Jbag

Serious-petition for BASE jumping in national parks

Which is why the government is reluctant to consider this. Between liability and the cost of recovery/rescue, even climbers are lucky to get to do their sport in national parks. I'm not a proponent of more government control necessarily, but sometimes just that document that shows you have X qualifications, or have shown proficiency to Y standard puts the mind at ease at least in part (particularly to those who don't know anything about the sport).

I wasn't aware climbers had a governing body or qualifications.

Sorry for being so vague. The difference is that 1) climbing is a lot better understood than BASE jumping, 2) climbers usually employ several safety apparatus (yes, I know there are plenty who solo free-climb, but let's go with what the average person is accustomed to seeing).

I'd also be interested to hear the difference in fatality rates between rock climbers and BASE jumpers. Perhaps they are about equal (I don't know, I really would be interested to see the numbers), but again, for the many more people who have ZERO exposure to jumping, the thought of BASE jumping is so foreign as to appear unreasonable; whereas even a delusion of the safety of climbing that comes from the indoor climbing gyms can make the uninitiated feel more confident in that sport's overall safety.
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

I was new into the sport in those days. El Cap was on my list of things to do. Disrespectful skydivers are responsible for the current state of affairs! Learn from that, please.

This petition is a great first step. Go in with a responsible attitude and respect for the parks and we may have a chance. I'm signing.... good luck.

Signer #895

This is my understanding also. I know a LOT of responsible base jumpers that don't leave a mess or tear up property and I think should get access to about anything they can launch. But I know just as many that I'd place bets on would burn the benefit for everyone else just because of carelessness or even just because of ego and idiocy. The 2nd type seems to be growing in leaps and bounds of late.

I'll still sign it - for any good it'll do.

Edit: interesting preamble - someone illegally basejumps ---> therefore please sign the petition

1 - illegally jump and get caught as a means to go to court and fight the law - that makes sense

2 - use it to justify a petition is interesting, but unrelated and counter to success

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

It only takes one moron to ruin it for the rest. Like Halfpastniner said, it would be carnage out there if they gave us a go. Id bet me left bollock it would get shut down as we ruin it within 2 to 3 years.

Edit: Halfpastniner is still gay.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

It only takes one moron to ruin it for the rest. Like Halfpastniner said, it would be carnage out there if they gave us a go. Id bet me left bollock it would get shut down as we ruin it within 2 to 3 years.

Edit: Halfpastniner is still gay.

You better watch your crippled ass at BD son!

fyi: people like this is why legal base in YOS would be a spectacular bloodbath. http://www.facebookvideodown.com/kl-carnage-hq--28872.html
BASE 1384

fyi: people like this is why legal base in YOS would be a spectacular bloodbath. http://www.facebookvideodown.com/kl-carnage-hq--28872.html

wow. they are so cool. i seriously wish i could be that stupid. . .oh wait i mean cool.

and i couldnt agree more with you.
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

wow. they are so cool. i seriously wish i could be that stupid. . .oh wait i mean cool.

and i couldnt agree more with you.

Anyone have video of all the idiots that fucked up whiel climbing?

When you live on the edge, stupid people will make stupid mistakes, is that a reason to stop everyone?

Let Darwin have their dumb asses!

I could be miss quoting, but I heard the complaint put out by the NPS is that the "Sound" of an opening canopy bothers hikers and campers and anyone who may be in the middle of a tree hug. Infringing on their rights to peace and quiet. Then, of course, they would have to watch us flying around for 10 or 20 seconds. Hopefully they aren't hanging around under the Big Walls when a climber tosses their bag of shit down in the bio-degradeable bag. A practice OK'd by the park, of course ( isn't that 'Delivery by Air'...? ) Are BASE jumpers that rude ? I never thought so. See you at the exit point.
Life is short ... jump often.

People are rude regardless of what sport they participate in. Jumpers get a bad rap because people already think we are crazy.

Great example was this weekend at Bridge Day. Anyone who has been to BD knows it gets crazy. This year because the weather was better there were a LOT more rafters and campers at the campground than the previous year. Believe it or not it was the rafters and campers that got ridiculous this year. Hammered drunk doesnt even begin to explain it, driving wasted up and down the campground roads at all hours of the night, stumbling lost form one fire to the next, trashing the hot tub and deck areas, screaming all night long, blowing airhorns, reving their redneck mobiles with missing mufflers while laying on the horn, and just being overly obnoxious. Now I party and I party hard, but this was ridiculous.

Now, with all that being said, who do you thing is going to get blamed for any trouble that happened this past weekend?

The problem is it's PEOPLE that fuck up, regardless of sport.
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

Thanks for your responce. I've never been to Bridge Day, I can see how it could be a different atmosphere than a small group of jumpers ( make trouble, leave trash/evidence = get busted = burn site ). I don't doubt that both jumpers ( maybe a couple ) and the general public participated in the problems, BUT the jumpers will get the Black Eye. I guess next year will be the deciding factor. Be Safe.
Life is short ... jump often.