Nataly

Does overcoming adversity make you a happier person?

They say time heals all wounds, and it's been my experience that no matter how awful I felt at one point in my life, the pain eventually *does* subside.. And after getting over the worst lows is always when I've felt most happy.

You would never intentionally lose all your money, possessions, friends, limbs, etc., but it seems that people who do experience this (and survive!) are happier afterwards (as opposed to coming back to neutral or feeling less happy overall). Wonder why that is? 'Cause you appreciate the value of something more when you lose it? Anyone else feel a whole lot happier after getting over something bad?

ETA: I gave pretty extreme examples, but the question is open to every degree of "bad" experiences - not necessarily just life-changing ones.
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Define adversity or the 'bad' stuff.

Although I've never gone through anything really bad, compared to what other people have gone through, I don't think I've gained anything from these experiences. They just left me in permanent state of numbness where nothing feels like anything and everything is just grey.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

A man who falls into a sewer and can climb out is usually infinitely more happy than the one who is simply flushed away.

That said, it sure would be nice if people could cover up the manholes so not as many people would fall in to begin with.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

:D:D:D

Why on *earth* do you proclaim to be the World's Most Boring Skydiver - you crack me up!! :D
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

That's a fairly broad statement.

Helping my oldest daughter through 2 years of counseling to get her emotional issues under control (very nice not having dishes and chairs thrown at me and not getting bit anymore) has been very rewarding, and she and I have a much better relationship for it.

Losing my construction business when my partner screwed me out of almost everything I owned and my soon-to-be ex-wife telling me this was my problem to fix has left me a bit more cynical. Working like a dog to keep nose above water was one thing when I was 19, but doing it again in my mid-30s has not been fun. Making good progress, though, btw....

Getting through the relentless ear infection I had last year that left me sitting on my butt for almost 4 months from the vertigo and taking 20% of the hearing in my right ear definitely made me happier.

We all go through things we could be plenty bitter about, but some perspective can usually help relieve some of the pain and frustration. Actually, beer can help with that, too....

I've still got my kids and a goofy, loving dog to remind me of the most important things in life.

Going through adversity sucks, but is part of life. Overcoming it has to make you feel better. But does it make you happier than if you had never been challenged? I don't know, except to say maybe you appreciate the good things more. I know I appreciated my marriage long before Vskydiver almost died. But sometimes I think of how empty I would be if I didn't have her, and I realize how good I have it. I guess that's not an answer 'cause I really don't have one. :)

I'm going to go with: That is what receiving oral is for.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I think, adversity makes a person stronger. To me, it's a 'guideline' to a person's character... how they handle the hard times. It sure makes the good times really good.

Chuck

Amen. :)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Not necessarily; although I agree it often makes you stronger and/or more self-resourceful. Some people who overcome adversity become quite embittered by the experience, and spend the following years being dour and antisocial.

Yes ..and no.

Before adversity you are more innocent- and can experience ignorant bliss

After surviving adversity- you no longer believe in forever but get to live like there is no tomorrow. After-adversity happiness is freedom and lack of fear and also intense pride if you are the reason for your survival.
Again and Again....face to face with the sky - RMR

To some extent, "overcoming" adversity implies to me that you are better for it, otherwise you would have merely survived it. At the end of the day, I think it's what people choose to make of it. We have so many choices about the attitudes we hold that we also control a lot of outcomes, at least from an emotional perspective. It's not perfect and there are a lot of things we just can't control, but taking it head on and being positive about the situation seems to make people happier than choosing to play the role of a victim.
TPM Sister #102

Time does_not_heal all wounds.

No, it has not made me happier.

I would rather have had all "good times and noodle salad".

Having said that, I_do_think ideally one should go without before having or having again because it makes for being less of an asshole afterward.
"Nature is cruel, but we don't have to be." ~ Temple Grandin