riddler

Fraud: Address theft

This one is new to me, so I'm wondering if anyone knows what the heck is going on?

I've lived in my home for 11 years. A few months ago, I started receiving mail saying "Welcome to the neighborhood" for one Mr. Charles Garcia. He must have ended up on a mailing list claiming to have bought my house. My address, his name. No big deal.

Over the weekend, I got a phone bill from Qwest (the local teleco), saying they had installed new phone service for Charles Garcia at this address. OK, now it's no longer a mistake - someone is definitely claiming my address as their own. I talked with Qwest this morning, and I ensured that "Charles Garcia" is not using my SSN, just the address.

Who else should I contact to let them know that Charles Garcia does not live here? I could see this going so far as a debt that would attempt to place a lien on the property (although it wouldn't hold up in court, obviously). I'm just trying to save myself a future headache.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

You can call the credit bureaus and but a fraud alert on your SSN. It requires any issues to take extra steps to ensure you are actually the person applying for credit.

Experian: 888-397-3742

Equifax: 800-685-1111

Trans Union: 800-888-4213
Adrenaline is my crack

DPH #3
D.S. #16 FAG #12 Muff Brother #4406

Now if it had been Jerry Garcia, that would be more interesting

Sorry, Jerry, no vacancy - Elvis is already camping in my basement.

I should add that about two weeks ago, I got a letter from a company that I purchased one item from. They said that they're database had been cracked and given to a third unknown person. The credit card info was encrypted, but the address info was not. I suspect it may have originated with that, but I don't know.

My wife is so afraid of scammers she wants to shred every little piece of junk mail we get just because of stuff like this...

Couldn't someone just get an address from a phone book? What about by just driving by your house? What kind of damage can someone do to you by knowing and using your address?
tagline..... what's a tagline?

Clearly you have never dealt with debt collectors.. They harassed a friend of mine until he just about lost his mind - they once even came in and started grabbing some of his stuff trying to repossess his assets!! And they weren't even after him! :S

According to my friend they were pretty aggressive and wouldn't leave him alone - he eventually moved apartments. :|

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

My wife is so afraid of scammers she wants to shred every little piece of junk mail we get just because of stuff like this...

Couldn't someone just get an address from a phone book? What about by just driving by your house? What kind of damage can someone do to you by knowing and using your address?

Fake rental scams, and this sounds like one! First he sets up "his" name at the address, then list a phone number at said address, then puts out an add , to rent, asking that people not bother the present tenant...Collects first and last from as many people as he can...then disappears!

My wife is so afraid of scammers she wants to shred every little piece of junk mail we get...

Good for her. :)
After removing names*, always shred and recycle. :)

*Removal List:

--Pre-approved Credit Card and Insurance Offers: Call 888-567-8688 (888-5-OPT-OUT) from your home telephone; it will be checked against an address database. Or visit www.optoutprescreen.com/.

--List Brokers: Pooling information effortlessly gleaned from phone books, public records—including real-estate transactions, tax files, and birth certificates—and other sources, these companies prepare and sell mailing lists to all kinds of businesses. Write to each listed below, requesting that your name be removed from all of their mailing and telemarketing lists. Preprinted mailing labels to ease the task are available at www.fightidentitytheft.com/junkmail_labels.html.

Dun & Bradstreet
Customer Service
899 Eaton Avenue
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania 18025

Metromail Corporation
List Maintenance
901 West Bond
Lincoln, Nebraska 68521

R.L. Polk & Co. / Name Deletion File
List Compilation Development
26955 Northwestern Highway
Southfield, Michigan 48034-4716

Database America
Compilation Department
470 Chestnut Ridge Road
Woodcliff, New Jersey 07677

Acxiom U.S.
To request an opt-out form be mailed to you, call 877-774-2094 or complete the request at Acxiom U.S's website. You will then have to fill out another form and mail it back as well.

*Direct Marketing Association: The 5,200 member companies of this trade group use the telephone, mail, and the Internet to pitch their products directly to consumers, bypassing such intermediaries as traditional bricks-and-mortar retail outlets. The DMA regularly updates its list, but the companies it notifies to remove you may not be as prompt. Thus six months may pass before solicitations from all DMA members cease.
*To stop receiving all mailings from DMA members, go to www.dmaconsumers.org/cgi/offmailing. Please note, “consumers” is plural in the address.

Mail your request directly to:
Mail Preference Service
Direct Marketing Association
P.O. Box 643
Carmel, New York 10512

*To stop telephone solicitations from DMA members with whom you do not have a current or past business relationship, visit www.dmaconsumers.org/cgi/offphone.
"Nature is cruel, but we don't have to be." ~ Temple Grandin

Clearly you have never dealt with debt collectors..

Agreed. Some of those 'debt recovery' firms are borderline criminal themselves. It's a good reason to nip any problems like this in the bud, because even though you might win out in the end there can be a lot of pain and anxiety along the way.

To the OP: as well as contacting the firm directly, I'd make a point of returning to sender any future mail with this guy's name on it - clearly marked 'not known at this address.'

I do shred anything that shows both my name and address, or at least separate the two - although this kind of information is freely available from sites such as 192.com, so I also try to be ex-directory as far as possible. I just don't believe in making life easy for these scumbags, and anyone I want to hear from has my contact details already.

We do have a cross shredder for our mail for this reason, pretty much.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

We do have a cross shredder for our mail for this reason, pretty much.

I have a wood stove that all the trash mail goes into. NO ONE is putting any of that back together:ph34r:

Does anyone know why I would get "welcome to the neighborhood" junk mail for this guy? The only time I've ever gotten that is when I bought a house. Is it possible he took out a mortgage on my property? How would I find out?

The "welcome to the neighborhood" is often a list generated by a change of address filed with the post office. I got a bunch of junkmail shortly after I moved the last time.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Does anyone know why I would get "welcome to the neighborhood" junk mail for this guy? The only time I've ever gotten that is when I bought a house. Is it possible he took out a mortgage on my property? How would I find out?

You can do a title search, but that will probably cost you a fee - perhaps $100-200 or so. That will show you the registered owner along with all encumbrances registered against the property such as mortgages, liens, clouds, etc.

As far as I'm aware, any new encumbrances registered against the property would either require your signature, or cause a notice to be sent to you and any other party listed on title, such as a mortgagee, lien holder or cloud holder. Transfer of ownership would also require holders of such encumbrances to give you a discharge, first. Of course, there have been instances of title being transferred fraudulently which could bypass some or all of these obstacles. This is one of the reasons for title insurance now.

How did Qwest install phone service without coming to the house?
Did they assign a phone number that can be used to find Mr. Garcia?
Have you contacted police to see if they have any interest in this?
OK, I'm going to watch South Park now.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

How did Qwest install phone service without coming to the house?

I live in the city, in an older home. At any point, Qwest can activate phone service at my house with just a computer switch at their station.

Did they assign a phone number that can be used to find Mr. Garcia?

Nope - called their assigned phone number myself, and it was never "activated" by the owner. In other words, it rang until a message came on, saying this phone number has not been enabled by the owner.

Have you contacted police to see if they have any interest in this?

Nope. Not going to bother the police until I know for a fact that an actual crime has been committed.