shah269

Skydiving as a gift?

Skydiving as a gift?

I'm in a bit of a catch 22. My next door neighbor is an older woman who for lack of a better word has lived in purgatory for all of her life. Though she is a professional with respect to her career she spent all of her life taking care of, first her elderly grand parents and later her mother. She never really had a chance to do what most of us take for granted such as going out on a dates or even flying and going on a nice vacation.

Two years ago her mother who she was taking care of passed away and now she is attempting to make up for all of those lost years. But it has not been easy. It is difficult to escape the comfort of routine to discover and to grow.

Her birthday is this Sunday and she's been a great help to me taking care of my two cats when I have been on travel and over all she is a very nice person. I know she enjoys cooking and have gotten her a Persian cook book, helping her try new things, and a nice card. But I've been thinking that I would like to perhaps buy her a tandem ride.

She has never flown before and she is trying to do new things but I don't want to push her or scare her.
Maybe a simple note stating that I owe her a tandem and that if she wants she can transfer it to someone else?

She is I would say in her early 60's.
Please no smart ass remarks.
What are your thoughts?
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Maybe a simple note stating that I owe her a tandem and that if she wants she can transfer it to someone else?

The note idea is a great one. Maybe expand it to make it transferable to an activity that she has always wanted to try, if skydiving doesn't appeal :)

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Does your dropzone do observer rides? You can offer her the tandem and if she says she's not up for it, offer her the observer ride instead. Skydiving is definitely not for everyone so I would present it as a choice more than a gift. Something like "no pressure but I'd love to give you a tandem skydive if you think you'd like it. If not, why not come to the airport with me one weekend and take a plane ride"

Does your dropzone do observer rides? You can offer her the tandem and if she says she's not up for it, offer her the observer ride instead. Skydiving is definitely not for everyone so I would present it as a choice more than a gift. Something like "no pressure but I'd love to give you a tandem skydive if you think you'd like it. If not, why not come to the airport with me one weekend and take a plane ride"

Thank you I will ask the DZ if we can pull something off. She is a great person who just hit a life long stretch of over protective parents and bad luck.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

Skydiving is always a bad gift. Too far off the center line for normal people.

Get her a bottle of Gray Goose and a dildo with a kick starter.

Sparky

You might be on to something there Sparky ;)
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

I tend to shy away from giving skydiving related gifts, organizing people to jump, or encouraging people to jump. You can be seriously injured or killed skydiving, and I'm not intertested in pushing anyone in to that. If they want to jump, they can do it without my help.

That said, your intentions are good and maybe you could offer her a choice of gifts, with one of them being a tandem. Perhaps offer her the choice of a tandem, a spa day, or a cooking class. You could put together three cards, each containing a brochure or something from each activity, and present them to her so she can make her own selection. It put's the tandem up on the table, but also gives her a way to decline the jump without declining the gift, she can simply choose one of the other gifts. You end up getting to reward your friends for her efforts on your behalf, and she gets a gift that she really wants.

The thing about jumping is that it's not for everyone. If you give it as a gift, the recipient is now faced with either jumping against their will, or declining a very generous gift, and that in itself is not much of a gift. Give her an easy way out with some more 'pedestrian' choices.

All that aside, it's a nice gesture on your part.

Great thought, but in my experience it didn't work.

Had 2 friends that when they graduated college I told them "My gift to you is skydiving, you set it up and I'll pay for it."

This was before I started skydivng and before tandems became as popular but neither ever took me up on it.

If she's in good shape, still doesn't hurt to try. :)

Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

That said, your intentions are good and maybe you could offer her a choice of gifts, with one of them being a tandem. Perhaps offer her the choice of a tandem, a spa day, or a cooking class. You could put together three cards, each containing a brochure or something from each activity, and present them to her so she can make her own selection. It put's the tandem up on the table, but also gives her a way to decline the jump without declining the gift, she can simply choose one of the other gifts. You end up getting to reward your friends for her efforts on your behalf, and she gets a gift that she really wants.

Very good idea! Thank you!

I would even consider NOT including the spa day. If she's trying to make changes, then introducing activities is a great idea. Cooking, possibility of skydiving, and maybe an intro-to-kayaking or wine&painting certificate (we have something called Pinot & Picasso here).

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I'm looking around I don't see anything that slow? No intro to kyaking or wine and painting.
I do have NYC near by and maybe a helecopter tour of the city? It's $200 which is about the same price as a tandem ride.

At her age and she's never been on a plane, I wouldn't offer her to jump. Maybe offer her a ride in a non jumping plane. Have her sit in front, Im sure the pilot would let her fly it once up (how neat that would be for her). A bit less intense than being an observer watching you jump out and leaving her behind. It would be a great first experience flying for anyone. Maybe land at a different airport with a cafe, eat, talk, fly home. It would be a nice date for you and your neighbor, I think, but what do I know.

Rent something big, so she doesn't feel too confined.

I'm looking around I don't see anything that slow? No intro to kyaking or wine and painting.
I do have NYC near by and maybe a helecopter tour of the city? It's $200 which is about the same price as a tandem ride.

http://www.kayakeast.com/PAGES/tours.htm

They have tours all over north Jersey (I think that's where you're at).

Good idea I don't have that kind of cash
And I just found out she does not know how to swim

In my opinion, the best thing you could do for her is to find someone else to take care of your cats when you travel. She's been stuck in a caregiver role her whole life. Taking care of your cats is a continuation albeit on a smaller scale of the role she played with her grandparents and parents. It's a role she has grown used to even though it also is limiting to her. Help her to break out of that role by not accepting her help.
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

At her age and she's never been on a plane, I wouldn't offer her to jump. Maybe offer her a ride in a non jumping plane.

I'd agree with this. I've occasionally had friends on observer rides and I'm not sure they got anything out of it that they wouldn't have got from a ride in any small, propeller-driven aircraft - other than the oh-my-gosh experience of watching people disappear through the door, which can actually be quite frightening.

If someone's doing a tandem then watching people exit before them tends to make them apprehensive, but by that point they're probably going anyway. But if you have the unsettling experience of seeing someone disappear from a plane at altitude, and then you get your feet back firmly on the ground - I think it's less likely you'll get back on the plane strapped to a tandem master.

Skydiving as a gift?

Didn't read any further than that, but I wouldn't do it...

I have a hard enough time allowing the "b.a.s.e jumping" link to advertise this fucked up sport.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

I have gien it quite a bit of thought. I'm going to offer her two choices. Skydiving won't be one.
One is the spa day.
The other is a helecopter tour of NYC.
Both are the same price.