Jbag

drinking coffee

Lately they've been filling the cup too high. Makes it difficult to get the coffee out because of the back pressure. Then, when you're driving and you try to take the lid off some coffee ends up on my shirt and I spend the rest of the day looking like a slob.[:/]

Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Lately they've been filling the cup too high. Makes it difficult to get the coffee out because of the back pressure.

Most people don't understand what that little pin-hole on the other side of the lid is for. It's to relieve the pressure difference between the inside and the outside of the cup. Sometimes they don't get popped out as much as they should. Just reach over and pull the little tab off to let the air pressure equalize better.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

And for whatever reason, It must be centered

Pet peeve of mine is when the "barista" aligns the drinking hole of the lid with the seam of the cup, effectively turning it into a dribble glass.

I have a love/hate relationship with SBs . . . obviously.
quade -

For me, it lets me make sure when I take a swig, its gonna go in my mouth and not spill on myself. And for whatever reason, It must be centered

How about the rest of you?

Hm. Well, again, with an open-topped cup the 'pour hole' is always centred. :D

And for whatever reason, It must be centered

Pet peeve of mine is when the "barista" aligns the drinking hole of the lid with the seam of the cup, effectively turning it into a dribble glass.

I have a love/hate relationship with SBs . . . obviously.

Rofl, I like your baristas sense of humor
IHYD

Anything with a pour hole would slow down my coffee consumption way too much. Open cup for me.

The problem I have with an open cup is that the truck bounces too much and it spills.

I use my own travel mug.
I can align the hole at the correct angle to the handle so that I know where it is without looking (or licking:P).

And I can rinse it and use it over and over again.
Zero landfill.

And I can get the "refill" price instead of the "new cup" price most places.:)
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

For me, it lets me make sure when I take a swig, its gonna go in my mouth and not spill on myself. And for whatever reason, It must be centered

I use a straw for my iced venti--no holes.

The only issue I had, was my aversion to using the "re-usable" straw that came with my venti to-go tumblers and not being able to find an acceptable throwaway straw to use everyday instead (since I make my iced-venti-three-pump-vanilla-almond-milk lattes at home. :))

So, the Starbucks manager gave me a huge bag of venti straws with a sweet note attached that read, "Just for Carrie". B|

I also have trouble with filling mine too full, though. I like four shots of espresso and sometimes I overestimate how much space my lid still will accomodate for when I screw it on and my espresso leaks down the side. :(
"Nature is cruel, but we don't have to be." ~ Temple Grandin

Lately they've been filling the cup too high. Makes it difficult to get the coffee out because of the back pressure.

Most people don't understand what that little pin-hole on the other side of the lid is for. It's to relieve the pressure difference between the inside and the outside of the cup. Sometimes they don't get popped out as much as they should. Just reach over and pull the little tab off to let the air pressure equalize better.

Today, we are giving instructions on coffee cup technology.
A sure sign of the end times. ;)

Douglas Adams wrote that there was no hope for
society because we printed instructions on the side
of a box of toothpicks.
:D:D

I use a straw for my iced venti--no holes.

The only issue I had, was my aversion to using the "re-usable" straw that came with my venti to-go tumblers and not being able to find an acceptable throwaway straw to use everyday instead (since I make my iced-venti-three-pump-vanilla-almond-milk lattes at home. :))

So, the Starbucks manager gave me a huge bag of venti straws with a sweet note attached that read, "Just for Carrie". B|

I also have trouble with filling mine too full, though. I like four shots of espresso and sometimes I overestimate how much space my lid still will accomodate for when I screw it on and my espresso leaks down the side. :(

are you hot or does he just feel bad for you? =D
IHYD

starbucks bad

local coffee shop good

True. However, in much the same way there's not always a fine dining establishment nearby, at least you can trust a certain level of consistency at every McDonald's you visit across the country. A Big Mac in LA is identical to a Big Mac in NY.

Ferreting out a coffee shop that knows how to pull a proper espresso shot and steam milk properly to pour a cappuccino, while rewarding, can be time consuming. They also have a tendency to not be where you currently are.

Sometimes you just need a jolt of caffeine and sugar in an atmosphere you can "trust." It may not be the best, but it's conveniently ubiquitous. The free wifi ain't bad either.

Again, I have a love/hate relationship with SBs. Love them for some reasons, hate them for others, but on balance they do serve a purpose.
quade -

Ive managed a local coffee shop/roaster since I was 15 and Im a little biased against the man cause they put a suckbucks right across the street 2 years ago

Totally understand. One of my favorite coffee shops in town has a sign by the cash register, "Friends don't let friends drink Starbucks."

YOUR advantage is you don't have to be like them. My guess is you can probably pour a bit of latte art in a porcelain "to stay" cup rather then having to blend up iced frappachinos for teenagers that don't know the difference between that and a McDonald's milkshake.
quade -

The advantage is you don't have to be like them. My guess is you can probably pour a bit of latte art in a porcelain "to stay" cup rather then having to blend up iced frappachinos for teenagers that don't know the difference between that and a McDonald's milkshake.

Latter art, me can do...and we have smoothies but I cringed everytime those teeny boppper assholes (Im only 20:P) orders a frappacino or whatever the fuck they call it...and we dont call them that either

I have a similar philosophy to quade's. I try to seek out local coffee shops whenever I can, but Starbucks is there if / when you need it as a known quantity of a certain quality level. Hotel lobbies. Airports. Situations I'm in fairly often, where I just need to caffeinate and get on with my day. But generally if I'm looking to hang out at the shop, or if I'm in my own neighborhood I'll hit the local place above Starbucks almost every time. And in the OAK airport Peet's trumps Starbucks every time (fortunately they're not far from each other so no matter where I am in the terminal I can go to Peet's).

Back to the original question - I use a straw, hot or cold, whether it's in a store-bought drip coffee or Americano with a paper cup and lid, or if I'm drinking homebrew in a travel mug. One of my criteria in choosing travel mugs is a good straw space.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Sounds like you have a classic drinking problem.

:D:D

Why didn't I think of that?:S
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message