Teigen

Bully ownage!

Getting stabbed seems like a good reason to lose it from my POV.

life threatening situations should generate an increase in control and response - not losing it

I think we have different definitions of 'losing it' (I'm thinking blanking out and doing violent actions with no sense of memory or control of those actions)

You might just mean letting it all out. I have no issue with that if that's what it takes to survive.

Twardo's example he noted he pretty much blanked out and then continued to try killing the other guy after he'd disarmed the guy and eliminated the threat. Therefore - law enforcement, bouncing, security are not good choices. that's all I'm sayin'

I didn't say anything about whether the charges being dropped were right or not. This is about morality, not legality.

Edit: interesting topic. I'm pretty much done blabbing my values out though. thanks all.

You make the excellent point that was the lesson it took that incident to teach me.

Again, I had skills and was very measured and pragmatic in my responses and escalation all through my years working as a bouncer.
Sounds weird but like in the movie 'Roadhouse', good bouncers are headhunted by certain establishments.

The first time it happened to me in college it put a new slant on my 'part-time' career. A guy waited for me after hours and offered me about double what I was making, he'd been watching me take care of some problems and understood I was 'protecting' the establishment with wit & humor until that didn't work.

I got head hunted by 3 $trip-club$ in San Diego, when Pacers contacted me it was like an interview at IBM, there were 5 bouncers per shift then and none of 'em were musclebound mouth breathers.

Everyone kind of took pride in handling potentially rough situations quickly and without violence, like any 'professional' team we'd practice 'plays' and have debriefs following real situations.

The night in question I was the 'blocking back' in football parlance, the doorman was checking ID's & membership cards, while I stand off to the side & behind to control anyone trying to go around him...happens a lot in a Navy town, young guys trying to get in. ~overwhelming the door guy with numbers is a constant ploy.

My guy is through waiting for his buddies who are having problems (fake ID) with the doorman, my guy makes an offencive more toward him and I step between them. My guy hits me twice quick, he was good, knew what he was doing.

First time didn't feel like a punch really but I saw the knife coming on the second hit and was already reacting when he nailed me in the shoulder.
It was a 5 inch Gerber Mk.1, buried it nearly to the hilt in my shoulder, was going for my chest but I was moving.

All I remember thinking was these guys are ALL armed and it's 8 or 10 of them against two of us...like in skydiving, that 'Oh fuck this is REAL' moment hits...I yelled 'DOOR' which means clear the door way, push everyone back outside.

Next thing I remember is two cops on top of me screaming STOP STOP STOP.

I'd never lost control like that, and quite honestly never believed other people's stories that it's happen to them.

Trust me it does happen and it's pretty frightening, on a lotta levels.

So yes, after a little soul searching..if ya have 1/2 a brain you realize ya have no business IN that business.

I WILL say that night changed me, I'm calmer overall.

It took an extraordinary event to 'unleash Mr. Hyde' and as with any violent action, the 2nd time is always easier.

There can't ever BE a second time for Mr. Hyde, that fuckers gonna get ME thrown in JAIL! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Stabbing a guy because your buddies are having problems with their fake ID's???:S
The cops should have let you finish what you were doing.

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Fighter pilots in...and then outside a bar failing to leave a lovely, yet obviously unimpressed, lady alone.

Yeah....MY WIFE!

~young 'Hot Shots' couldn't understand why their 'bar room a in flight-suit' performance wasn't working.

And why is she leaving with these two big old rednecks who were in the back room for the hour they were 'romancing' her?! :D:D

"But but but WE'RE PILOTS!"

~almost expected one of 'em to start singing 'You've lost that lovin' feeling'! :S

Admittedly-my best days are behind me. But do you really wanna take a chance that this is the one good one I have left:)Totally off subject but was funny at the time-
I'm actually kind of a professional now-we were starting a department meeting and one of the more politically motivated managers started razzing me, trying to make himself look better-wittier-something. I smiled and told him "Son, if you're going to harass one guy in this room, don't you think it would be best to NOT pick the one that knows a night in jail ain't that bad". He turned white, my immediate manager turned red, the company president almost fell out of his chair laughing and I've been his bar hopping partner ever since

You are only as strong as the prey you devour

Interesting;
- Big kid is Casey Heynes
- Rat is Richard Sk Gale
- Rat got a broken ankle, likely from the wood his leg hit on the way down.
Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Wow that skinny kid is not too smart...WTF is wrong with his parents.....look sorry....a kid like that odds are there is a bit of lack of parenting
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

I smiled and told him "Son, if you're going to harass one guy in this room, don't you think it would be best to NOT pick the one that knows a night in jail ain't that bad".

Nice style.B| I'm gonna file that one away for future use. :)
I guess I've been lucky, haven't had to throw a punch since I was a teen. Maybe being over six foot and not in too bad of shape has its advantages. I run into conflict as often as the next guy, but it never goes beyond a little verbal sparring. Then again, I avoid biker bars. :P

Grew up in a POS Wonderbread town in Upstate NY as the only forigner.
Oh yeah I had bullies and parents who's IQ fell well blow average.
Mom a former trust fund baby and step father who though a great guy was in his own universe.
Even the teachers turned a blind eye to bullies and a few times even encouraged.
"Shah the terrorist....Shah the sandingger" really! No joke!
Big glasses, skinny kid, strange name...easy target.
Got into two good fights. The one was with a kid who's father had something to do with the local hockey team...boy that kid bleed good.
The second, was this delinquent.....who no matter how hard I slammed his head into the ground would not shut up. The kid had some sort of mental problem.

It was your usual catch 22. Fight back and get labled as "violent" by the teachers. Stand there and well....keep taking it?
And as a parent please don't think that your "average" teacher will do much. As much as I like teachers...a good number are slightly messed up and are trying to relive the experience they never had while in school and are thus trying to be the popular kid.
Funny thing, the most verbal bullying I ever received were from the "smart" students. You know the 4.0 types.
It's funny, now my tan Persian ass makes significantly more money than their wonderbread asses and I've been contacted a few times via facebook or linked in with little stories about how they lost their job and bla bla bla...can you help me?
Piss off you little shit townie. Also I seldom visit my parents due to how much I detest that town and it's people.

Further more to add insult to injury, my younger brother grew a little faster than me so there were those fights which my parents in their infinite air handedness's never "noticed" and i'll be honest with you...if I talk to him three time's a year it's amazing.

So yeah there are scars. Emotional and other. Do they make me a better person? No......
Scars are never a good thing. They limit our freedom of movement and our ability to understand and to take deep breaths.
And yes like any scar we can "work" them to loosen them and regain some of our freedom back but.....we are never the same.

I feel bad for the big kid. He did the right thing but he will pay.
I hope he turns out OK.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

So yeah there are scars. Emotional and other. Do they make me a better person? No......
Scars are never a good thing. They limit our freedom of movement and our ability to understand and to take deep breaths.
And yes like any scar we can "work" them to loosen them and regain some of our freedom back but.....we are never the same.

I feel bad for the big kid. He did the right thing but he will pay.
I hope he turns out OK.

I have a slightly different view, personally... I think my scars shaped me and made me stronger.

I was bullied a lot in school. And like you, I found the teachers were not helpful or supportive. It made me think that I couldn't always rely on adults to help me. It made me realise that some adults are also bullies. It made me feel like if I really wanted the bullying to stop I had to stick up for myself.

I know it sounds perverse, but being bullied was the best thing that could have happened to me in school, because it really shaped my belief/understanding that there is a lot I can do to not be a victim. I'm not saying bullying is a good thing, but it has always existed and always will exist, so learning how to prevent/avoid/stop/deal-with bullies for me was a very important life lesson.
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

I did that once in middle school. Two guys had been on my ass for about a year, and I just took it. One day I'd had enough so I grabbed one of them, threw them on the floor, and started throwing chairs, tables, trays etc at them. A few people broke us up.

Got hauled off to the principal's office with them. They got in some sort of trouble. I didn't because no one could figure out exactly what happened. "Well, someone said he was throwing tables, but I really don't believe that; he's never done anything like that before."

It ended up working pretty well, although I hadn't planned it at all beforehand. The two bullies thought I was crazy so they left me alone after that.

That sounds a bit like one of my incidents in high school.

It was just before the first bell rang in the morning.
I was sitting in a student desk next to the wall, writing.
A bully came up, sat on top of the desk to my left, and started hassling me.
He reached over, grabbing the leg of my desk, jerking on it to mess up my writing.

Now I don't know if what happened next was intended, or if it was because he was reaching at a downward angle, but when he jerked the leg, it flipped my desk, slamming the back of my head into the wall.
The pain made me lose it.

I jumped up screaming every 4-letter word I knew at the top of my lungs as I came after him.
I was chasing him down the aisle toward the door, when we both saw something that stopped us in our tracks: Standing in the door was the sternest, most no-nonsense teacher in the school.
She stood there glaring as we both went back to our desks.

BTW: The guy I was trying to get my hands on was the biggest guy on our football team.:S:D

Nice style.B| I'm gonna file that one away for future use. :)

I'm usually the only guy in these meetings with a blue collar background-there's a little cultural discontinuity that we all have to work through:)

When you say, "cultural discontinuity"...what ya mean is you're the 'token convict'! B|

Today Fox news aired the video & reported the 'defender' was severely disciplined by the school, because he used too much force to defend himself...while less punishment was issued for the "bully" :S

The reporting has been all over the place. Just a bruise or is it a broken ankle. 21 day suspension for the skinny kid, 4 days for the big kid or vice versa. The bully’s mother wants the big kid to apologize, she wants her son to apologize. I’m not sure what to believe at this point.

Today Fox news aired the video & reported the 'defender' was severely disciplined by the school, because he used too much force to defend himself...while less punishment was issued for the "bully" :S

i think both parties got 4 days off school, at least that's what i've read from different sources. other speak of 28 days for the bully and 4 for the zangief kid.

some hackers apparently got the school-website down too..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda