rasmack

Javelin J3 size

I am looking at gear for a "big boy" (me :)
Is it correct to say that these pieces of information do not add up? That either the Javelin is not a J3, or the Silhouette is not a 230?
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...

Well, the silhouette is a hybrid canopy meaning that it is made up of ZP and F-111. It has a pack volume of 588 cu. in. As a comparison, a sabre 170 has a pack volume of 451 cu. in. I would doubt that the 230 would it in a J-3. But i am not sure. Call Sunpath and ask.

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Well, he insists it is a J3 and a Silhouette 230. He just says that his rigger told him, that "the sizes had changed, and that a present day J3K could not be compared to a 1990 J3". My rigger told me, that the reserve (Paraflite swift r35173) was a 5 cell 176 ft^2. Can anyone confirm this, based on that information? I am not going up with a reserve of that size.
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...

I have a Rascal 9 225 in a jav j3 manufactured in 1994. I wrote to sunpath to see if a 170 would fit because I saw on their web page that 170 is the max for a j3. Sunpath wrote back that a 170 is indeed the max size for a j3, and that the 225 is probably warping the stiffners and stretching the material. The 225 is tight, but does fit in. So I would think that you could "fit" a 230 in a j3, but according to sunpath, this is not good for the container.

Tony

If its a 5 cell reserve stay away. There are much better designs out there that you should look at before jumping a 5 cell as a new jumper.

There is no way to put a 230 into a J3 and still have it close properly. A ZP 190 is a very firm fit. Putting anything larger then that will severly impact the ability to freefly and brings into question the possibility of streched fabric and possible damage to the rig.

As for putting the 225 in there, its F111 so that helps a little... but its still damaging the container so I'd get the right sized container soon if you plan on continuing to jump that canopy.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Well, he insists it is a J3 and a Silhouette 230. He just says that his rigger told him, that "the sizes had changed, and that a present day J3K could not be compared to a 1990 J3". My rigger told me, that the reserve (Paraflite swift r35173) was a 5 cell 176 ft^2. Can anyone confirm this, based on that information? I am not going up with a reserve of that size.

So not true. The K just means that it is a different shape. Javelins are canopy specific containers, even more so today than back then. Stick to Mfr. Guidelines go to www.sunpath.com and check it out, and have that rigger go to it too.

There is also a closing loop mod that your need to make sure was performed on that rig as well. Very important.

Blue skies