CarrieByTheSea

Dental Cleaning

How often do you have one?

I always had one every six months, but as of the last three-or-so years I have had it once-a year.

While I love my teeth (I get complimented often), I HATE the dentist. Today, I had an appointment (annual for me) for a checkup/cleaning and informed them I just wanted the Xrays and checkup--please skip the cleaning. The Xrays and dentist-check all came back with beautiful results, however, they insisted I should never neglect a cleaning and I should have one every six months.

I have not researched this, because as far as I can tell most people I know do not go to the dentist unless they have a problem and these people also have beautiful teeth. But, I do not want to cause a problem when I could have prevented it by a cleaning.

Thoughts?

Did I mention I HATE the dentist? Except I do love when they marvel at my smile and my teeth--which was thanks to five years of braces (among other things) due to my teeth being too big for my mouth; it was not-so-attractive in my younger years. :D
"Nature is cruel, but we don't have to be." ~ Temple Grandin

While I love my teeth (I get complimented often), I HATE the dentist. Today, I had an appointment (annual for me) for a checkup/cleaning and informed them I just wanted the Xrays and checkup--please skip the cleaning. The Xrays and dentist-check all came back with beautiful results, however, they insisted I should never neglect a cleaning and I should have one every six months.

I used to have preferred a root canal to a cleaning session... all that scraping, picking, poking, prodding... An hour in the chair with some masochist. Then I found a dental office that does laser cleaning. Ahhh, how much worse can it be? After ten minutes she said, "OK, we're done." Huh? "We're done." Every six months now like clockwork. Recommendation: Find a clinic that uses lasers.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Hi Carrie,

It is not my place to tell you what to do.

I go every 6 mos & get my cleaning without fail. I actually like getting my teeth cleaned.

Think about this: You are now a young person. Do you want to have all of your teeth when you are an old person? Get the cleanings!!!!!

Just my $0.02 . . .

JerryBaumchen

Yes, I have had laser!

That settles it; I need to switch my insurance. I really liked the company/plan of my present carrier, but so few dentists in my area accepted it. I admit, I have always felt my new dental office was many, many steps down from my old ones, but my dentist is very nice and knowledgable so I did not want to discriminate on the less-than-acceptable everything else. :| I thought I was thinking snobby.

Thanks! :)

I eat an entire bag of Cheetos before every cleaning.
I believe in getting my moneys worth.
:)

Reminds me of the old Steven Wright joke: "I like my dental hygienist. I think she's very pretty. So whenever I go to have my teeth cleaned, while I'm in the waiting room I eat an entire box of Oreo cookies."
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Hi Carrie,

It is not my place to tell you what to do.

I go every 6 mos & get my cleaning without fail. I actually like getting my teeth cleaned.

Think about this: You are now a young person. Do you want to have all of your teeth when you are an old person? Get the cleanings!!!!!

Just my $0.02 . . .

JerryBaumchen

Yes, I definitely want my own teeth!!! I have very good at-home dental habits. I just really, really hate the dentist and I know so many people who never go and never have problems. But, they say six months and I feel my inner-do-the-best-thing obligation to go, though I am not convinced it is the six-month-professional-cleaning that makes the difference in the long run.

I eat an entire bag of Cheetos before every cleaning.
I believe in getting my moneys worth.
:)

Oreo's is a good "extra clean" guarantee too.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I go every 4 months and have for years. I'm looking at needing implants, etc and the cost is pretty daunting. Take real good care of your natural teeth...they are worth a small fortune!!
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Yes, I definitely want my own teeth!!! I have very good at-home dental habits. I just really, really hate the dentist and I know so many people who never go and never have problems. But, they say six months and I feel my inner-do-the-best-thing obligation to go, though I am not convinced it is the six-month-professional-cleaning that makes the difference in the long run.

I can't answer this regarding your overall dental health, but I will say from experience that it is much better to have your teeth cleaned more frequently. Normally I go every year. During one period when I was moving around a lot, I went for a little more than two years between cleanings. I spent a lot more time in the chair, and the experience was way worse than had I had the procedure done on time.
B|[:/]
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

I go once a year. The hygenist always tells me that she likes to have me first thing in the morning for a good start to her day or the last appointment to end the day on a good note because I'm so easy.

She may be cleaning for ten minutes at the most. There is hardly any plaque buildup on my teeth.
What do you call a beautiful, sunny day that comes after two cloudy, rainy
ones? -- Monday.

I would suggest you do some reading on what it is a hygienist does.
They remove plaque that is below the gum line which cannot be removed by brushing.
If it is not removed, the result can be gingivitis, periodontitis, receding gums, tooth loss, etc.

If you don't like the dentist, you will probably like the oral surgeon less.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

During one period when I was moving around a lot, I went for a little more than two years between cleanings. I spent a lot more time in the chair, and the experience was way worse than had I had the procedure done on time.
B|[:/]

I did the exact same dumb thing once.
The hygienist used up the entire one hour appt slot, and I had to make another appt to come back so she could finish the job.
She was damned cute, so I really didn't mind coming back.:)The down side was I was starting to get gingivitis.[:/]
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I'm looking at needing implants, etc and the cost is pretty daunting.

I am in the process of getting an implant right now.
I lost a tooth due to an extremely rare condition called external resorption.
I must say it is quite a novelty have my upper jaw bone drilled, and tapped.
Also quite strange having impact tools and a ratchet wrench used inside my mouth.
Expensive as all hell, and also time-consuming:
- 6 months from extraction to installing the titanium.
- 3 more months before they can install the crown.

The thing is the hygienists clean plaque/tartar buildup under the gumline that you cannot get rid of. No matter how much flossing, proper brushing, fluoridated toothpaste/rinse/water, there will be buildup and a cleaning only helps to promote healthy gums. Most insurance plans should cover them, try gas/sedation if it bothers you so much. Good luck!

I always had one every six months, but as of the last three-or-so years I have had it once-a year.

I go twice a year, since it's covered under my benefits at work. And, funny as it may sound, my dentist is a children's dentist (mostly). He bought the practice from my previous dentist, who bought the practice from the dentist I had as a kid.

If you don't like the dentist, see if you can get one who's practice is mostly kids. They, and their staff, are REALLY great to deal with.

I don't have an issue seeing the dentist but maybe that's because I've always had a dentist that deals with kids (NO smart ass remarks, folks! :P:P)

ANYway ... don't neglect your teeth. It can lead to other problems. :)
'Shell

Your dentist probably has a tit fetish - that's why he treats you so good;);)

My dentist is my DZO - I tell him I'd rather spend my $ on skydiving

"We saved your gear. Now you can sell it when you get out of the hospital and upsize!!" "K-Dub"

"

I have not researched this, because as far as I can tell most people I know do not go to the dentist unless they have a problem and these people also have beautiful teeth. But, I do not want to cause a problem when I could have prevented it by a cleaning.

Thoughts?

Did I mention I HATE the dentist? Except I do love when they marvel at my smile and my teeth--which was thanks to five years of braces (among other things) due to my teeth being too big for my mouth; it was not-so-attractive in my younger years. :D

I'll always remember Johnny Carson's monologue one evening in the 1980s. In discussing modern dentistry techniques, he said that they might make dentists obsolete, and "I haven't been so happy to hear of an organization going out of business since the Gestapo."

Naturally the ADA was furious, and went public with their criticism of Carson's remarks, so the next evening...

"Dentists only celebrate three holidays: Christmas, New Year, and the Marquis de Sade's birthday." :ph34r::D:SB|;)

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

I LOVE getting my teeth cleaned! It is so relaxing, I get to lay down, keep my clothes on, it's painless, and my teeth feel so clean afterwards. I have great teeth so getting them cleaned keeps them that way. :)
On the other hand, I HATE going to the ob/gyn. I only go to renew my birth control. It is that most uncomfortable thing ever. >:(

http://3ringnecklace.com/