Ron

Question on legalized pot

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/2010-10-07/news/legalize-marijuana-in-florida/

So.... Can a company in Cali fire a person over a drug test if they have a prescription?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Well, here in Wisconsin there was a case over pre-employment testing for nicotine.

Companies didn't want to hire smokers (cigarette) due to the demonstrated higher health care costs, higher absenteeism and that sort of thing.

IIRC, it went to court and was decided (basically) that the employer couldn't discriminate against an employee engaging in conduct that was legal.

They can (and do) charge more for health insurance, but they can't fire or refuse to hire them.

http://www.morganlewis.com/pubs/LEPG05_Smoke_Fired.pdf

The smoking part is down a few pages.

I don't know how this will play out with pot, mainly because pot has been demonstrated to affect people for a day or two (or longer, I don't remember exactly). It will be interesting to watch.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Yes, they will fire you when insurance and liablity is involved.
Ie, working with heavy machinary, chucking tandems ect...

Even after passing of prop 19 this november, i expect to see difficultyy getting some job with thc in your system.
If prop 19 passes everyone can grow and make profit by smuggling to other state. So fuck real job, how abou that.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/2010-10-07/news/legalize-marijuana-in-florida/

So.... Can a company in Cali fire a person over a drug test if they have a prescription?

Yes. While use of marijuana for medical use is decriminalized here in California, it is still illegal under federal law, and companies can and do fire for positive drug tests.

Personally, I do not use illegal drugs, but I also refuse to work for an employer that mandates drug testing without cause. I don't have a problem with a company testing employees who give the employer cause to believe the employee is under the influence at work, but random testing just says that a company doesn't trust me, so why would I want to work there? I've got some prescription meds for my migraines that can give misleading results on a test, and I don't want to find myself in a position of having to justify my medical history to someone when it is simply none of their business. In my opinion, it is an unjustifiable invasion of privacy, and I want nothing to do with companies that have such policies. I know people with medical marijuana recommends that do the same. If a company wants a drug test, work somewhere else.

Just because the law is allowing people with certain medical conditions to legally smoke pot doesnt mean the employers have to change their policies to accommodate it when other medications are available.

Would you want a doctor, nurse, attorney, Truck driver or the President performing their job knowing they might have just smoked a dooby?
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

My job with the FAA makes me subject to random drug testing. We've often discussed at work what guidelines there'd have to be if marijuana was legalized. Since it seems to persist in the system, we figured you could only light up Friday night on a 3-day weekend. :D

When I had surgery last winter and was on all the painkillers, I had to wait 72 hours before returning to work. Even Benadryl is a 12 hour wait.

My job with the FAA makes me subject to random drug testing. We've often discussed at work what guidelines there'd have to be if marijuana was legalized. Since it seems to persist in the system, we figured you could only light up Friday night on a 3-day weekend. :D

When I had surgery last winter and was on all the painkillers, I had to wait 72 hours before returning to work. Even Benadryl is a 12 hour wait.

From what I recall, I think marijuana stays in your system a lot longer than that, and people test positive sometimes for weeks after the effects have worn off.

If you're doing air traffic control or something like that, restrictions on what you can take make sense. Taking something that impairs your judgment and then doing something like that would be very irresponsible. I can't drive a car or do other things like skydive when I'm on some of my medications, so I don't, and I don't need the threat of a drug test hanging over my head to figure that out, but I do understand employers testing in a situation like that. However, testing the cashiers at Wal-Mart makes no sense unless they appear to actually be impaired on the job.

If you do certain things, you have to accept that there may be medications you can't take if you want to continue doing those things, and people have to weigh their options with their doctor to see if the benefits of the medication are greater than the detrimental impact on areas of one's life.

President performing their job knowing they might have just smoked a dooby?

Hey, I liked the 90's.:ph34r:

I used to be a big pot head late 80s to 2000. I liked the 90s too...;)
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1

From what I recall, I think marijuana stays in your system a lot longer than that, and people test positive sometimes for weeks after the effects have worn off.

If you're doing air traffic control or something like that, restrictions on what you can take make sense. Taking something that impairs your judgment and then doing something like that would be very irresponsible. I can't drive a car or do other things like skydive when I'm on some of my medications, so I don't, and I don't need the threat of a drug test hanging over my head to figure that out, but I do understand employers testing in a situation like that. However, testing the cashiers at Wal-Mart makes no sense unless they appear to actually be impaired on the job.

If you do certain things, you have to accept that there may be medications you can't take if you want to continue doing those things, and people have to weigh their options with their doctor to see if the benefits of the medication are greater than the detrimental impact on areas of one's life.

Are you talking about a hair test, urine, or blood. With hair you can test 6 months back or longer. All depends on the length of the hair. Urine is based on how much water you drink a day you can flush your system in 24 hours. However, if your urine is to clear they will reject the sample. Blood is usually 24-48 hours from what I am told. The quanity and length of time a person has smoked plays a large factor with all the test.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1

I wasn't chronic back then, but I was joking about when Bill was in office. Stock market soaring, economy crankin', I enjoyed those days. Sorry to tip toe so close to SC material. :)

According to Wikipedia, marijuana can be detected in a urine test for "3 to 7 days, up to >30 days after heavy use and/or in users with high body fat"

That is true based on the length of yrs they have smoked. If a person smoke a few hits off a joint out of the blue and was tested 1-3 days later after flushing their system it will come up clean. If a person who took a month break after smoking for 10 yrs 1-3days later were tested they would test positive regardless how much water they drank. This is why most companies use hair testing for pre employment because it is the most accurate.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1

I wasn't chronic back then, but I was joking about when Bill was in office. Stock market soaring, economy crankin', I enjoyed those days. Sorry to tip toe so close to SC material. :)

Psst...I wasnt even thinking about the whole " i never smoked pot cause I didnt inhale thing" Completely forgot about that until just now...:D
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1

Agreed!

Like you, I rarely do illegal drugs. The last time I touched marijuana was 2 years ago, when I was suffering a lot of muscular pain from a shoulder dislocated in a plane crash.
And I quit drinking alcohol 14 years ago after I concluded that societal norms do not work for me.
OTOH, I resent employers invading my privacy.

If an employer asks me to pee in a bottle, then my boss has to lead by example and pee into a bottle first.

My bosses have done just that, so I can't complain too much.

I do resent being "guilty until proven innocent" but since they have caught at least 4 controllers at my place over the last 15 years or so, I can't say it isn't needed.:o:$

Our DZ has a drug testing policy in place for employees. If they think there's a problem, you need to go test. I'm okay with that. It doesn't affect my life style.

According to Wikipedia, marijuana can be detected in a urine test for "3 to 7 days, up to >30 days after heavy use and/or in users with high body fat"

That is true based on the length of yrs they have smoked. If a person smoke a few hits off a joint out of the blue and was tested 1-3 days later after flushing their system it will come up clean. If a person who took a month break after smoking for 10 yrs 1-3days later were tested they would test positive regardless how much water they drank. This is why most companies use hair testing for pre employment because it is the most accurate.

I think it's probably safe to say that most medical marijuana users smoke fairly often if they're treating a chronic condition, so finding employment that does not subject them to testing is probably a better alternative than drinking lots of water and hoping for the best.

Would you want a doctor, nurse, attorney, Truck driver or the President performing their job knowing they might have just smoked a dooby?

I wouldn't care. I love all these people that tell me what it does to me and it affects me for this long, yada, yada, yada. They don't have a clue how it affects me. :S:S Edit: Or effects, I really think it is affects.

"Don't! Get! Eliminated!"

I wouldn't care. I love all these people that tell me what it does to me and it affects me for this long, yada, yada, yada. They don't have a clue how it affects me. :S:S Edit: Or effects, I really think it is affects.

Exactly, I was talking to a Police officer here, they now have saliva test for weed... Well if you smoked a joint on a friday night and got tested saturday afternoon you'll be positive... But are you still stoned? No way...

I know people who smoke one and will just crash on a couch, others that can go surfing in massive waves putting there life on the line and doing just fine. Hell they are even more focused on their riding according to some.

Effects of marijuana vary way too much from one person to another imo
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
Dudeist Skydiver #9

My bosses have done just that, so I can't complain too much.

I do resent being "guilty until proven innocent" but since they have caught at least 4 controllers at my place over the last 15 years or so, I can't say it isn't needed.:o:$

Our DZ has a drug testing policy in place for employees. If they think there's a problem, you need to go test. I'm okay with that. It doesn't affect my life style.

I'm wondering what those four were caught for, and if they were actually using what the test indicated. At any given moment, depending on how recently I've had a migraine, my prescriptions may cause positives for amphetamines, THC, opiates or ecstasy. And I do not use drugs other than those my doctor has prescribed. I do not use medical marijuana, and will not use medical marijuana as long as it is illegal under federal law, even though it could probably provide significant relief for my condition, possibly with far fewer side effects than the handful of chemicals I currently rely on.

So, drug testing me is pretty much worthless, and would put me in the position of having to provide my medical information to someone who is not involved in my treatment. My health information stays between me, my doctor, and whoever I choose to share it with. I refuse to be put in the position of having to prove myself innocent by allowing someone to paw through my medical records.

So a guy driving a semi truck smoking pot is fine with you? :S Or is it fine until he plows into a family of 4 on the interstate?:S

The President makes the decision to bomb a country while HIGH because he was not thinking clearly. Oh, wait bad example..:P

I was not suggest how it affects an individual person. I was talking would you like one of those above people stoned performing medical care, driving on the same fwy/hwys, and so on.

Frankly I dont care what you do in your own home or to your own body as long as it is not going to affect me and others based on what you do for a living.

If a person wants a job in todays society 90% of them require drug testing. Those are the jobs that pay more and have better long term benefits.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1

So a guy driving a semi truck smoking pot is fine with you? Crazy Or is it fine until he plows into a family of 4 on the interstate?

I'm absolutely not cool with that. Just like I'm absolutely not cool with the driver taking nips off a flask while he is driving.

But if that driver wants to smoke a little weed when he is at home why should anyone have the right to tell him what he can or can't do.
Peace, love and hoppiness