Iago

Experienced SCUBA- will I get bored in Cozumel if I'm there more than a week?

You shouldn't get bored. In addition to diving (Coz, Tulum, Xel Ha, etc) there are plenty of "touristy" things to do on the Pennisula. Coz is only 10 miles or so from the mainland and it's not difficult to get back and forth.

BTDT - had a great time.
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

Nope...we go for about 10-14 days when we go. Some of it is dependant on who you are diving with. Sooooo..... who are you diving with? I have been there about 8 or 9 times....doc has been there like 28 times. We got married down there....and go down every year to every other year. We stay away from the strip and eat at the local places........let me know if you have any questions.
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

So I'm thinking about my fall/winter vacation plans and considering diving in Cozumel or the like.

Question is, will I get bored if I'm there more than a week ?

Anyone been there yet that can comment?

Thanks.

Take me with you and I'll let you know if you're bored.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

oh and if you want to go when it is totally crazy and a lot of fun go during carnivale....that is typically when we make an appearance and we will probably be down there again this year.;)

DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~

PM me if you want more info. As Cindy said, I have been there about 26 times or so. Probably 300+ dives there. I can give you the cheap places to stay, who I recommend diving with, and where to eat off the beaten path.

Doc
"We saved your gear. Now you can sell it when you get out of the hospital and upsize!!" "K-Dub"

"

agreed the strip is outrageously priced have partied there on numerous occasions but that's about it. mainland was tore up petty good last time i was there about 2yrs ago lots of construction..

the diving is alright, there's some stuff to see (girls in bikinis??).. its nothing spectacular but i am a bit biased on the subject as i have spent a lot of time on bottom all over working and as a mass murdering spearfisherman.. so guess it all depends on who you're with and what you're into...

im into jumping, burning steel with fire underwater, shooting big ass fish in the face with springsteel, drinking beer, and poontang....in no particular order cozumel doesn't fill all of those slots..so its not high on my list of where its at locations...but again i have had a blast there on many trips and cruises...

ecuador on the other hand;) you can get down james brown with what ever...just dont get hemmed up in the jungle they dont like white kids too much:D

if you want a friend feed any animal
Perry Farrell

I do have to say ecuador was pretty spectacular....galapagos rocked but I tend to do better in the warmer waters ----- my favorite was Fiji - and Indonesia too, but we only do the bigger trips like that every couple of years. Bonaire is pretty nice as well. Unfortunately I have been getting distracted with the jumping lately which means I don't get under water as much as I use to.
DPH # 2

So Alex, where is your favorite place to dive? Have you done much cold water? I would say my favorite for critters and coral was Indonesia (Raja Ahmpat off of NW New Guinea) with Fiji a close second. Although I have had some spectacular dives in the Sam Juan Islands of WA and Vancouver Is in BC. Good spearfishing there too.
"We saved your gear. Now you can sell it when you get out of the hospital and upsize!!" "K-Dub"

"

havent done Fiji or guinea yet... hands down favorite my back yard..the gulf of mexico...south timbalier, main pass the midnight lumps, the picket fence, bullwinkle petronius and all the TLP's in green canyon, Mississippi canyon, vioska knoll and the garden banks and everything in between.....

nothing like it on the planet... biggest man made reef on earth you got like 4k hardlegs out there with the Mississippi river dumping out on top of em...water is super deep off the shelf you get in a bruising battle with 200lb+ monsters @ -250+ its the way it should be you have no advantage down there those big ass fish will kill your ass in 10ft of water... you lose and you wont be needing funeral services thats for sure nobodys coming to fetch you in a couple thousand feet of water..even up front at the jump and west delt in the green water rip once you descend past -30 it opens up to the blue..

have shared some dives out there with huge turtles, manta rays, whale sharks, pilot whales..all sorts of pelagics and sharks....beautiful coral....yep hands down..... right down the street from the house in the blue water thats my spot
if you want a friend feed any animal
Perry Farrell

So I'm thinking about my fall/winter vacation plans and considering diving in Cozumel or the like.

Thanks.

Will be down there after Thanksgiving for the Cozumel Ironman. You could always go then and watch people die from heat stroke.

Thanks.

Who would get bored with beach, sunshine and cabana boys for a week?!?!

Seriously. Some really good diving. Also you can take the Ferry over to Playa Del Carmen and there is a drop zone somewhere around there. I drove by it when I was there a couple years ago. I didn't have my gear and the person I was with wasn't a skydiver.
Kim Mills
USPA D21696
Tandem I, AFF I and Static Line I

Also you can take the Ferry over to Playa Del Carmen and there is a drop zone somewhere around there

There is an billboard for the dropzone right next to the Ferry in Playa Del Carmen.

I went to Cozumel last year and let the kids ride on the dolphins. Great time.
And for the other people hijacking the thread - I have also dove Fiji and yes - it is the best place in the planet I have dove so far.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.