skittles_of_SDC

Scuba Divers: NAUI vs. PADI?

I haven't seen any US schools with CMAS or BSAC. My choices appear to be either NAUI or PADI.

Im an instructor in both, our in joke about PADI is Put Anonther Dollar In.

Both will give you international dive quals, but i prefer NAUI instruction plans
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Riddler should be along soon to offer his opinion.
He is an instructor, but I don't know what orgs he is with.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I'm PADI cert'd, but ive got friends with MAUI, either way i think its more about the instructor vs the actual class, Kinda like static line vs AFF, they both teach you to skydive, its more about what is more easily accessible, and comfortable to you.
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

I'm certified by both, and for most folks it really makes no difference one way or the other. Either one will accept the others credentials and allow you to take their advanced certification classes.

I concur with the statement above about the preference for the NAUI instruction plans. But beyond that, if it boils down to choosing between two local schools that are PADI or NAUI, I would choose the school and instructors I felt more comfortable with.

Its just another card in your wallet, with about as much difference in value as Mastercard and Visa.

Mine is through IDEA. You might want to see what is recognized in the areas you want to dive. If you hit places in the Caribbean, they might not recognize some certifications. PADI is pretty well universally recognized.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Riddler should be along soon to offer his opinion.

I guess I'm somewhat predictable ;) Truth is, neither organization is "better". I teach SSI, which together with NAUI and PADI, make up the three most popular training organizations in the US. All of the training organizations follow the WRSTC guidelines about the most important procedures (recommended ascent time, etc). WRSTC is an umbrella organization that advises safety, based on diving statistics.

You won't have any problems if you show one cert-card vs. another - all dive operations want your money, so as long as you have a valid C-card anywhere, you can dive.

The best thing is to find people you really like, and get certified with them. Go visit the dive shops at least a few times, and talk to them about buying gear and their program. They will offer certification courses at different times, for different prices, and have different requirements. Find people you like and are willing to offer you choices. I really think you can get a sense of the attitude at the shop by visiting once or twice.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Both are very highly recognized. You will have no problems getting air fills, spots on charters, etc with either organization.

Having said that, the minimum standards to which an open course is taught...naui has much higher standards. PADI barely requires the minimums to be taught to new students. If you do take a padi course, i hope the instructors teach above and beyond the minimum requirements because it just doenst cut it.

One thing that really makes me not happy that in a nitrox course, padi no longer teaches tables....all computer stuff....bad bad ju ju.

IMHO naui is a far better organization to become certified with.
The Altitude above you, the runway behind you, and the fuel not in the plane are totally worthless
Dudeist Skydiver # 10

P ut
A nother
D ollar
I n

I stopped teaching PADI because of how they changed their lesson guidelines.
They ACTIVELY Discourage over teaching, teach only the bare minimums and "encourage" them to enrol in more advanced courses.

When i 1st learned to dive in 1980 the PADI course was exceptional and rigorous when i stopped teaching it, it was so dumbed down, it was borderline dodgy.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I didn't realize PADI had gone downhill. When I got certified over twenty years ago, they were considered very good. My daughter got certfied by them a couple of years ago, and I thought the class was good. But then, it was taught by a couple of old timers who were very conscientious. They added alot to the printed material.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

I didn't realize PADI had gone downhill. When I got certified over twenty years ago, they were considered very good. My daughter got certfied by them a couple of years ago, and I thought the class was good. But then, it was taught by a couple of old timers who were very conscientious. They added alot to the printed material.

Fifteen years ago for me (at age 14) after having well-researched the options.

Later in college, I took an advanced course and although they certified through NAUI, I was not without any of the base knowledge the other students had, and in fact I felt the advanced course was more of a "repeat" in that I knew most everything already, but I attribute that more to my PADI open-water instructor, and not the organization itself.
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

One thing that really makes me not happy that in a nitrox course, padi no longer teaches tables....all computer stuff....bad bad ju ju.

I can't speak for PADI, but I know that SSI has moved the dive tables to an appendix in the open water manual (as a reference), and no longer requires that tables are taught.

Doesn't bother me one bit. I am willing to bet that 90% of certified, current scuba divers (that are not instructors) can't do dive tables anyway. I can, only because I teach them.

At my dive shop, we still teach tables. I think they're outmoded, personally, but I do encourage my students to carry two computers if they aren't willing to abort remaining dives in the event one computer fails.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Its sad but most likely true.

I think tables are quite important. Especially with Nitrox and deco/tech diving further down the line.

I know at the shop that i routinely dive with, all the open water students have to complete tables not just on course but for their open water dives, and for subsequent courses like the advanced course and rescue course.

DM's and instructors have to be up on them all the time.

This was of course a few years ago when the shop was still teaching acuc. They have since switched to padi....but the instructors are all still the same and so far the skills and drills have been kept.....but im sure that wont last as new instructors become certified
The Altitude above you, the runway behind you, and the fuel not in the plane are totally worthless
Dudeist Skydiver # 10