AggieDave

Anyone know how to fix a fridge?

Turned out to be the relay for the compressor. $150 and about an hour of a repair tech's time and we're back in business. We also now have an empty fridge (didn't catch it in time to save anything but the vodka in the freezer).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZea1wC-cHU

That explains the hard start kits (probably got one installed now)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Our referigerator started a high-pitched squeal when it starts-up. Like you, I got the shop vac out and cleaned the dust bunnies and such but that didn't help. The fan turns quietly and the freezer and all, works. Like you, I can fix a lot of things but appliances kick my butt. Our fridge is about 4-1/2 - 5-yrs. old.

Chuck

Turned out to be the relay for the compressor. $150 and about an hour of a repair tech's time and we're back in business. We also now have an empty fridge (didn't catch it in time to save anything but the vodka in the freezer).

I was going to tell you to replace the relay, just didn't see your thread before you had a pro do it. The same thing happened to mine, and the local appliance parts store suggested trying the relay, only about $30 and really easy to replace so it was worth a try. $150 isn't too bad a price for a successful repair.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Sounds familiar...

Except we noticed the problem when we returned from a week's holidays. The smell was quite... unique.
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

Sounds familiar...

Except we noticed the problem when we returned from a week's holidays. The smell was quite... unique.

Kind of like the smell of a dead body, as in, "you never forget that smell"!:S

Anyone know how to fix a fridge? It's running, just not cooling near like it should (freezer was in the 50's). Just cleaned the dust bunnies under/behind the fridge out. The condenser was hot and the fan was running. The fridge just stopped running this morning with no previous warning and is only 4 years old.

I can hear the fridge clicking on every 90 seconds or so.

Ideas?

I'm good with cars and computers, I'm not any good with appliances.[:/]

1) Find Midge - absolutly a wiz at fridge
2) Offer him a some partridge porridge
3) Drive him to the fridge on a ridgeid
4) Don't forget to go under the bridge

(This answer has been abridged)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun