npgraphicdesign

Where to go skiing?

veil, steamboat springs, breckenridge, snowy range, are all world famous skii places. LOADS of runs.

Got lots of money???

All the "TOP" world famous skii places tend to be a bit overpriced. Many other not so famous places have runs and facilities that are certainly just as thrilling and far less challenging to the normal persons budget. You can ski for an entire season for what you blow in one long weekend at one of the "World Class Resorts"

Just my $.02

veil, steamboat springs, breckenridge, snowy range, are all world famous skii places. LOADS of runs.

Got lots of money???

All the "TOP" world famous skii places tend to be a bit overpriced. Many other not so famous places have runs and facilities that are certainly just as thrilling and far less challenging to the normal persons budget. You can ski for an entire season for what you blow in one long weekend at one of the "World Class Resorts"

Just my $.02

Seriously, your paying close to $100 for a lift ticket.

Got lots of money???

Just my $.02

Seriously, your paying close to $100 for a lift ticket.

Ya that's a bit too much...:S

Might look into some of the Montana resorts (Big Sky, Whitefish, etc.) I've not been but I've heard great things about them in terms of quality vs. price. Might cost you more to get there but it might end up costing less overall.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

In Vermont hit Jay Peak
In New Hampshire go to Cannon
In Maine hit Sugarloaf.

They are the best the east has to offer without the ostentatious NY'ers.

Plus you don't need to drop money on a plane ticket.

Jay has the best glades in the east if you want to get into that. On a good day they match up (fun wise) than anything in the West.

Anyone ski in Utah?

Yes! :)
Here are some good options:

Option 1: Go to Utah- stay at the Peruvian Lodge- ski Alta and Snowbird- meet like-minded skiers at hot tub- wander around lodge in your long underwear- don't die in an avalanche. (See also: Solitude and Powder Mountain)

Option 2: Fly to Gunnison, CO- ski Crested Butte- wish you had lungs like a Sherpa- eat at Izzy's and Teocalli Tamale- heck, eat everywhere- you get hungry skiing at 9,000 feet.

Option 3: Fly to Reno, Ski Heavenly- enjoy the sunshine and views on trails and trees that go on for days- ski Mott Canyon, ski Firebreak- avoid the tree wells. (See also: Kirkwood, Squaw)

All of these ski vacations can be carfree- CB & Heavenly have free ski shuttles- and the Peruvian includes meals and is walking distance to the lifts.

Btw- feel free to take me with you, I pack small ;)

Whereabouts are you from? Sounds like I may just need to meet you there, not take you there. ;)

I'm on the East Coast now- about an hour West of NYC. Love to do some Western (or Eastern) ski trips. Know a few other jumpers who are probably also interested.

I'm headed to Crested Butte next week- but RPC1117- I understand what you're saying about Colorado- can be a pain to get to the resorts- not always worth it for a short trip. Also, the Denver airport often has weather delays- while SLC and Reno stay relatively clear.

I've heard great things about Sun Valley, Jackson and Whistler- but I've never been skiing at those resorts and again, access for a short trip may be an issue.

On a related note- skis/boards fly free on Frontier classic and Southwest :)
Again and Again....face to face with the sky - RMR

Anyone ski in Utah?

Yes! :)
Here are some good options:

Option 1: Go to Utah- stay at the Peruvian Lodge- ski Alta and Snowbird- meet like-minded skiers at hot tub- wander around lodge in your long underwear- don't die in an avalanche. (See also: Solitude and Powder Mountain)

Option 2: Fly to Gunnison, CO- ski Crested Butte- wish you had lungs like a Sherpa- eat at Izzy's and Teocalli Tamale- heck, eat everywhere- you get hungry skiing at 9,000 feet.

Option 3: Fly to Reno, Ski Heavenly- enjoy the sunshine and views on trails and trees that go on for days- ski Mott Canyon, ski Firebreak- avoid the tree wells. (See also: Kirkwood, Squaw)

All of these ski vacations can be carfree- CB & Heavenly have free ski shuttles- and the Peruvian includes meals and is walking distance to the lifts.

Btw- feel free to take me with you, I pack small ;)

Whereabouts are you from? Sounds like I may just need to meet you there, not take you there. ;)

I'm on the East Coast now- about an hour West of NYC. Love to do some Western (or Eastern) ski trips. Know a few other jumpers who are probably also interested.

I'm headed to Crested Butte next week- but RPC1117- I understand what you're saying about Colorado- can be a pain to get to the resorts- not always worth it for a short trip. Also, the Denver airport often has weather delays- while SLC and Reno stay relatively clear.

I've heard great things about Sun Valley, Jackson and Whistler- but I've never been skiing at those resorts and again, access for a short trip may be an issue.

On a related note- skis/boards fly free on Frontier classic and Southwest :)

Hey neighbor...I'm from CT. B|

At this point, I'm leaning towards a 4-5 hour drive to a VT/NH resort for 4 or 5 days. May be cheaper in the long run. Maybe we can get a bunch of people together?

Arpahoe Basin has good above-the-treeline skiing. I just got home from Breck, which I think has GREAT trails and bowls. Doesn't sound like that's what you're looking for, though.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

I have only been riding in Colorado.

So...

Arapahoe Basin
Breckenridge
Vail

Keystone and Copper Mountain are good chill out type of rides.

I don't know if you are on the hitchhike type adventure... If you are, Summit County is fun to ride. As long as you are cool with parking at the top, riding down and hitchen a ride back to the top.

To me, mountains are amazing. I live in Minnesota.

Take Care.
I don't have a license for this.

COLORADO is the only place in the US where you can find one hotel that is within 30 min of ~6-7 big mountain resorts including: Vail, Beaver Creek, Keystone, Loveland, A-Basin, Breckenridge, Copper Mtn.

Plus you can take a day off and drive an hour and 15 min to Denver and see some museums, go to the tunnel, or if the weather happens to be nice enough head to Mile-Hi and get some jumps in.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

Anyone ski in Utah?

At this point, I'm leaning towards a 4-5 hour drive to a VT/NH resort for 4 or 5 days. May be cheaper in the long run. Maybe we can get a bunch of people together?

Sounds good. What dates are you thinking about? I know 4 or 5 people- mostly jumpers- who would be into it- as long as they can get off work and the costs can be kept fairly low.

I don't know as much about East Coast resorts- I've skied a lot of them- but when I was kid. I remember enjoying Whiteface, Killington, Stowe- would be cool to get a deal on a ski rental and just pack it with people for a week- its always more fun with friends ;)

As long as this is sort of becoming a ski forum...does anyone in Colorado know about any lift ticket deals? I might try to do a day or so at the Summit County resorts next week.
Again and Again....face to face with the sky - RMR

Anyone ski in Utah?

Sounds good. What dates are you thinking about? I know 4 or 5 people- mostly jumpers- who would be into it- as long as they can get off work and the costs can be kept fairly low.

I don't know as much about East Coast resorts- I've skied a lot of them- but when I was kid. I remember enjoying Whiteface, Killington, Stowe- would be cool to get a deal on a ski rental and just pack it with people for a week- its always more fun with friends ;)

As long as this is sort of becoming a ski forum...does anyone in Colorado know about any lift ticket deals? I might try to do a day or so at the Summit County resorts next week.
http://www.placidbay.com/main.html

This place is great, and not a bad drive away. I think it's $105 pp/pn, including lift tickets. Was suppose to go last year, but a blizzard came up. :D:ph34r:

Anyways, it's a great place. Probably 3 - 4 rooms with 2 people per room would be great.

Scroll down to Colorado Ski Resort “Four Packs” and Discounted Lift Tickets: http://www.summitcove.com/discounts/

Another option is to take along a local who has a season pass enabling them to buy discounted guest tickets.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Fuck it, why not Jackson Hole...I'll be there!

btw, are you a chick?...if so, good times awaiting...

if you're a dude...np, good times awaiting...

It's Jack's Hole Baby!

YeeeHawww!!!!;):D

Hahaha...I've already fooled one DZ member (who also jump at my local DZ) who thought I was a chick...I still think he hasn't forgiven me, right Dougy? ;)

I just want a week of non-stop skiing, that's all I really want. :P

Then the right answer is Big Sky / Monnlight Basin in Montana.

If you're in it for the skiing and not the fashion show, then that's the best choice. More terrain per skier than anywhere else in the country. Of course after ski parties not so much, but the difference between Big Sky and Mammoth as far as crowds and available terrain is comical.

Never skied at Big Sky, but going there for a week in March. Can't wait. I love Summit County, and I love the bowls at Breck. Heard lots of good stuff about Big Sky though. Gotta get the skis waxed up! Maybe find another long weekend for Taos or Santa Fe in between.
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Anyone ski in Utah?

Utah is a good trip. Easy access to any of the slopes from the airport. You can stay near town at a Fairfield or other cheap hotel. Cheap tickets at Canyon Sports. A 5-day routine would be Park City, Canyons, Solitude, Alta and Deer Valley. Hit Main St in Park City for pizza and local beer.

If going to Colorado, discount tickets available at REI or King Souper grocery stores in Denver.

If going to Killington - that is the coldest I've ever been.

All those are good but Whistler is the deal. That is one of my annual trips. Use Alluradirect.com to find lodging. If going before April, the pre-bought ticket package is the best deal. If going in April, stop at 7-11 in Squamish for discount tickets - good coffee too.
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

I know the woods at Killington well and at Stowe like the back of my hand (failed out of college going there) and I'd be glad show you around.

I love Stowe but it's definitely pricey theses days.

+1 for Breck. I was there and at Beaver Creek the week of X-mas and the skiing was fantastic, new snow every day, great restaurants (as fancy or as casual as you want) and good bars if that is in the plan.

I'm already planning a trip back next month.
Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.
--- The Dude ---

Never skied at Big Sky, but going there for a week in March. Can't wait. I love Summit County, and I love the bowls at Breck. Heard lots of good stuff about Big Sky though. Gotta get the skis waxed up! Maybe find another long weekend for Taos or Santa Fe in between.

You wil LOVE Big Sky! Amazing skiing! I may be there end of march or early april.
Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.
--- The Dude ---

I have only been riding in Colorado.

So...

Arapahoe Basin
Breckenridge
Vail

Keystone and Copper Mountain are good chill out type of rides.

I don't know if you are on the hitchhike type adventure... If you are, Summit County is fun to ride. As long as you are cool with parking at the top, riding down and hitchen a ride back to the top.

To me, mountains are amazing. I live in Minnesota.

Take Care.

Where in Mn? I am in Eden Prairie.
--- The Dude ---