NewGuy2005

Cat Breed for an Apartment Dweller

My 78 year old mother is wanting to share her 2 bedroom apartment with a cat. Are some breeds more suitable to this environment than others, or would any cat from the pound do the job.

She heard that English Shorthairs or a Russian Blues are quiet and content to stay indoors.

Suggestions?

My 78 year old mother is wanting to share her 2 bedroom apartment with a cat. Are some breeds more suitable to this environment than others, or would any cat from the pound do the job.

She heard that English Shorthairs or a Russian Blues are quiet and content to stay indoors.

Suggestions?

They all seem content to sit on thier asses all day, but Russian blues seem more adept at being furry vegetables , and make great companians...B|

Suggestions?

This.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

One reason I got my seal-point siamese is that they're very active, especially the males. Jack's sisters were all very docile and cuddly, but he is much more animated/active, and demands attention from everyone who enters the house!
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

My male siamese is really active too! He's not as talkitive as others I've had, but he can get mouthy when he wants something.

I agree with getting a rescue kitty (both of mine are rescues), there are so many loving cats needing good homes.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

"Rescue" cats!

+1 The shelter has so many good animals that need a home!

+2 That and they already come up to date with their shots and usually come with the micro chip in case the little fucker runs off. All my pets growing up came either from a shelter or were found homeless. FWIW, I live in an appartment and the only thing that keeps me from adopting one (aside from being in the military and nobody to watch it if I deploy) is that my appt charges a $400 pet deposit plus an increase in my rent by $25 per month (non returnable).
Muff #5048

"Rescue" cats!

+1 The shelter has so many good animals that need a home!

Agreed. That's the only place I've ever gotten a pet.

I've thought about it since I made the original post and remembered that a lot of the cats at the shelter are given up by owners that know the cats really well. They often provide a short description of their behavior. That will give her a better idea of the cat's personality than a generic description of a breed.

Apartment dwellers breeding with cats is NOT recommended.
Ewwwwwww

As long as the apartment dweller and the cat both consent to it, who are you to condemn it?:|
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Apartment dwellers breeding with cats is NOT recommended.
Ewwwwwww

As long as the apartment dweller and the cat both consent to it, who are you to condemn it?:|

Well, at least somebody is gettin' some pussy.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Suggestions?

any cat will stay indoors if raised indoors. if they don't know what outside is, they won't miss it. That said, at her age, a kitten may not be the best choice for the cat or for her, as kittens can be very high energy and very underfoot. The new kitten in my place has been practically swinging from chandeliers. Cats don't really have a tendency to door dash like dogs do... they tend to sneak if doors are left open, so if she's careful, the cat probably won't get out, and if they are a dasher, they can be confined to one room when the front door is going to be opened, especially if it's only for a couple of hours for errands or lunch or something like that. As long as the cat has a scratching post and a litter box and cat toys, they'll be fine for a while.

I'd suggest a middle aged cat, maybe around six to ten years old, with no current health problems (or very minor ones that may just require monitoring or a special diet, not daily medication since that can be difficult or hard to remember), as indoor cats can live between 16-18 years on average. If she's not particular to breed (it doesn't sound like she wants a particular look or some certain personality beyond content to stay in), I'd suggest looking through the cat profiles at www.bestfriends.org and if you find a cat that looks like a good fit, give them a call and ask all your questions. The shelter is in Utah, but the never let distance stand between a critter and a home. They've got a network of volunteers all over the USA that will drive relay style to get a critter to it's home (depending on timing and location, I may end up being one of those volunteers!).

I would also suggest an ASPCA pet health insurance plan. The information is at www.aspcapetinsurance.com. I've had it for a couple of years now for both my critters, and it's saved me a lot of money and given me a lot of peace of mind. I took my cat to the vet on Sunday for an upset tummy... since that's such a random symptom and could be minor or serious, they needed to do a lot of tests. $500 in tests later, it turned out to be something minor, but the insurance is going to pay $400 of that. An unexpected $100 vet bill is a lot easier to handle than a $500 one... and when the dog ate a pair of headphones, I was even more grateful for the insurance. (there's another pet insurance company called VPI out there, but the feedback I've heard about them has been pretty negative, and our vet stopped carrying their brochures because his clients were so unhappy. they're cheaper, but seems like most people hate them... we've loved ASPCA insurance!)

And if you really want to spoil the cat (or your mother), the www.catgenie.com totally rocks. It's an automatic catbox that hooks into the plumbing. It's stupid easy to install (literally a five minute job in most cases), and you never have to scoop litter or take out litter or smell a dirty catbox. The cat goes in, ten minutes later, the cat genie scoops the box, flushes everything away, washes the litter (which is made of totally non-porous material and just exists to give the cats something to scratch in) in a sterilizing solution and water, dries the litter, and leaves it clean and ready to go for next use. Looks pricey, but one solution cartridge lasts me about six months and the price is between $20-$25 each depending on how many you buy at once, and I used to spend about that much a month on cat litter, so the cat genie has paid for itself by now. Their customer service is awesome, and I've found it to be worry free.

I cant help you any with your search, but a friend posted this recently on facebook and I thought it was cute :)

Excerpts from a Dog's Daily Diary:

8:00am: Dog food! My favorite thing!

9:30am: A car ride! My favorite thing!

9:40am: Walk in the park! My favorite thing!

10:30am: Got rubbed and petted! My favorite thing!

12:00pm: Lunch! My favorite thing!

1:00pm: Played in the yard! My favorite thing!

3:00pm: Wagged my tail! My favorite thing!

5:00pm: Milk bones! My favorite thing!

7:00pm: Got to play ball! My favorite thing!

8:00pm: Wow! Watched TV with my master! My favorite thing!

11:00pm: Sleeping on the bed! My favorite thing!

Excerpts from a Cat's Daily Diary: Day 683 of my captivity: My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and myself are fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets. Although I make my contempt for the rations perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in order to keep up my strength. The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of escape. In an attempt to disgust them, I once again vomit on the floor. Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly demonstrates what I am capable of. However, they merely made condescending comments about what a "good little hunter" I am. The audacity!There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the event. However, I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my confinement was due to the power of "allergies." I must learn what this means, and how to use it to my advantage. Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one of my tormenters by weaving around her feet as she was walking. I must try this again tomorrow -- but at the top of the stairs. I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and snitches. The dog receives special privileges. He is regularly released --and seems to be more than willing to return. He is obviously retarded! The bird has got to be an informant. I observe him communicating with the guards regularly. I am certain that he reports my every move. The captors have arranged protective custody for him in an elevated cell……so he is safe...for now.…