23 story fall. Survived.

Looks like the car door was open when she hit. That may have allowed the roof to collapse and soften the impact.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/01/24/argentina-woman-plunges-rd-floor-survives/?test=latestnews

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Wow, to seriously attempt suicide and to get a 2nd chance.:S I hope this gives her some perspective on how precious her life is. I'm glad no one else was hurt too.

Do you think if the door had been closed the roof structure would have been to strong to give enough to let her live?

Wow, to seriously attempt suicide and to get a 2nd chance.:S I hope this gives her some perspective on how precious her life is. I'm glad no one else was hurt too.

Do you think if the door had been closed the roof structure would have been to strong to give enough to let her live?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Either way, it's amazing that she lived.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

I'd imagine the roof would still have collapsed.
Maybe not as quickly which would cause more personal damage but since the car is not air tight the pressure would release and the metal would give way. It looks like even if the door was shut she would have only hit the roof. I would guess it would basically peel the roof away from the door frame....
Though, like a said, not as soft a landing but thats how I imagine it.

ON a twisted humours note:
If life is so bad that you failed at every turn then you try to kill yourself...and fuck that up ,too!
How do you think that would affect your ego?:D

My photos

My Videos

If life is so bad that you failed at every turn then you try to kill yourself...and fuck that up ,too!
How do you think that would affect your ego?:D

Twisted tale coming up here, a former coworker, in his sixties, decided to end his life with a firearm. A long time hunter, sportsman, etc., it took him two shots to kill himself. :S WTF? All those years of hunting and then this . . .

Strange but true, and pretty sad too. [:/]

It's not completely clear from that report how bad her injuries are. If she's done permanent damage, things might just have got a whole lot worse for her. :( Weirdly, I saw that story in the paper this morning a few pages after this one about a guy who travels with his life-sized female doll (including getting her a tandem jump). I thought for a moment the stories were related because of the resemblance to that poor woman lying on top of the taxi!

That is insane. My most frequently jumped object is 290 feet, and to imagine hitting the ground from that height and living is astounding. Good thing the taxi driver picked that moment to get out of the drivers seat!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVXHOldtEuY

Would suck ass so much to realize during the free fall that you had overshot the landing.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

The deceleration distance is a key factor, what with the roof caving in and probably a lot of suspension travel.

I ran the numbers roughly:
23 stories might be 230 ft. To make it simpler, say 242 ft which is 4 sec or 77 mph on some freefall tables. (Body position & weight would be different but this is just a rough estimate.)

Unless I messed up the high school physics equations, a 50g deceleration from that speed would take 4 ft distance, 100 g takes 2 ft.

John Stapp apparently did 45g relatively uninjured in his tests, and I get the impression that survival may be possible to 100g if everything goes right.

In any case, "a few feet" of deceleration distance is important for survival.