Nataly

Four-legged flatmate...

He 'really' needs to spend A LOT of quality time with the pup - They are hierarchical, pack animals... Currently, you are the boss not the owner.

I'm also convinced that at this early stage doggie day care isn't the real answer (sorry Your Hotness) - the hard ground work MUST be done by the owner.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

He says the opportunity to get Lucky just happened to present itself and he didn't really think it through ...

That has happened to all of us guys.[:/]
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

He says the opportunity to get Lucky just happened to present itself and he didn't really think it through ...

That has happened to all of us guys.[:/]

Sad but oh so true:D:D:D:D:D:D

Every - Single - One - Of - Us
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

He destroyed/ate a place-mat and a pair of Prada sunglasses... B|:S Unbelievable. I'm not at all upset with the dog - it's a dog and needs a lot of attention.

Let that poor little puppy keep exercising his new teeth . . . on all your flatmate's stuff. I think the problem may go away.;)

Did your flatmate do ANY research before getting a cute, hyper-active beastie?

He says the opportunity to get Lucky just happened to present itself and he didn't really think it through (no shit). But he also says he has owned dogs all his life, which I find surprising because the dog doesn't seem to listen to him at all, and apart from when I wasn't paying attention (I was on the phone) I haven't even needed to raise my voice to get him to stop, sit, not come into my room... So he is clever, but like you said, he's young and will entertain himself if no one plays with him. Plus a walk really isn't enough. Even I need to go for a run most days!!

I threw a ball around with him until he was quite tired, so he's sleeping now. But I can't play with him all day every day. Poor little thing... [:/]

Holy De-Ja-Vu Batman!
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

There are dog shampoos that will help, labs stink because of their coat being Waters repellent, the oils and etc.

Give him baths and he will love you for it.

When you walk when you stop and he sits it is becuase someone obediance trained him.

If you raise your arm like in a very high "heil hiltler" type of movement he will sit.

He has probably been taught also to lay, and stay by hand signals as well.

Read up on it, you now have a really good buddy for going running in those hot shorts that make your ass look really good. B|

Some people are better off living solo. And there's nothing wrong with that. Anyhow, from many, many threads of yours, I'd say you're probably one of them.

I have had flatmates over a period of about 10 years in total, with 2 years living on my own... In some respects, I like living on my own, but I also like the company of others... I've only ever had problems with one person, which I had mentioned here, and to be fair, everyone in that house ended up moving out because of her... :S

Until the dog, I had no issues with this guy. Because I've flat-shared with lots of different kinds of people (like when I was in the military), I am respectful of others, their stuff, their space, et cetera. I think I'm pretty easy to live with, actually. This guy has never lived with anyone, and either it never occurred to him about the dog, or he expected me to look after it - either way, it shows a distinct lack of consideration/understanding of others.

Like I said, though, this seems blatantly obvious to me, but since he has 30+ years of doing whatever he wants without having to think about someone else, it's perhaps not so surprising that he just got a dog on a whim without thinking about it. What is surprising is that according to him, he has owned dogs all his life and so I think he should know that leaving a young lab alone in a small apartment for 10 hours a day is sad. Very, very sad.

(Edit: spelling)
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

I think you're right... [:/] I can't just let the poor mutt suffer...

He is clever but quite naughty... So far he has already discovered how to drink from the toilet, he has used my flatmate's sneakers, clothespins and tooth-brush as chew-toys, and god knows what else when I wasn't looking...

I'm not telling the flatmate about the toothbrush, either. :|

Keep him out of your hamper, the dog and your flatmate;)

I think you're right... [:/] I can't just let the poor mutt suffer...

That's the point. He knows that he can basically force you to take care of his pet because any normal human being is going to want to help a dog that needs help. Welcome to your new life because unless you're willing to make the other choice (ignore the dog and let your roommate deal with the consequences when he gets home), you're now a co-caretaker of the dog.

I thought I could leave it alone for a bit and carry on watching my movie... Then I suddenly thought it was a little *too* quiet... He destroyed/ate a place-mat and a pair of Prada sunglasses... B|:S Unbelievable. I'm not at all upset with the dog - it's a dog and needs a lot of attention.

I'm really pissed off. Obviously the flatmate thought I would look after the dog. What a douche-bag.

Get him a KONG brand ball, a very large one.

He will carry it everywhere and that is his reward for being good as well.

If he chews something place a large pice of it far back in his mouth extending outwards sideways so he will not choke.

Then tape his mouth closed on it (keep nostrils unobstructed) then place him in a closet or small place (not his crate if that is where he sleeps).

Leave him one hour then let him out and remove it.

Even Virgin burner would quit wanting to chew your thong if you left it in his mouth that long.

Well, maybe not but you get my point.!:D

When you walk when you stop and he sits it is becuase someone obediance trained him.

Yeah, that was me and it took me a couple of hours to progressively get him to understand. I took him out for a second time and had to pretty much start over, but overall he learns pretty fast and I'm sure he would be ok if he had someone do this with him consistently over the next couple of weeks. I'm not doing it, though... :|
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Yeah, that was me and it took me a couple of hours to progressively get him to understand. I took him out for a second time and had to pretty much start over, but overall he learns pretty fast and I'm sure he would be ok if he had someone do this with him consistently over the next couple of weeks. I'm not doing it, though... :|

You just THINK you aren't.

You said yourself, you have a soft heart and would not leave the dog in need.:)

I was in the EXACT same situation in college. I moved into an apartment with two guys. Came home one day and the guy had gotten a dog. Both roommates were well aware of my allergies, but the moron didn't even think twice about it.

The dog was a freaking mess, and probably the only warm blooded creature on earth more stupid than my roommate. The dog (a basset/beagle mix) shed like crazy. My roommate routinely bathed it in our shared bathroom and never once cleaned up or vacuumed anywhere.

For an entire year he could never understand why there was always so much dog hair in his bed when the dog wasn't able to get up onto it. He never bothered to ask where all the hair his dog left around our part of the apartment or in the bathroom vanished to. :)

Killing threads since 2004.

I was in the EXACT same situation in college. I moved into an apartment with two guys. Came home one day and the guy had gotten a dog. Both roommates were well aware of my allergies, but the moron didn't even think twice about it.

The dog was a freaking mess, and probably the only warm blooded creature on earth more stupid than my roommate. The dog (a basset/beagle mix) shed like crazy. My roommate routinely bathed it in our shared bathroom and never once cleaned up or vacuumed anywhere.

For an entire year he could never understand why there was always so much dog hair in his bed when the dog wasn't able to get up onto it. He never bothered to ask where all the hair his dog left around our part of the apartment or in the bathroom vanished to. :)

Well played. You have style sir. I salute you.

Why don't you volunteer to give Lucky a bath?

No... The *owner* should bathe Lucky. And this owner should not be my flatmate - not just because of me, but also because this place is not suitable for a dog and my flatmate doesn't have the time or inclination to take care of a dog.
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Why don't you volunteer to give Lucky a bath?

No... The *owner* should bathe Lucky. And this owner should not be my flatmate - not just because of me, but also because this place is not suitable for a dog and my flatmate doesn't have the time or inclination to take care of a dog.

You mean "Your Dog". You are the Alpha now. He is now loyal to you. too bad the flatmate isn't.:ph34r:

:$ ...but it would be such a good way for you and Lucky to bond! :D

Anyway, you could move out and take Lucky with you! ;)

I don't like dogs, so I should leave this flat (which I do like) and take him with me. :| *Genius.*
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

:(... awh, but labs are sooo cool!

And they're man's best friend! ;)

You haven't checked her plumbing have you?:D