kkeenan

Shuttle "Discovery" Launch 2/24

Discovery, Weather Looking Good for Tomorrow's Launch
During today's prelaunch news conference, NASA's mission management team gave unanimous approval to launch space shuttle Discovery tomorrow, Feb. 24, at 4:50 p.m. The weather forecast remains favorable, calling for an 80 percent chance of acceptable conditions at launch time.

Discovery is scheduled to lift off for the last time, embarking on the 11-day STS-133 mission to deliver a new module, critical spare parts and Robonaut 2 to the International Space Station. The crew members are in medical quarantine at KSC, and will receive weather briefings and review flight procedures before suiting up and boarding Discovery for flight at about 1 p.m. tomorrow.

Live countdown coverage from Firing Room 4 of KSC's Launch Control Center will begin with fueling commentary at 7:15 a.m. and continuous coverage begins at 11:30 a.m. on NASA TV. NASA’s Launch Blog, originating from Firing Room 3, also will begin at 11:30 a.m. For other countdown events and updates on Discovery's status, go to http://www.nasa.gov/shuttle.

If you're looking for another avenue to feed your shuttle countdown appetite, follow along with KSC's social media accounts on Twitter, http://twitter.com/nasakennedy and Facebook, http://www.facebook.com/NASAKennedy.

I still get goose bumps. I’m glad I saw it go.

Me too (both comments).

I still get nervous and watch the SRBs very closely when they give the "Go with throttle up" command.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I still get goose bumps. I’m glad I saw it go.

Me too (both comments).

I still get nervous and watch the SRBs very closely when they give the "Go with throttle up" command.

Yep - it took a few seconds for the roar to reach KARS Park I, but it was a hell of a sight! B|

(and sound)

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

I was at the gym when it launched, they tuned all 50 flat screens to CNN and shut of the piped in music...

It was really neat to see ALL the people in there stop what they were doing for 15 minutes to watch, and to listen to some people talking about the various things they had to do with NASA and the shuttle program.

I actually worked on the LOX canisters and the directional rocket nozzles when I was in the aerospace game...sad to see it all end.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~