monkycndo

Folks, watch for motorcycles on the road

Somehow we see pedestrians though.
I find that odd.

Never claimed to be perfect.

Sadly we don’t always see pedestrians now do we? Or cars or trucks for that matter. People miss seeing them all the time. Defensive driving with your head on a swivel is our only chance on a cycle cause they are out to kill us. Even then they might still get you.

Once someone leaves their car, they become pedestrians. While driving, they at least have a frame of reference of where to look and what to expect from pedestrians. A non-riding driver has no idea what a motorcycle is capable of or the issues faced by motorcyclists.

When I first started driving, I had no idea of all the things I should be looking for. When I got a job driving large delivery trucks, had to become more aware of my surroundings because my slow responding behemoth truck took up that much more of those surroundings myself.

I think all drivers training courses should include some type of simple simulator for stopping distances and blind spots of various vehicles. From motorcycles to big trucks.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

My FB status from a couple of days ago

"I'm glad you make the time to take your child to school in the morning-now please watch what you're doing. Little Billy will be traumatized if you run over the nice biker."

After a lady holding a phone to her ear, looking at her kid in the passenger seat tried really hard to hurt me with her SUV[:/]

You are only as strong as the prey you devour

"I'm glad you make the time to take your child to school in the morning-now please watch what you're doing. Little Billy will be traumatized if you run over the nice biker."

After a lady holding a phone to her ear, looking at her kid in the passenger seat tried really hard to hurt me with her SUV[:/]

Just had to lock them up an hour ago riding home from work. Guy pulled out from a development with a phone to his ear.

[:/]

Mine was similar from a few weeks ago - referencing the lady who stopped at the stop sign while turning around to check on her kids in the back seat - and began moving forward without even turning around. Had I, as a pedestrian, not been aware, she would have run me over even though I had the right of way.

Like monkycndo, I think the thing that increased my awareness and defensive skills was driving large vehicles - in my case it was transit buses in college. I both took and taught defensive driving classes in that job. Our safety record as drivers was dependent upon whether an accident was preventable, not whether it was our fault. If we didn't do everything we could to prevent an accident from occurring, even if we were "right" we still got dinged. It fosters a very different attitude towards the road and all the people on it. If only everyone had that attitude...
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I spent the first half of September riding from Texas to Montana and back. 13 states, 4300 miles, 16 days. There were lots of oblivious drivers trying to kill us in most of those states, but I have never experienced anything like Montana before. It honestly felt like one continuous game of chicken - like the cages were seriously trying to kill us. Amazing.

Other than that, it was one of the best rides I have ever done. :-)

I spent the first half of September riding from Texas to Montana and back. 13 states, 4300 miles, 16 days. There were lots of oblivious drivers trying to kill us in most of those states, but I have never experienced anything like Montana before. It honestly felt like one continuous game of chicken - like the cages were seriously trying to kill us. Amazing.

Until the next one....;)

Little Billy/suzy will be a lifetime trying to forget humn parts scattered all over the car.....

We went to Glacier National Park last June, which also involved a 3hr drive from the airport. Driving through that part of the state I was amazed by how horribly bad everyone drove. That and the very large number of little white crosses on the side of the road. I have never seen that many in that short of a stretch. That and I noticed that a very high percentage of people did not wear seat belts (its hard to turn off that "look for it" switch).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

We went to Glacier National Park last June, which also involved a 3hr drive from the airport. Driving through that part of the state I was amazed by how horribly bad everyone drove. That and the very large number of little white crosses on the side of the road. I have never seen that many in that short of a stretch. That and I noticed that a very high percentage of people did not wear seat belts (its hard to turn off that "look for it" switch).

Hell, I'm not even a cop, and I notice that, especially when it is kids...

Dude I watch for motorcycles everyday....

Especially trying to get them to take me around for a ride....

One time I hopped on the back of a bike...it was CPD (Chicago Police)
He took me around lake shore drive before dropping me back off at the club.
Best Girl Scout Ever.

Well, horrible drivers, poor seat belt usage, then toss in EMS coverage areas so large that most of the "Golden Hour" has passed before EMS even arrives on scene.

Makes all the little white crosses a little less surprising, doesn't it?

I've ridden motorcycles for over 20 years. Near misses are part of the game. Add in the fact that I drive for a living, and I have gotten pretty good at "reading" traffic. Not perfect by any means, but I can make a pretty good guess as to who is going to pull out on me and who (probably) won't.

And I've also learned to look (at least) twice before I pull out. I miss seeing motorcycles, bicycles, pedestrians, ect. on a regular basis with the first look. Small stuff hides in the blind spots. Both the physical ones in the vehicles and the physiolgical ones in our eyes from the optic nerve.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Well, horrible drivers, poor seat belt usage, then toss in EMS coverage areas so large that most of the "Golden Hour" has passed before EMS even arrives on scene.

Makes all the little white crosses a little less surprising, doesn't it?

Add in a culture that condones an enormous amount of drunk driving.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

That oen always reminds me o the redlight runner..

I was leaving my best friend/blood brother's funeral, He was killed while riding his bike,(biker funeral), I made it 3 blocks away , when an Old man ran a redlight....(mentioned earlier)

I watched as my front fork slit the cars door like a can opener, and the passengers face was frooze in fear..(his wife) Interesting hwo shit happens in slow motion when the adrinalin kicks in....

I flew over the top of the car, (probably the only thing that saved me)

The driver was ticketed for failure to yield, and driving without his glasses....>:(

BTW , my bike was so folded up, it fit into the trunk of my buddies 67 impala, and we were able to close the lid...>:(

To be fair, a 67 Impala's truck is large enough to hold a minimum of 3 dead hookers and still have room left over for the coke...

B|:ph34r:
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."