hcsvader

Lets see your tattoo, piercing or other body mods

I think where you live has a lot to do with how your seen as well. Living in the university area of edmonton, people rarely look twice at me.

Living in rural alberta, like I did this summer on the other hand.....:S

Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

In short, I think people are judgmental SOBs, but such is life.

ohh ok, glad were on the same page :)

How is it ok for you to judge them ("choosing a job based on wearing a suit"), but not ok for them to judge you?

I'm confused.

This is an honest, serious question - not trying to be a smartass or anything.

No you missed my point, i'm not judging them based on wearing a suit, if they want to wear one, by all means go for it, the clothes dont make the man, the man wearing them does. I'm saying the fact that they are expected to wear one, because that is what society dictates is what is messed up.

So is that going to be your answer when you apply for a different job and are told you would have to cover up, or when your agency changes the rules on the books? Think it won't happen? Look at Los Angeles. I work for an EMS agency that has grandfathered in some folks with visible tattoos but in order to be hired now you must be able to cover any visible tattoos 24/7 while on duty. If you don't know already, you would be surprised to see how many fire/ems agencies have a no visible tattoo rule on the books. Why? Because public image dictates it.

I am in no way judging you on the fact that you have tattoos, just on your position on the role that public image plays. I wish that public image didn't play the role it does, but unfortunately it doesn't matter what you think about yourself, what matters is what others think of you. I highly doubt it is the dude watching you put out the fire in his house that is going to complain. It's the little old lady who calls 911 in the middle of the night because she has abdominal pain and can't sleep and wants a ride to the hospital. It's the same little old lady who will sit down and write letters or call council members, etc. saying that the fire department is filled with dirty tattooed misfits and can't they hire some clean young folks. Are you a dirty misfit? No, probably not, but right or wrong, that's her impression of you. That lady is your customer. Assuming your agency is similar to every other one in the country, I imagine you run a heck of a lot more old lady with a tummy ache calls than house fires, and it's those old ladies paying the bills and keeping the lights on and the trucks fueled. These old ladies, the ones calling 911 when if they had just farted a few times they would have been just fine, are the customer, and the customer needs to be happy. The last thing any elected official wants is the public complaining about something. Next step, rules on the books stating no visible tattoos so old ladies won't complain about dirty misfits again.

Is it all absurd? Mostly, and I agree with you that it shouldn't matter, but unfortunately it's life. I have no idea where you work, but I presume you enjoy it there. Based on your statement above I expect that you would turn in your two week notice if your agency added a no visible tattoos rule to the books?

Edit to add: same story w/ piercings. In fact, for your average 65 to 85 year old customer, having a bunch of metal in your face is probably quite a bit more in their face than a bunch of tattoos. And you better bet that there has been a grandma or two that would like to know what that split tongue was capable of! ;)

Trust me, i see your point, and I understand it, very well, society as a whole is screwed up in my eyes, but if push absolutely came to shove, then yeah i would do what i could to find work in the field, or switch careers, if need be, (i do have a backup option planned, just incase this one does not work out). Im sorry that that is the way it is going over in California, i know for a FACT that Tampa, has it in their collective bargaining agreement as a union that tattoos of non offensive nature (obviously no swastikas and naked ladys) DO NOT have to be coverd. Im also pretty sure that Orlando has a pretty easy policy regarding them too(could be wrong although on this one, it was speculation from a third party). Those are the 2 biggest ones that i can think of, but there are a few smaller departments where I know tattoos do not have to be covered.
Basically the more people that stand up to this way of thinking, and say, 'you know what, it IS ok if I decorate my body how I see fit" (again so long as no safety risks are presented), the more widely accepted it will become and the less people will care.

Just 200 years or so ago, it was a HORRID act for a girl to have her ears pierced!! Can you believe that the thing we are doing to BABIES(thats a whole another moral issue in itself) because its so socially accepted was completely 100% taboo just 2 centuries ago? Wonder what caused that change, from utter disgust, to absolute norm? It was because the minority,(the people that wanted it done) slowly became the majority, and views changed (albeit slowly, but it did happen).

So in short, yes, i know this decision will make my life much harder, and the minority of people will stand by me, but in the end, ive only got one life to live, and personally I gotta do what makes me happiest in the end, I guess.

edit: missed your last edit about the piercings and split tongue, and might I add. . . LMAO:D:D:DEEWWWW
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

What are your thoughts on the duplicity of personal styles taken to the extreme level. Let's take this girl, for example and while trying so hard to not look like anyone else (except for the stylistic set who she is trying to mimic in a desperately ironic attempt at identity) and to visually rebel against everyone as much as she can she says, "All those stupid normal people should not judge me by my appearance."
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

What are your thoughts on the duplicity of personal styles taken to the extreme level. Let's take this girl, for example and while trying so hard to not look like anyone else (except for the stylistic set who she is trying to mimic in a desperately ironic attempt at identity) and to visually rebel against everyone as much as she can she says, "All those stupid normal people should not judge me by my appearance."

I think its hypocritical honestly, in the way that she judges them for not trying to look different, yet she does not want to be judged by the "normal" people. Just because someone dosent have tattoos(and this goes for all body modification in general, not jsut tattoos) does not mean that I judge them for it, its their own personal decision, they may not see the point in it, or they just haven't found anything they like yet, or a myriad of other reasons, either way it doesn't matter, they shouldn't be judged on how they LOOK, no matter what, at least that is my take on the issue.

and yes i think it is absolutely HYSTERICAL the way some people try to "look like nobody else" by using the same basic designs and methods as everyone else. I can promise you that someone out there has those same eyebrow tattoos, and facial piercings. So using them to look "unique" is just asinine to me. I don't look the way I do so i can be different and unique, I do it because its how i feel most comfortable(yeah i know that probably makes no sense, but its the best i can do).
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

week and a half ago...They are rubber bands people, not rings. B|

dumb question im sure, but what do they mean?

a quit smoking tattoo by chance?

Not a dumb question, just one that indicates you haven't learned how to pack yet.:)
Rubber bands are used for line stows.

I think it's a little odd, but way cool. Better than a closing pin for a "secret symbol";)

But you should have used silibands if you wanted them to last for any length of time:D:D:D:P
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Not a dumb question, just one that indicates you haven't learned how to pack yet.:)
Rubber bands are used for line stows.

I think it's a little odd, but way cool. Better than a closing pin for a "secret symbol";)

But you should have used silibands if you wanted them to last for any length of time:D:D:D:P

ooohhh gotcha :)nope, not a clue how to pack, when i was up at the DZ i tried to watch best i could but YEAH, all i learned is that the big sheet goes in the little bag, :D

the reason i guessed smoking is because that is what a friend of mine did as a joke, to another friend of ours who wore a rubber band on his wrist and ever time he thought about cigarettes hed snap it.

Yes...packing. There's more to it than that though.

I've never smoked.

Yes, it is a bit odd, but I am a bit odd. :P

odd people are the funnest thought! :)

Yes...packing. There's more to it than that though.

I've never smoked.

Yes, it is a bit odd, but I am a bit odd. :P

odd people are the funnest thought! :)

I think that odd people are the weirdest. :P

odd is wierd and wierd is fun ;)

how boring would the world be if everyone was the same?? :P

This is the poem that inspired my tattoo "the firm resolve of a determined soul"

THERE IS NO CHANCE, NO DESTINY, NO FATE,
CAN CIRCUMVENT OR HINDER OR CONTROL,
THE FIRM RESOLVE OF A DETERMINED SOUL.
GIFTS COUNT FOR NOTHING; WILL ALONE IS GREAT;
ALL THINGS GIVE WAY BEFORE IT, SOON OR LATE.
WHAT OBSTACLE CAN STAY THE MIGHTY FORCE
OF THE SEA-SEEKING RIVER IN ITS COURSE,
OR CAUSE THE ASCENDING ORB OF DAY TO WAIT?
EACH WELLBORN SOUL MUST WIN WHAT IT DESERVES.
LET THE FOOL PRATE OF LUCK. THE FORTUNATE
IS HE WHOSE EARNEST PURPOSE NEVER SWERVES,
WHOSE SLIGHTEST ACTION OR INACTION SERVES
THE ONE GREAT AIM. WHY, EVEN DEATH STANDS STILL,
AND WAITS AN HOUR SOMETIMES FOR SUCH A WILL.

:)

Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

I've only used vaseline (petroleum jelly) with vitamin E, 4+ times a day. No clingfilm / saran wrap...

Some slight scabbing on days 3 & 4 which came off gradually every time I rubbed on the vaseline.. It's still a bit raised at the mo, but sensitivity is gone completely.

My artist is old school - 30 years in the UK before he moved to SA and he swears by vaseline only for 2 weeks.

Leandri got a tattoo a bit more than 2 weeks ago, same procedure and by day 10 it was fully healed and the colours POP. Her design was done freehand, so the lines aren't quite smooth, a nice touch... Attached pic is of her tat at 7 days.
A VERY MERRY UNBIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!
D.S # 125