Jbag

Serious-petition for BASE jumping in national parks

Hey guys, as some of you may or may not know, right now it is illegal for BASE jumpers to enjoy themselves in national parks how they want to enjoy it. there is a petition right now going around to try and get this law changed. here is the link, it takes 2 seconds and you can potentially change an outdated law that is backed by emotion and not real reason in the national parks service, here is the link.

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/base-jumping.html
IHYD

Hey guys, as some of you may or may not know, right now it is illegal for BASE jumpers to enjoy themselves in national parks how they want to enjoy it. there is a petition right now going around to try and get this law changed. here is the link, it takes 2 seconds and you can potentially change an outdated law that is backed by emotion and not real reason in the national parks service, here is the link.

While I would love to see it open up.. I do not see it happening. The people in the NPS are firmly entrenched in protecting their pets... Pet animals....pet trees.. and even their pet rocks.

The disease among them runs deep and they only allow the American people into their sanctuaries..... GRUDGINGLY. They are the only interested in hugging their trees and their rocks... and god forbid anyone might want to take a leap of of one of their babies:S:S:S

Be careful... you do not want to mess up their "quality wilderness experiences" for them:S:S:S:S

While I would love to see it open up.. I do not see it happening. The people in the NPS are firmly entrenched in protecting their pets... Pet animals....pet trees.. and even their pet rocks.

The disease among them runs deep and they only allow the American people into their sanctuaries..... GRUDGINGLY. They are the only interested in hugging their trees and their rocks... and god forbid anyone might want to take a leap of of one of their babies:S:S:S

Be careful... you do not want to mess up their "quality wilderness experiences" for them:S:S:S:S

she pretty much summed up what I was gonna say. But im all for them opening them up for jumpers, so of course i signed it. good luck guys.
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

I have thought for 20 years now that they are missing out on a HUGE fee opportunity to fund better ways to preserve and protect our national treasures. BASE harms nothing in this respect.... ok so once in a while they might need to clean up someone who splats.. or leaves a lot of dna if they go pounding down a cliff face.. but hell.. climbers do it all the time. In my experience.. when humans meet granite or even sandstone when they pound their bodies into it... the rocks always seem to win. You would hadly notice the stains after a couple days anyway.

and i understand that, sadly :/....but i figure it doesnt hurt to try being backed by some of the BASE companies... the NPS is out of control especially with their latest tasing of a BASE jumper b/c he jumped off El Cap. i figure this couldnt hurt any, we are already past 700 signatures in 2 days.
IHYD

I have thought for 20 years now that they are missing out on a HUGE fee opportunity to fund better ways to preserve and protect our national treasures. BASE harms nothing in this respect.... ok so once in a while they might need to clean up someone who splats.. or leaves a lot of dna if they go pounding down a cliff face.. but hell.. climbers do it all the time. In my experience.. when humans meet granite or even sandstone when they pound their bodies into it... the rocks always seem to win. You would hadly notice the stains after a couple days anyway.

exactly, its not like people dont get killed in parks all the time for MUCH stupider reasons, hell i was hiking one day to find a crowd of people watching 2 morons play with 2 black bear cubs while momma bear was not 20 yards away. . . seriously!?! how stupid can you get. if the parks want to ban something they should ban stupid people, not BASE jumpers. but then if they did that theyd make no money. . . .eh.
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

Yet they let climbers, hikers, bikers and hanglider pilots all over their parks. :|

They just don't like/understand jumpers. What happened at El Cap in the 80's didn't help our cause either. :S

Yet they let climbers, hikers, bikers and hanglider pilots all over their parks. :|

They just don't like/understand jumpers. What happened at El Cap in the 80's didn't help our cause either. :S

the BASE protester dying on a protest jump? ( i think that was off el cap, right?)

Long before that, in 1980, Base jumping was made legal, permit required. Supposedly trash at the top became a problem, plus the "Flatbed Gang" that used a truck to take them up the trail instead of walking. I was registered to jump in '81, but it was banned by then. [:/]

The fatality didn't help things either. Bad stuff. :(

Long before that, in 1980, Base jumping was made legal, permit required. Supposedly trash at the top became a problem, plus the "Flatbed Gang" that used a truck to take them up the trail instead of walking. I was registered to jump in '81, but it was banned by then. [:/]

The fatality didn't help things either. Bad stuff. :(

I was new into the sport in those days. El Cap was on my list of things to do. Disrespectful skydivers are responsible for the current state of affairs! Learn from that, please.

This petition is a great first step. Go in with a responsible attitude and respect for the parks and we may have a chance. I'm signing.... good luck.

Signer #895
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

JohnMitchell--ohh ok. Gotcha. Well that sucks :(

Ya Jan was the one i was talking about. I thought it was earlier than that. I read the story a while back. Fuckin tragic. :(

I signed, but gotta disagree with you in part.

In 1995, working on "Echoes of Tenaya," we had a film permit (very expensive even back then).
Climbers were not allowed on the face, but BASE jumpers hosed the morning shots. When the rangers approached them, the BASE jumpers and rangers had quite an argument.
I'm told they left a mess on top, but didn't see it for myself.

We're our own worst enemies. Both sides have hopefully matured because if by any chance this movement wins some relief, it won't take much to lose it again.

I signed a while back but it wont change anything.

Right now is a bad time for BASE too, i mean with it exploding into the mainstream we have more jumpers than ever and in turn that means more fatalities than ever.

Open El Cap up and i bet we'd have a lot of people not ready hucking themselves off.

As far as i can tell BASE has had 3 stages so far

1.) Experimental
2.) A small elite who had mentors and skydives
3.) The FJC era of every skydiver and his dog doing an FJC and thinking they know what they are doing.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

Did you see the video of LB posted last week? WS'ers lined up with an hour plus wait.
"mainstream" is a term that no one likely ever thought would be associated with BASE.

Didn't see it but i believe it.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

I signed a while back but it wont change anything.

Right now is a bad time for BASE too, i mean with it exploding into the mainstream we have more jumpers than ever and in turn that means more fatalities than ever.

Open El Cap up and i bet we'd have a lot of people not ready hucking themselves off.

As far as i can tell BASE has had 3 stages so far

1.) Experimental
2.) A small elite who had mentors and skydives
3.) The FJC era of every skydiver and his dog doing an FJC and thinking they know what they are doing.

Yup. There would definitely be a carnage phase if El Cap gets opened. Unless they could somehow stop low timers and retards from jumping.

Obviously i signed it too. As a citizen its my park, I pay for it.
BASE 1384

I signed it as there is no harm (since my name is already on the NPS "The List") but there is no way this petition is going to do anything.

To quote my BASE jumper turned NPS friend:

"Online signatures are about as useful as a football bat."
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

Hope this doesn't get moved because of this question. I know that according to the '09-'10 SIM, USPA does not address BASE. So, does any formal instruction program exist for this? I'm under the impression it truly is a self-governing discipline. Please correct me if I state any misinformation.

If there were some kind of special license endorsement, or a special qualification (like PADI has for specialized SCUBA dives), perhaps the Dept of Interior might feel better about at least taking the proposal for consideration. Thoughts?
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

There is no regulation.

In my opinion any attempt at regulation would prove futile as obeying authority isnt really in the spirit of the sport.
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

There is no regulation.

In my opinion any attempt at regulation would prove futile as obeying authority isnt really in the spirit of the sport.

Which is why the government is reluctant to consider this. Between liability and the cost of recovery/rescue, even climbers are lucky to get to do their sport in national parks. I'm not a proponent of more government control necessarily, but sometimes just that document that shows you have X qualifications, or have shown proficiency to Y standard puts the mind at ease at least in part (particularly to those who don't know anything about the sport).

I did sign the petition, and hope BASE jumpers get more opportunities, but that's just my 2 cents about why the DoI may be so against this.
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

Which is why the government is reluctant to consider this. Between liability and the cost of recovery/rescue, even climbers are lucky to get to do their sport in national parks. I'm not a proponent of more government control necessarily, but sometimes just that document that shows you have X qualifications, or have shown proficiency to Y standard puts the mind at ease at least in part (particularly to those who don't know anything about the sport).

I wasn't aware climbers had a governing body or qualifications.