pa2themd

What is that?

Hey guys,

this just came through on one of our Listserves, what is it? Besides being the obvious "half a canopy" I have never seen anything like it :S

Blue skies

Sheri

"Most of us can read the writing on the wall; we just assume it's
addressed to someone else!" Ivern Ball

That's a Paradactyl. In fact that's a guy named Chris from the Bay Area Skydiving dropzone in Byron CA.

FIREFLYR jumped that canopy and landed way off the dropzone this past weekend.

Some one is bound to fill in some detail ... *queue sparky* ..., mean while I'll see if I can dig up some info on it.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

That's a Paradactyl. In fact that's a guy named Chris from the Bay Area Skydiving dropzone in Byron CA.

Yup, spotting becomes a little more important when jumping one of those.

I've got one jump on one of those on July 4th 2003, it was red,white, and blue, got out over Universal Studios and put in Ted Strong's lake behind his house. I couldn't remember how to pack it, last one I packed was in the 70's so I flat packed like a square and it worked fine. Ted asked me why I did that and I said "hey it was your generation that made them why not?" He said "yes we did and we are the ones that put them in the closet too".
I said "good point".
Got my one jump and now its in the closet.

Fun Jump

hi Hunni,
it seems that people above have an answer. I would say : do a research on NASAWING... seems to be very close to that... The biggest kite I ever flew solo was a 250sqft nasawing...
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

there was a cool pic of a russian reserve in the classified section. it was red and looked a little different but it was cool. i would love to jump one, it looks like fun. but then i thought an sf-10a was a lot of fun, a round that i could stand up in 12 knot winds. it steered almost as good as a square. if i could get a hold of one of those, i would replace my 24' round national.

Yes, it is a Paradactyl, designed by Jim Handbury in the late 1970s. I jumped one, once in the early 1980s. ... a huge improvement over the similar-shaped Delta II. The paradactyl flew as well as a Cruisair (a second-generation 7-cell, ram-air canopy) and it had the smallest pack volume for 5 years running.
The configuration was patented by Francis Rogallo and much of the early development was funded by NASA as a steerable parachute to recover space ships. Skydivers jumped them for a few years, but Rogallos only found long-term acceptance among hang-gliders.
Rogallo reserve parachutes are still available from a russian company (Para Avis?).

However, PZ-81 (Russian triangular reserve) stil can be found in classifieds.

I used to jump this quipment, too. The container was called "Talka", main canopy was also called "Talka" and a reserve was called "Delta" (PZ-81). The whole kit was called "TALKA". Got it, right? Main was rectangular, reserve was triangular. There is no freebag, reserve is "freepacked". I have one reserve ride on it... Very light toogle pressure, not too hard landing for non ram-air canopy. The reserve PC was connected to the the thing similar to the slider to slow the deployment process.

More info on triangular reserves here: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=661037#661037

Some one is bound to fill in some detail ... *queue sparky* ..., mean while I'll see if I can dig up some info on it.

Yes, it is a Paradactyl by Handbury and Gary Douris of Free Flight. The also made a double keel Dactyl that was use by Visions/Coors for several years when they were National/World Champions.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

. The paradactyl flew as well as a Cruisair (a second-generation 7-cell, ram-air canopy)

Nahhh . . . they were okay, but not that okay. Must admit I jumped the cruisair and not the Dactyl, but I sure watched a lot folks pound in on the Dactyls. Remember that entire team at Perris that jumped them? :S

. The paradactyl flew as well as a Cruisair (a second-generation 7-cell, ram-air canopy)

Nahhh . . . they were okay, but not that okay. Must admit I jumped the cruisair and not the Dactyl, but I sure watched a lot folks pound in on the Dactyls. Remember that entire team at Perris that jumped them? :S

John, that entire team was National and World champion 8 way, Visions/Coors.:)
Sparky

I thought they were pretty good. I remember a lot of PLF's from people jumping them. A rigger friend told me he saw a double Dactyl rig once, with a TSO'd dactyl for the reserve to match the main. It was the tiniest rig he had ever seen to that date. Dunno if I'd jump it.

Watch out, I'm going to get us bumped to the old timer's forum.:D

Hey guys,

this just came through on one of our Listserves, what is it? Besides being the obvious "half a canopy" I have never seen anything like it :S

Blue skies

Sheri

It's a Paradactyl. Not only is it a Paradactyl, it's MY Paradactlyl.

I've rigged it up for people to jump this weekend for the old school weekend at Byron. If you want to jump it, it will be a $10 donation to the fund to help a local jumper's medical expenses. I'll pack it for you, and give you the brief.

It;s a lot of fun to fly. This one is particularly nice because it's a reserve Paradactyl and has very few jumps on it.

The picture is of Chris DeBar jumping it Byron last weekend.

I thought they were pretty good. I remember a lot of PLF's from people jumping them. A rigger friend told me he saw a double Dactyl rig once, with a TSO'd dactyl for the reserve to match the main. It was the tiniest rig he had ever seen to that date. Dunno if I'd jump it.

Watch out, I'm going to get us bumped to the old timer's forum.:D

What I meant was there is a single keel and a double keel Paradactyl. Rather than just both sides of the canopy meeting in the middle, there was a small center hump and each side met on the down side of that hump.
The rig with 2 dactyls in it was not TSO'd and it belonged to the late Larry Yohn. He even cut the front reserve risers off to make it lighter.:S Thats hard core.

Sparky