Who are you? What the heck does that have to do with not jumping a racer...I think it decreases my odds of going in. I never said I was a skygod, nor that I had thousands of jumps. I have lots friends who jump racers. I have jumped racers. I'm not saying they are bad, i'm saying that in my opinion, there are containers that have many things to help prevent incidents that racers lack.

This is all aside from the fact that most riggers charge extra for packing racers because of there complexity and tediousness.

I was just reading your story about freeflying on the poopsheet(whatever that means) and you mentioned that on a head down jump you had bridle flopping around hitting your leg? Why? Now why would that be? You are a rigger...investigate and let me know.

Cheers,
Travis

You still have not posted a single reason why Slinks are not better than Rapide links. 6 to 0, Slinks win

Rapide links with bumpers do a great job of keeping the slider above the risers. For those who never pull their slider down Rapide links work great.

They also work great for those who've been jumping them for years and don't want to change to something new.

If I were buying a new PD canopy today I'd get it with SLinks. Since I'm not buying a new canopy anytime soon, the Rapide links on my current canopies work fine, I know how to inspect and maintain them and I can get 2 jumps in for the cost of a set of main SLinks, I'll stick with Rapide links for now.

If I were buying a new PD canopy today I'd get it with SLinks. Since I'm not buying a new canopy anytime soon, the Rapide links on my current canopies work fine, I know how to inspect and maintain them and I can get 2 jumps in for the cost of a set of main SLinks, I'll stick with Rapide links for now.

Well said. I, too, use rapide links, because that is what is on my rig, and they work.

Two things worth mentioning, though. First, I use rapide links knowing that of my options, it is the inferior one. Second, I make a point to visually check my links on opening as part of my canopy checks. I've heard too many horror stories about rapide links failing.

For Great Deals on Gear

Rapide links with bumpers do a great job of keeping the slider above the risers. For those who never pull their slider down Rapide links work great.

Slinks w/ hats do the same thing, only better. The bumpers don't wear out as fast and when they do, the Slink doesn't damage the slider grommet. Slinks slider stops don't need to be tacked and won't slide up the lines. They are also less bulky.

They also work great for those who've been jumping them for years and don't want to change to something new.

That isn't a reason why Slinks are not better than Rapide links.

And that is fine. Rapide links work. I haven't heard a single thing that Slinks don't do better than Rapide links, except damage grommets;). SLinks are better than Rapide links.

Brett says Slinks are not better than Rapide links, dismisses the evidence that they are better and offers no evidence that they aren't.:S

Derek

I'm not saying they are bad, i'm saying that in my opinion, there are containers that have many things to help prevent incidents that racers lack.

Hey dummy, read your post again. You said Racers are inferior the first time.

...tells me you don't your ass from the hole you're probably gonna leave in the ground someday. With that dumbshit attitude.

And I was talking about your statement that square parachutes are 'safer' than rounds. Are you daft, man! Square parachutes have an inherently better glide ration and the ability to provide lift on landing and their pack volume is less, respectivley, etc. But they are no more dangerous and no safer than a round parachute. Check the figures, dummy and then take up golf before you hurt yourself or someone else.

This is all aside from the fact that most riggers charge extra for packing racers because of there complexity and tediousness.

Riggers that know what they are doing do not mind packing Racers at all. And think about it. Is that how you choose gear? BY WHICH ONE IS CHEAPER TO PACK? That attitude is death on a stick. If you need to get your tonsils removed and your doctor says it's to hard to do so he's going to leave 'em in. I'd get me another doctor.

Not that it applies to you, but I charge less tro pack a Racer.

I was just reading your story about freeflying on the poopsheet(whatever that means) and you mentioned that on a head down jump you had bridle flopping around hitting your leg? Why? Now why would that be? You are a rigger...investigate and let me know.

Good point, Travis. Had nothing to do with a Racer (or slinks, or square parachutes, for that matter). At that point in time I was still using a legstrap mounted pilot chute and the bridle got loose. So being a rigger an all, I changed the velcro. Go figure? And FYI, that was several years ago and I have since changed to a pull-out deployment system. But don't worry about me or my equipment. I've manage to stay alive for this long without your help and you have enough to worry about on your own.

Brett

Hey dummy, read your post again. You said Racers are inferior the first time.

...tells me you don't your ass from the hole you're probably gonna leave in the ground someday. With that dumbshit attitude.

And I was talking about your statement that square parachutes are 'safer' than rounds. Are you daft, man! Square parachutes have an inherently better glide ration and the ability to provide lift on landing and their pack volume is less, respectivley, etc. But they are no more dangerous and no safer than a round parachute. Check the figures, dummy and then take up golf before you hurt yourself or someone else.

Hey Dude,

Watch your tone. Getting mad at someone over the internet is a worthless pursuit. It just makes you look bad. Please watch your tone and your language.

I realize that after this post you are simply going to be thinking...hey, I finally proved my point and told him off...but thats wrong. I have better things to do that argue with you. If you think that i'm going to go in because I dont prefer racers or round parachutes, then I think you are going to go in because of your gear choice. Thats not what I think in reality, but I figured I'd come down to your level a bit.

No one said I chose my rigger on how cheap they are. I dont know what the hell you are thinking packing racers for cheaper than other rigs...thats just plain crazy. Its not that "bad" riggers charge more, its that it is a more involved closing process...it only makes sense to charge more. Why do you charge more for a canopy reline than a canopy patch? My guess would be because its more complex and time consuming.

My rigger charges more for a racer...he doesn't refuse to pack them like your tonsil analogy.

As far as your bridle incident...do you WAIT for a malfunction before you improve your gear? Maybe thats why you still jump a racer and a round reserve as well as taht batwing. When something bad finally does happen to you related to your racer...will you then decide to consider other choices? Just wondering. I'm done replying to this nonsense. Its going nowhere and you are only embarrasing yourself with personal attacks. Good luck.

Cheers,
Travis

Hey dummy

With that dumbshit attitude

Is it possible for you to have a conversation with anyone without calling them names. That may have been fine in high school but now that you are all grown up, it is better to use facts and reason to support your view. Try it sometime, not all that hard, if you have facts.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Is it possible for you to have a conversation with anyone without calling them names. That may have been fine in high school but now that you are all grown up, it is better to use facts and reason to support your view. Try it sometime, not all that hard, if you have facts.

Fellas

you're right about the name calling. No place for that here. I apologize to those I offended. It certainly ain't gonna help make my point. I'll do that at a later time and in a different manner.

We'll try it again later.

Brett

That isn't a reason why Slinks are not better than Rapide links.

Sure it is - not for everybody, for the person jumping them. imho it's always better to be jumping equipment you know than equipment you don't know. Right or wrong, many jumpers - especially those who started jumping years ago - have no desire to change something that works for them... even if the alternate is stronger, less bulky and less likely to dent slider grommets.

Sure it is - not for everybody, for the person jumping them.

I see what you are saying, but someone's comfort level with gear doesn't change if the gear is better or not. Some people are more comfortable with a round reserve. That doesn't make round reserves better than square reserves. I can see why someone would stay with something that works and they are comfortable with, but that doesn't make a round reserve better than a square reserve.

Someone may be comfortable with an old modified B-4 and a chest mount with round canopies, but that doesn't mean a Vector III with square canopies isn't better.
Derek

Some people are more comfortable with a round reserve. That doesn't make round reserves better than square reserves. I can see why someone would stay with something that works and they are comfortable with, but that doesn't make a round reserve better than a square reserve. ***

It's all semantics, I guess. We all are saying the same thing really.

Round parachutes are not better than ram-air parachutes and vice versa. Ram-air parachutes are not better than round parachutes. Ram-air parachutes have more forward speed, a better glide ratio and have the ability to provide lift for a potentially softer landind, etc. But they are not 'better'. Using that line of thinking would mean that "It would have been better if he was jumping a round parachute on that one, he wouldn't have hooked it in and broke his femur".

Brett