amstalder

Heart Rate Moniters

Ok, so I found the old threads on it. And Polar seems to be the brand most recommended... However which one is YOUR favorite??

And does anyone use a Timex HRM? There are so many options, and it's hard to pick when I'm buying as a gift.

Anyone have one with a stopwatch? Better yet is a stopwatch super important? Seems most of the polar brand ones do not.

Thanks for the help!

Ok, so I found the old threads on it. And Polar seems to be the brand most recommended... However which one is YOUR favorite??

And does anyone use a Timex HRM? There are so many options, and it's hard to pick when I'm buying as a gift.

Anyone have one with a stopwatch? Better yet is a stopwatch super important? Seems most of the polar brand ones do not.

Thanks for the help!

Here is the one I use.

http://www.matadorrecords.com/matablog/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/Pacemaker.JPG
http://www.medtronic.com/crm/performance/ipg/kappa-700-dr-21.html

Thanks for the help!

Here is the one I use.

http://www.matadorrecords.com/matablog/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/Pacemaker.JPG
http://www.medtronic.com/crm/performance/ipg/kappa-700-dr-21.html

I bet that one works great, but from what I hear pacemakers do not like Blackhawks. I'm sure my dear husband would not be happy with my gift if it put him out of work [:/]... Better yet, I wouldnt be happy. That would mean I'd have to get a job! :o

I've used Polar monitors in various iterations for years, I've never had problems with them. Check the details on Timex, I don't think that they show heart rate continuously - could be wrong, I know that was the case with a Timex that a mate bought a few yers back

They do have a selection of monitors with the chest strap from what I've seen. I think it's just going to be a matter of making a decision. I will probably go with Polar though. My husband and I have problems with losing Timexs for some reason (all the other brands make it, just not Timex).

My wife does Triathlons, so a couple of years ago I bought her a Garmin Forerunner 305 GPS Receiver With Heart Rate Monitor. It's the bee's knees.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerunner-Receiver-Heart-Monitor/dp/B000CSWCQA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289959226&sr=8-1
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I've used many different HR monitors, mostly Polars, but my favorite happens to be Sports Instruments. They are great monitors and you get more features for your $$ than with a Polar. There are quite a few models but here's a link for one I just did a quick search on.

http://www.thatshealthy.com/Sports_Instruments_Pro_7_p/sports%20instruments%20pro%207.htm
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

garmin is great. we have the forerunner 405 and love it. i also have a suunto x6hr that i love as well. i've had excellent customer service from suunto as well. I recently sent in a 6 year old watch to be fixed and they just replaced it even though it was well out of warrenty. they even sent me a box to ship it to them in, so i didn't even pay shipping.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

My wife does Triathlons, so a couple of years ago I bought her a Garmin Forerunner 305 GPS Receiver With Heart Rate Monitor. It's the bee's knees.

Snap!!!
How weird is that B|

amstalder
As a rule the GPS equiped monitors are very accurate but tend to be bulky and have no real battery life. They are a pure training tool.
The footpod equiped watches/monitors like most Polars double as a time piece but are not as accurate in measuring distance. The heat rate component of both generic types works well if you stick to a respected brand.

I use three different kinds:
1. Redhead = high heart rate. (fear)
2. Brunette = average heart rate. (I can live with that)
3. Blonde = heart stopper. (holy hell, I'm gonna die!)
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

The Forerunner is great but is much more than just a heart rate monitor. It comes with a higher price tag. I've used a Polar for my heart rate monitor. The watch that came with my model has a built in stop-watch with some split time capabilities as well. I've not had the built-in footpod on any of my running items.

I think either work okay, just be sure they features on the model you buy are what you want.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

The Forerunner is great but is much more than just a heart rate monitor. It comes with a higher price tag. I've used a Polar for my heart rate monitor. The watch that came with my model has a built in stop-watch with some split time capabilities as well. I've not had the built-in footpod on any of my running items.

I think either work okay, just be sure they features on the model you buy are what you want.

Yeah I dont want to get him the GPS or footpad types, just one that monitors heartrate (duh), a calorie estimator (know it's not perfectly accurate, but he likes having a basic idea... it's actually what gave me the idea for this gift), and a stopwatch. And look fairly normal, which doesnt seem to be a problem. I will check out all the suggestions posted! Thanks everyone :)

I've used Garmin GPS Devices in the past several years I use a 310xt for running and have an edge 705 for cycling... Both of them Have ANT+ based wireless and seems to work pretty well. They're also GPS devices and can be used to determine how fast I'm moving, how far I've traveled, etc...

but before I started using the Garmin wrist GPS devices I had a Polar HRM and which worked quite well...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Polar makes many different training computers/monitors. Pick one that you will use and has the functions you want.

My suggestion is to also find one that comes with the Polar WearLink®+ transmitter.

It is much more comfortable than the standard T31 transmitter (plastic strap). After years of use, my T-31 finally died and I paid the extra money for the WearLink. It is a much better unit, more comfortable and I get much more stable readings from it..

Works great for the wrist computer and the machines at the gym pick it up.

I use mine every trip to the gym - just set the machine for the heart rate I want and go...

Once the plane takes off, you're gonna have to land - Might as well jump out!!

I use three different kinds:
1. Redhead = high heart rate. (fear)
2. Brunette = average heart rate. (I can live with that)
3. Blonde = heart stopper. (holy hell, I'm gonna die!)

I think you got #1 and #3 reversed.:P
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Ok...since nobody else is gonna do it...
Get out your Webster's and look up moniters, Miss College Kid.
:D:D:P

I have been looking! Now I'm asking for opinions :P

I think he was trying to bring attention to the fact that there is no 'e' in monitors.

;)

And I'm a drop out!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I think he was trying to bring attention to the fact that there is no 'e' in monitors.

;)

And I'm a drop out!

Shit. I got it right all through the thread but missed the fucking title. Sorry guys.

And I cant even edit the title anymore.. This is going to bug me all day. And I have 3 HUGE tests today! Gah!

;)

And I'm a drop out!

Shit. I got it right all through the thread but missed the fucking title. Sorry guys.

And I cant even edit the title anymore.. This is going to bug me all day. And I have 3 HUGE tests today! Gah!

And your Neo-Natal checkup - don't forget that.:D:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun