millertime24

DONT BUY A FUCKING COBALT!!!

Damn, well, start packing the slider up. :P

You know that in skiing, Diamond, , runs are hard. And double diamonds, , are the absolute hardest. Well . . . look at the logo on your canopy. Hello? It advertises how it opens, right on the bottom. :D

Hey, glad to see you're down in Deland having fun. Hope you don't have tooooo many bruises from that one. Good thing you're young and tough. That slammer would've knocked me into next week. :)

Um... Thats Z-Hills. But yeah, this thing like to be packed a VERY certian way. My guess is when I dropped it in the packing tent someone picked it up and packed it like they would a Pilot. After bringing the opening up with ALL the packers I didn't have a hard one the rest of the weekend. Either way, canopies SHOULD NOT ever open this hard. It took me a while to get my mind right after that one, and my neck still hurts like hell (dont worry it's muscular).

My next move is to buy a Pilot 124 and keep this canopy for another rig when Im in a pinch.

BTW, I MAY not be as old as you, but I sure as hell feel 20 yrs older than you right now.
Muff #5048

You know that in skiing, Diamond, , runs are hard. And double diamonds, , are the absolute hardest. Well . . . look at the logo on your canopy. Hello? It advertises how it opens, right on the bottom. :D

Hey, glad to see you're down in Deland having fun. Hope you don't have tooooo many bruises from that one. Good thing you're young and tough. That slammer would've knocked me into next week. :)

Must be a damn good wingsuit, or a horrible spot, as he's flying over Z-Hills! :P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I must agree.
I saw no evidence the slider was ever up.:S
But damn!
A hard opening on a wingsuit dive???:o
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

someone picked it up and packed it...

[old guy voice] ~Well HELL kid....there's yer problem right there! [/old guy voice] :P

HEY!!! Ya old fucker. Theres these things now called "packers". They will pack your parachute for you so long as you feed them. And if I'm honest, I'm the worlds laziest skydiver (not that I CANT pack a parachute, but I just dont want to).

Guess on this canopy I should just pack for myself "shudder" or educate every packer I ever come across on how to properly pack this canopy.:D
Muff #5048

Yep, I had a 135 that opened ok, demoed a brand new 120 and it opened hard enough to shut the camera off on three straight jumps. I thought they pulled out of the skydiving market and were strictly military drop canopies now.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I watched that frame by frame in slow motion and never saw your slider move ( down ).........?....Was there an Ill Vision wingsuit on that jump ?

I also went over the frame by frame... on the un-edited video off my camera. In one frame you see the left risers and after the next 2 you see the slider (not collapsed) at the risers with a almost full open canopy.

Things I KNOW AS FACT:

-The rig (when I put it on) was packed with NO slider showing.

- This has happened before with a packer unfamiliar with this canopy.

- After this happened and I used a dedicated packer for the rest of my weekend it didnt happen again.
Muff #5048

someone picked it up and packed it...

[old guy voice] ~Well HELL kid....there's yer problem right there! [/old guy voice] :P

HEY!!! Ya old fucker. Theres these things now called "packers". They will pack your parachute for you so long as you feed them. And if I'm honest, I'm the worlds laziest skydiver (not that I CANT pack a parachute, but I just dont want to).

Guess on this canopy I should just pack for myself "shudder" or educate every packer I ever come across on how to properly pack this canopy.:D

Damn Jiffy Lube Generation...and stay off my LAWN! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I’ve got a lot of jumps on three Cobalts: a 120 and 2- 150’s. They have always opened slowly, which is why I like them for camera jumps. However, I’ve had an occasional whacker. It seems that they work well when packed in a specific way. I had one whacker on my newer 150, which broke through both sides of my camera helmet at the cheeks and broke my neck pretty badly. Now, with my hip bone and titanium neck, I jump my older Cobalt, which consistently gives me 1,500-1,800 foot openings. My son is jumping the Cobalt that whacked me and has never had a problem. As I said before, a specific packing method seems to work well with Cobalts. Once you have dialed that in – stick with it.

Also, Cobalts have not been made for years, so there is a good chance yours might be used enough to need a line set. When you jump one until it's out of trim, it's hard to notice it's bad. But if you get one out of trim, it may be quite noticeable. Measure your line set and make sure it is within proper tolerance. An out of trim Cobalt might also whack you.

Now, with my hip bone and titanium neck, I jump my older Cobalt, which consistently gives me 1,500-1,800 foot openings.

:o
When I learned to jump, they taught me to cutaway a streamer.:S
Sheesh!
And I thought the 700-1100 foot openings my my Diablo were slow!
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

HEY!!! Ya old fucker. Theres these things now called "packers". They will pack your parachute for you so long as you feed them.

If you're using a parachute that needs to be packed precisely to open well, then handing to a packer isn't the best idea.

If you're going to use packers on a regular basis, it makes sense to hand them something a little more tolerant of the imprecision of fast packing.

Additionally, if you want to jump a wing suit, it makes even more sense to jump something that is more (not less) tolerant of packing errors.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

It took me a while to get my mind right after that one, and my neck still hurts like hell (dont worry it's muscular).

My next move is to buy a Pilot 124 and keep this canopy for another rig when Im in a pinch.

Speaking of pinched, as in nerve, get yourself checked out by a doctor. As in now. Your spine just might be more injured than you realize (even if you don't feel it). As in, hairline vertebral fracture. And if it is, you need to know to act accordingly and do nothing that might exacerbate it. You won't know for sure until you get checked out. A C-spine is not something to f*** around with.

If any medical professionals disagree with this, by all means speak up.

Maybe a celibate Cobalt would open better:D