hcsvader

Lets see your tattoo, piercing or other body mods

How'd that one feel? how was the healing process?

I dated a girl who owned a body modification shop a couple years ago and she had her tounge split. It was so cute listening to her try to talk with a swollen tounge for a about a week after.
Haha and once it healed it was definatly something worth experiencing. combine that with the fact that she was also a sword swollower... I don't know why I let that one get away;)

Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

How does it impact your CURRENT work, and how do you think it will impact you FUTURE work/life ? I am assuming this is not reversible (at least not without surgical work)?

It dosent impact my current work, nor will it affect my future as i foresee it. Ive had it for a few months now, and trust me, unless I stick it out and show it off, its impossible to tell.

I still talk, eat, and do everything just as normally as I ever did.

It is possible to reverse, and it has been done, mainly because the person was in the military(who outlawed the procedure once it had gained 'popularity') and was FORCED to have the procedure done, other than that as far as I know it has never been voluntarily done.
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

How does it impact your CURRENT work, and how do you think it will impact you FUTURE work/life ? I am assuming this is not reversible (at least not without surgical work)?

I feel sorry for anyone who has to maintain a certain public image. To let your career dictate who you are, how you look and behave.
Have you seen my pants?

How'd that one feel? how was the healing process?

I dated a girl who owned a body modification shop a couple years ago and she had her tounge split. It was so cute listening to her try to talk with a swollen tounge for a about a week after.
Haha and once it healed it was definatly something worth experiencing. combine that with the fact that she was also a sword swollower... I don't know why I let that one get away;)

Yeah brillliant move there man, letting her go, hell send her my way, ill marry her ;) haha!

The actual Split did not hurt AT ALL, contrary to what i thought. 4 sutures were placed, 2 on each side, to help close the wound, and those were probably the most painful thing ive ever done. they SUCKED :(. Healing the first night was pretty painful, with alot of swelling, but advil and ice kept it tolerable. other than that it wasnt near as bad as i originally thought.

Do you think you'll regret it when you're 40 with children to explain it to? At 60 with grandchildren to explain it to?

I have tats, but they all have a story. So, like I said, I'm not judging. Just curious.

No i dont think I will regret it when im older, had it been something that i rushed into without much forethought, then yes I could see it being a mistake, but personally it almost felt weird NOT having it done, it feels more natural now than ever (i know that probably makes no sense). Personally im all for body modification in all its forms, I dont think that people should be told what they can and cannot do to their bodies, once they are mentally capable of handling and dealing with ALL repercussions of said act.
So as far as explaining it, my response is, its what makes me feel happy, and in the end that is all that matters, personal happiness. I have already lost friends, been disowned by family, and pretty much looked upon as a freak, by a lot of people. Guess, what, its still the most rewarding thing ive done to date.

Feel free to ask away, trust me I take no offense, You cant walk around looking like I do and not expect to be questioned.
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

I feel sorry for anyone who has to maintain a certain public image. To let your career dictate who you are, how you look and behave.

I am a Firefighter and Paramedic, and will not let anyone dictate to me how i can and cannot look. In my eyes, if I am willing to risk MY life to run into a burning building to save YOU and YOUR stuff, you have absolutely no right to dictate how i should look(as long as there is no safety risk).

You're a great guy, and very intelligent. I'm a generation removed from you, but I still can't imagine wanting to mutilate my tongue like that. I can imagine it's a rush and all, but, damn, I'm very happy with my tongue the way it is. Just don't get too far out there, I guess. [:/]

Thanks man! :)

Microdermals I'm not even't bothering with, I have a ton of scars on my chest/neck from the piercings.

Plus, I'm moving towards suspension. I'll post pics when I do it. :D Should be within the next few months.

yeah im planning to suspend as soon as i can get the cash for the hooks, i cant wait!

what style are you planning?

That's a whole debate in itself. I have been self employed all my life, so I am probably held to lower standard (if any) than most people. Though, I still feel SOME threshold needs to be maintained. Why ? Because as much as we'd like for the world to revolve around us, it does not. Majority of us are forced to interact with others, and as such we get judged by our look, speech manner, and overall presentation.

In short I think that most people CHOOSE position where a certain public image needs to be maintained, rather than get forced because their dead-end job requires them to wear a suit :)

That's a whole debate in itself. I have been self employed all my life, so I am probably held to lower standard (if any) than most people. Though, I still feel SOME threshold needs to be maintained. Why ? Because as much as we'd like for the world to revolve around us, it does not. Majority of us are forced to interact with others, and as such we get judged by our look, speech manner, and overall presentation.

In short I think that most people CHOOSE position where a certain public image needs to be maintained, rather than get forced because their dead-end job requires them to wear a suit :)

How does how you look dictate how well you can preform your job? Im not trying to be hostile, im just curious. :)

Yes I totally agree that people choose yo have careers where they need to maintain a certain image.
I just think its very unfourtunate that people abilities are judged based on thier appearance. I've met many people who feel oppressed because thier line of work requires a certain image. I don't kno whow many times I've had people tell me they couldn't do the thing I do, like ding my hair different colors or having a mohawk, have visible tattoos or facial piercing because they would lose thier job or they think people would judge them because of it.
Have you seen my pants?

Yes I totally agree that people choose yo have careers where they need to maintain a certain image.
I just think its very unfourtunate that people abilities are judged based on thier appearance. I've met many people who feel oppressed because thier line of work requires a certain image. I don't kno whow many times I've had people tell me they couldn't do the thing I do, like ding my hair different colors or having a mohawk, have visible tattoos or facial piercing because they would lose thier job or they think people would judge them because of it.

COULD NOT AGREE MORE.
:)

I'm going with 4 6g hooks. I'm thinking standard suicide.

I wanna see if I like it suspension first then I'll move on to other things. I've always loved piercings. It's always given me a huge rush.

Everything about piercings is awesome, from the scent of medical grade cleaners, rubber gloves, and new jewlery...

But now, its been the emu oil and my keyloids.[:/]

Best Girl Scout Ever.

I'm going with 4 6g hooks. I'm thinking standard suicide.

I wanna see if I like it suspension first then I'll move on to other things. I've always loved piercings. It's always given me a huge rush.

Everything about piercings is awesome, from the scent of medical grade cleaners, rubber gloves, and new jewlery...

But now, its been the emu oil and my keyloids.[:/]

you do know if youre using 6 ga hooks you dont HAVE to go with 4, you can throw 2 horizontally and be just the same, just a heads up.

i plan on doing the same thing, but will proll go with 2 hooks, just for the sake of comfort.

might want to consider it. 6 ga is a pretty big needle, thats alot of trauma, for a first time, but then again some people can handle it fine, just figured id throw you some options. who are you suspending with? and how many have they done? make sure the people who are throwing the hooks and doing the rigging know what they are doing, because ALOT can go wrong, FAST.

How does how you look dictate how well you can preform your job? Im not trying to be hostile, im just curious. :)

If my job entails dealing with customers face to face, it's more likely than not that customer satisfaction/recall and subsequent repeat business is a direct function of their impression of me, and no matter how good I may be at what I do, my look/attire will have a bearing.

In short, I think people are judgmental SOBs, but such is life.

ohh ok, glad were on the same page :)

ohh ok, glad were on the same page :)

How is it ok for you to judge them ("choosing a job based on wearing a suit"), but not ok for them to judge you?

I'm confused.

This is an honest, serious question - not trying to be a smartass or anything.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I am a Firefighter and Paramedic, and will not let anyone dictate to me how i can and cannot look. In my eyes, if I am willing to risk MY life to run into a burning building to save YOU and YOUR stuff, you have absolutely no right to dictate how i should look(as long as there is no safety risk).

So is that going to be your answer when you apply for a different job and are told you would have to cover up, or when your agency changes the rules on the books? Think it won't happen? Look at Los Angeles. I work for an EMS agency that has grandfathered in some folks with visible tattoos but in order to be hired now you must be able to cover any visible tattoos 24/7 while on duty. If you don't know already, you would be surprised to see how many fire/ems agencies have a no visible tattoo rule on the books. Why? Because public image dictates it.

I am in no way judging you on the fact that you have tattoos, just on your position on the role that public image plays. I wish that public image didn't play the role it does, but unfortunately it doesn't matter what you think about yourself, what matters is what others think of you. I highly doubt it is the dude watching you put out the fire in his house that is going to complain. It's the little old lady who calls 911 in the middle of the night because she has abdominal pain and can't sleep and wants a ride to the hospital. It's the same little old lady who will sit down and write letters or call council members, etc. saying that the fire department is filled with dirty tattooed misfits and can't they hire some clean young folks. Are you a dirty misfit? No, probably not, but right or wrong, that's her impression of you. That lady is your customer. Assuming your agency is similar to every other one in the country, I imagine you run a heck of a lot more old lady with a tummy ache calls than house fires, and it's those old ladies paying the bills and keeping the lights on and the trucks fueled. These old ladies, the ones calling 911 when if they had just farted a few times they would have been just fine, are the customer, and the customer needs to be happy. The last thing any elected official wants is the public complaining about something. Next step, rules on the books stating no visible tattoos so old ladies won't complain about dirty misfits again.

Is it all absurd? Mostly, and I agree with you that it shouldn't matter, but unfortunately it's life. I have no idea where you work, but I presume you enjoy it there. Based on your statement above I expect that you would turn in your two week notice if your agency added a no visible tattoos rule to the books?

Edit to add: same story w/ piercings. In fact, for your average 65 to 85 year old customer, having a bunch of metal in your face is probably quite a bit more in their face than a bunch of tattoos. And you better bet that there has been a grandma or two that would like to know what that split tongue was capable of! ;)
Killing threads since 2004.