banesanura

SLUTWALK

FYI, it's a .org, not a .com.

Pretty cool idea. Title's a bit deliberately provocative for my taste, but I guess that's part of the point.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I'm sorry, but this has to be one of the silliest ideas I've ever heard.
Dress up like a slut to walk the streets in protest of sexual assault.
There will always be sexual predators and walking the street like a slut to demonstrate to those sexual predators that just because we dress like sluts; our mission is to teach you that you shouldn't rape.
Have I got that about right?

Two thoughts on this...

1) Dress how you like; but take a friggin self-defense course or get your CCW or sumpin.
2) This walk will last as long as it takes for the first girl going home from slutwalk only for some predator to stalk and rape one of them... (course, no one thought that far in advance, did they?).

This is another one of those Groupthink ideas where someone said, "Hey, you know what would be a great thing to do??!!?" Now, that person I don't blame. It's the second or group of people who holler out. "YEAH!! That's a great fucking idea."

Silliness.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

One of the mission statements:

Chicago SlutWalk aims to reclaim the word “slut” and use it in a positive, empowering and respectful way.

http://www.slutwalkchicago.org/about.html

Nuff said.. to those who partake... enjoy, be safe.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I'm sorry, but this has to be one of the silliest ideas I've ever heard.
Dress up like a slut to walk the streets in protest of sexual

Hey! Don't discourage them!>:(
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Apparently, they want to send the message that we should stop "blaming the victim." Maybe this walk is deliberately provocative, but the article makes a good point... So often our answer to rape prevention is to tell women to be careful. Now there is nothing wrong with that, but in order to really reduce the crime, we can't just focus on the victims - we also need to do a lot of work on making sure men don't become aggressors in the first place. Predators will always find victims - we need to reduce the number of predators to reduce the number of victims...

Dunno if SLUTWALK is the best way to get this message across, but one good thing is that it's opening up the debate...
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Predators will always find victims - we need to reduce the number of predators to reduce the number of victims...

And therein lies the problem...
A SLUTWALK is doing what to reduce the number of victims?

Predators will always find victims - we need to reduce the number of predators to reduce the number of victims...

It's attempting to convince men that dressing/looking/acting a certain way does not entitle you to a woman's body. No, this walk probably isn't going to change behaviors overnight, but these things are changed by gradually, consistently getting this message across.

It's attempting to convince the criminal justice system that dressing/acting/looking a certain way does not change the fact that a woman was victimized and deserves a fair shot at justice. If women are made to feel like they "asked for it" and therefore don't deserve to seek justice for the crime that was committed, they may be less likely to report it. Less reporting = less ability to take the perps off the street. And it encourages more perps who figure that if no one stops them, they continue to be "entitled" to it if she's "asking for it."

That's just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are other things as well. That's not to devalue some of the other ideas about self-defense, but that doesn't get at the root societal issue. This is attempting to do so.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

It's attempting to convince men that dressing/looking/acting a certain way does not entitle you to a woman's body. No, this walk probably isn't going to change behaviors overnight, but these things are changed by gradually, consistently getting this message across.

It's attempting to convince the criminal justice system that dressing/acting/looking a certain way does not change the fact that a woman was victimized and deserves a fair shot at justice. If women are made to feel like they "asked for it" and therefore don't deserve to seek justice for the crime that was committed, they may be less likely to report it. Less reporting = less ability to take the perps off the street. And it encourages more perps who figure that if no one stops them, they continue to be "entitled" to it if she's "asking for it."

That's just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are other things as well. That's not to devalue some of the other ideas about self-defense, but that doesn't get at the root societal issue. This is attempting to do so.

And therein lies your problem. The fucked up mindset of 'all men are potential rapists and need to be reminded of that fact 24/7'. Most men never have and never will rape or sexually assault a single woman in their lives. And the small subset of men who do, they aren't going to give two flying fucks about bunch of angry feminists on some silly walk. All these people will achieve is to make the average man, who'll never commit any of these acts, feel even worse, simply for being male.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

And therein lies your problem. The fucked up mindset of 'all men are potential rapists and need to be reminded of that fact 24/7'. Most men never have and never will rape or sexually assault a single woman in their lives. And the small subset of men who do, they aren't going to give two flying fucks about bunch of angry feminists on some silly walk. All these people will achieve is to make the average man, who'll never commit any of these acts, feel even worse, simply for being male.

Yawn. Who's reading too much into things now?

Like I have already said, it opens up the debate. It's an attempt to show that the victim is not to blame.

Not saying it's necessarily the best approach, but it is certainly getting some attention, and that could be a good thing.
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Idea is solid, name is garbage.

I think the name was entirely appropriate for the initial event that came in reaction to the Toronto police comment since he's the one who used the "slut" comment.

As a general, North american wide movement, who knows....
Remster

*** I'm sorry, but this has to be one of the silliest ideas I've ever heard.
Dress up like a slut to walk the streets in protest of sexual assault.
There will always be sexual predators and walking the street like a slut to demonstrate to those sexual predators that just because we dress like sluts; our mission is to teach you that you shouldn't rape.
Have I got that about right?

Two thoughts on this...

1) Dress how you like; but take a friggin self-defense course or get your CCW or sumpin.
2) This walk will last as long as it takes for the first girl going home from slutwalk only for some predator to stalk and rape one of them... (course, no one thought that far in advance, did they?).

This is another one of those Groupthink ideas where someone said, "Hey, you know what would be a great thing to do??!!?" Now, that person I don't blame. It's the second or group of people who holler out. "YEAH!! That's a great fucking idea."

Silliness.

Agreed!

It will be like protesting about sexually trasmitted diseases by having a dont use a condom and have sex day parade!
http://web.mac.com/ac057a/iWeb/AC057A/H0M3.html

Just who are you talking about???????? Who are these men who are walking around "feeling bad" about being "men"??!! WTF!!

Rape is an important issue - I don't think anyone thinks "all men are potential rapists"! I think the prevailing mindset is in fact that all women are potential rape victims, not the other way around... As a society, we do need to stop "blaming the victim" and doing more to stop the aggressors.

Women who are trying to improve a bad situation are not "angry feminists"! They are trying to prove a very important point: that focusing all your energy on the victim is not enough to solve the problem.
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss