JerryBaumchen

Where will we get engineers?

Well it was 2002 not the best year for engineers.
My brother who the same year got a job working as a civil engineer made not much more than I did.
He now lives in upstate NY and has his MBA and works for a very large general engineering company and makes a little less than I do.
Which for him is just fine due to the relative pay of where he lives.
I live in Northern NJ about 30 miles from NYC. My pay is OK. I'm not starving now. But it has taken me 8 years to get to my pay level.
And sadly no there was no negotiations. It was what it was. It was the going rate at the time.

But that's me. Let's see what the future holds for the field? Who knows maybe more kids will decided to go into the field and things will be better for them in terms of compisation and gender diversity.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Engineering and information sciences filled 10 of the top 10 slots in the graduating senior salary survey this year. $65k for a freshly minted BS in Chemical Engineering.

Take that, history, business and journalism majors!

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Engineering and information sciences filled 10 of the top 10 slots in the graduating senior salary survey this year. $65k for a freshly minted BS in Chemical Engineering.

Glad I never went back and finished college...

Would hate to take that much of a pay cut!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Especially for the first day at your first job. Who on EARTH would settle for 65k at their first job? ;)

Especially for the first day at your first job. Who on EARTH would settle for 65k at their first job? ;)

Apparently a bunch of engineers :P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Graduated 1990, BS Chem Engineering, starting salary then was $38,000. Was making $50,000 within 2 years.

Shah, $36K in 2002 was pretty low. This might be part of your disillusionment with the engineering practice. I know I miss the types of bonuses my sales and finance buddies saw throughout the years, but they certainly didn't start where I started.

I do think that being and working as an engineer takes a certain mindset, and doing that day in/ day out may take a toll on some. Probably why engineering school is so tough and professors expect you "to figure it out" on your own, 'cause in the real world you will need to do the same.

Software developer -- aka software engineer -- here. Even where I live, there's dramatic swings in salary and/or contract income (I work 2 contracts now). Some contracts for the same work earn more than twice as much as some others. My flexibility in relocating between Toronto/Ottawa/Montreal allowed me to survive the '08 recession mostly unscathed. In one place, you're offered only $30/hr, and in another place $65/hr, etc. Even for the same programming language. For example, working for a small starving startup company working C#.NET versus working for a large electric company or bank working C#.NET. One may have to work at the former first before working at the latter. to fill the resume with some useful experience. Sometimes, you even have to work much harder at the startup company. Then again, the startup company work, on the other hand, is often more fun and flexible, less bureaucratic. Even if you're doing the same programming language on very roughly similiar projects.

Software developer -- aka software engineer -- here. Even where I live, there's dramatic swings in salary and/or contract income (I work 2 contracts now). Some contracts for the same work earn more than twice as much as some others. My flexibility in relocating between Toronto/Ottawa/Montreal allowed me to survive the '08 recession mostly unscathed. In one place, you're offered only $30/hr, and in another place $65/hr, etc. Even for the same programming language. For example, working for a small startup company working C#.NET versus working for a large electric company or bank working C#.NET

The sad thing is that you guys are sooo smart and spend years in schooling, but us editors make $100+ per hour, and keep this country running. No education needed...just a bunch of dummy's producing shit television and stupid, funny violent, raunchy gritty ass movies...That's what's keepin' this country alive. What do you think those FBI warnings are all about?

*Edit*
The bottom line is that this world needs to get it's head out of it's ass...but I'll keep using it's stupidity to keep us alive.

Sad but True:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82uPA5A84r4
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

Shah, $36K in 2002 was pretty low. This might be part of your disillusionment with the engineering practice. I know I miss the types of bonuses my sales and finance buddies saw throughout the years, but they certainly didn't start where I started.

I do think that being and working as an engineer takes a certain mindset, and doing that day in/ day out may take a toll on some. Probably why engineering school is so tough and professors expect you "to figure it out" on your own, 'cause in the real world you will need to do the same.

2002 was not a very good year for engineers in the US. But yeah that's about what I got as I recall a GS-5-12 working for the feds. It was a solid kick to the junk. But what choice did i have? I needed a job and they were the only ones hiring at the time. My brother who is a CivE did just a little better working for the private sector.

At the moment I make about $100k working for the feds due to having taken all the possible training to qualify for promotions. Whic isn't bad money if I lived in PA but I live in NJ where most people work in finance or pharma and do much better.

My issue with the teacher is simply that they are not doing what they are being paid to do. And the 22odd credits is just not right. My friends who were studying to be doctors could not understand why i was working so hard for such little pay and prestigue.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

At the moment I make about $100k working for the feds due to having taken all the possible training to qualify for promotions. Whic isn't bad money if I lived in PA but I live in NJ where most people work in finance or pharma and do much better.

I don't know what the overall job scene for mechanical engineers is like in NJ, but one of the [many] reasons I took my job here out of college as opposed to accepting a job offer to work in Plantation FL was that there are a ton of companies to potentially work for out here as an EE.

Does their hiring ebb and flow together to some extent? Sure. Do I like the idea of hopping around between companies to get ahead? No, and I haven't had to. But having more than one dog in town prevents you from getting "stuck" somewhere.

And I've got another answer to your original question about where we'll get engineers. It's simple really, and has nothing to do with promoting certain degrees, we'll just start calling every job there is " engineering" to make people feel more technical and skilled at what they do.

Such as Sanitation Engineer? Or Waste Disposal Engineer?
Already done. I was on a date a few months back and the girl asked "Are you really an engineer engineer?" now telling a good looking girl you are an engineer is akin to telling her you have some sort of horrible STD so I was not sure what to say. I asked her what she meant and she indicated her last date was with a "internal combustion engineer" which she found out translated to he worked at a mechanics shop.
I stated no I had gone to university and was actually an engineer but that she should note that though I am an engineer by education that I in no way embody the "typical" characteristics associated with those in the field. Very cute girl, sadly never got past date 2. I live in a place where girls, attractive ones, have a variety of choices when it comes to dating and a mech e just can't survive in a field dominated by guys who make significantly more in the field of finance.

But sadly it's true, I've had women "turn off" when I've told them my field of education. Both here in the US and in Europe. The conversation can go very well and I could be receiving significant IDOI's and when the issue of job comes to play I state that I'm an engineer and the woman will go cold. Now in a funny strange fact, the more......(god I'm going to get so much shit for this)...."well built" the woman is the more attracted she becomes when I say I'm an engineer. The more attractive (fill in the blank about size 6, dress well, look well, and so on) the more repulsed they become when I tell them I'm an engineer.

So now at 34 not only do I have to dance around the fact that I don't want to have kids while meeting women and where I'm from (Iran) but now I have to dance around my career.

Ps
The last I knew the girl was dating the mechanic. I guess they are considered a bigger catch in the dating pool.

My issue with the teacher is simply that they are not doing what they are being paid to do. And the 22odd credits is just not right. My friends who were studying to be doctors could not understand why i was working so hard for such little pay and prestigue.

Unfortunately, this is very school/program dependent. When I went through the program, we started with only 23 candidates and graduated 13. My professors were very accessible. Granted, that was 20 (oh, GOD, was that really 20 years ago) years ago. Now, I believe the program regularly starts with 80+ candidates and I have no clue how well the interaction between professor and student is.

On average as I understand it things have not changed.
50% of the students are lost the first semester.
50% the second all the way up to the last day.
Sound like hazing? It does to me.

But I can't tell you how much of that is due to students not being capable of doing the work Vs. how many students are discouraged by the instructors or unreasonable work load of 18+ credits per semester.

What I can tell you is this, if you are an immigrant odds are you will graduate with an engineering degree. And this appears to be the latent prestige which is associated to the field from the parents view of the field as well as limited choice due to finite ability to network.

Which is fine IF!
1) These students stay within the US when they graduate. They may be offered a better life if they return to where they came from. Note India and SEA.

2) We continue to have a semi liberal immigration policy.

Hazing? Absolutely not. It sounds like students who were not prepared for the curriculum, combined with being away from home for the first time and not having great self control. The candidates that did the best in most engineering disciplines were usually transfers from the community college system, who were a bit older and had worked part time to get themselves to the 4-year school or, like me, lived close enough to the school, that I commuted from my parents house and was required to work on the weekends to earn spending money for gas and insurance for the car. I had multiple scholarships that paid most of the tuition, so I graduated with no student loans. In order to keep those scholarships, I worked my butt off and partied little...until the summer break

[Reply]But I can't tell you how much of that is due to students not being capable of doing the work Vs. how many students are discouraged by the instructors or unreasonable work load of 18+ credits per semester.

Pretty much answered above. I honestly didn't find the workload that unreasonable. I have contemplated going back to school many times for an advanced degree in engineering, and the workload is the least of my worries, My workload today is heavier than what I had at school, with the added bonus of the liability of carrying a PE.

[Reply]What I can tell you is this, if you are an immigrant odds are you will graduate with an engineering degree. And this appears to be the latent prestige which is associated to the field from the parents view of the field as well as limited choice due to finite ability to network.

Which is fine IF!
1) These students stay within the US when they graduate. They may be offered a better life if they return to where they came from. Note India and SEA.

2) We continue to have a semi liberal immigration policy.

I don't buy the immigrant argument. Bottomline is that only a small percentage of the population is cut out to be an engineer. The discipline is a hard one, no different than Med school, theorectical physics, etc. You become an engineer because you like to solve problems and you have an apptitude for it. You certainly don't go into it for the prestige, or at least most engineers I know, didn't.

PhreePhly

I'm sorry but I can provide no rebuttal to your post that you won't take personally.
Please look up hazing and what it entails.
Basically that's what happened. You were placed under extreme physical and psychological pressure and you morphed into what you are today.
You love the field, and more power to you. That's great.
Nothing I can say will alter your view of the field. But that is also a bad sales pitch.

And that's the problem at hand, the field of engineering and science is lacking a sales pitch. Thus it either has to change to attract new members or become a field of study which will be dominated by immigrants or those who are truly into it.

Sadly, that is not enough. We need more engineers and scientists to meet our ever increasing reliance on technology.

PhreePhly

I'm sorry but I can provide no rebuttal to your post that you won't take personally.
Please look up hazing and what it entails.
Basically that's what happened. You were placed under extreme physical and psychological pressure and you morphed into what you are today.
You love the field, and more power to you. That's great.
Nothing I can say will alter your view of the field. But that is also a bad sales pitch.

And that's the problem at hand, the field of engineering and science is lacking a sales pitch. Thus it either has to change to attract new members or become a field of study which will be dominated by immigrants or those who are truly into it.

Sadly, that is not enough. We need more engineers and scientists to meet our ever increasing reliance on technology.

Well, you don't know me, so you certainly won't hurt my feelings. I would really appreciate you defining the "physical and psychological pressure" I was put under.

What sales pitch do you have in mind? What kind of sales pitch is going to magically make young students in jr. high and high school suddenly think that differential equations, statics, structures, thermodynamics, fluids, heat transfer, etc. are really cool, fun and easy to learn? Guess what, they're not. And only a certain type of personality is going to enjoy it and learn it.

I honestly think you are living in some fantasy world. What is your solution? How would you change the engineering program at a University, such that the engineering student learns all of the basic required skills in a 4 or 5 year program, but not have to carry such a heavy unit load per semester? You're trying to pour 100 gallons of water into a 20 gallon bucket without spilling any water. You can't do it.

I think your definition of hazing is a little loose. Sorta like claiming "terrorism" from having a bag of dog poop on your doorstep.

People drop out because they are not smart enough to keep up with the work. If they were smart enough to keep up with the work, an 18-hour courseload wouldn't be as big of a deal. They're not being abused or harassed to the point that they quit; they are just overwhelmed because they just aren't smart enough to cut it. Hell, some people can't read, write, or do math. Should they be obtaining degrees, or would you consider it 'hazing' if they were flunked out of a college for not being able to keep up?

>50% of the students are lost the first semester.
>50% the second all the way up to the last day.
>Sound like hazing? It does to me.

75% of AFF first jumps and 99% of tandems leave before they get their A license. Are we hazing skydiving students?

>What I can tell you is this, if you are an immigrant odds are you will graduate with an
>engineering degree.

Agreed, primarily because they are more motivated. They have to jump through hoops to get a visa, and if they drop out, they lose it - so they really want to succeed.

What sales pitch do you have in mind? What kind of sales pitch is going to magically make young students in jr. high and high school suddenly think that differential equations, statics, structures, thermodynamics, fluids, heat transfer, etc. are really cool, fun and easy to learn?

I'm thinking a commercial showing a pool party. Girls taking their tops off, hookers walking around with trays of blow, and guys with baggy jeans and backwards ball caps doing keg stands while they formulate equations on graphing calculators. The hookers can walk up to some muscle-bound jock playing on their iPhone and say, "I just can't figure out why an object wouldn't reach a terminal velocity in a vacuum. Why would there be no drag?" The guy on the iPhone says "WTF are you talking about? I'm a business major." Suddenly our hero appears from the pool, pasty white and skin that shows the formation of his endoskeleton. "Listen, baby, you need to talk to an engineer. Why don't we go back to my place and I'll show you a thing or two about the laws of motion?" Aaaaand, scene.

Engineering FTW!!

I'm thinking a commercial showing a pool party. Girls taking their tops off, hookers walking around with trays of blow, and guys with baggy jeans and backwards ball caps doing keg stands while they formulate equations on graphing calculators. The hookers can walk up to some muscle-bound jock playing on their iPhone and say, "I just can't figure out why an object wouldn't reach a terminal velocity in a vacuum. Why would there be no drag?" The guy on the iPhone says "WTF are you talking about? I'm a business major." Suddenly our hero appears from the pool, pasty white and skin that shows the formation of his endoskeleton. "Listen, baby, you need to talk to an engineer. Why don't we go back to my place and I'll show you a thing or two about the laws of motion?" Aaaaand, scene.

Engineering FTW!!

Yeah sure why not!

Such as Sanitation Engineer? Or Waste Disposal Engineer?
Already done.

I was thinking more about the term "financial engineering" that sounds like a euphemism for money laundering.

I was on a date a few months back and the girl asked "Are you really an engineer engineer?" now telling a good looking girl you are an engineer is akin to telling her you have some sort of horrible STD so I was not sure what to say. I asked her what she meant and she indicated her last date was with a "internal combustion engineer" which she found out translated to he worked at a mechanics shop. I stated no I had gone to university and was actually an engineer but that she should note that though I am an engineer by education that I in no way embody the "typical" characteristics associated with those in the field. ... The last I knew the girl was dating the mechanic. I guess they are considered a bigger catch in the dating pool.

The moral of the story is that it's better to have a fancy title for an ordinary job that you aren't embarrased about (or hell maybe even enjoy) than it is to immediately append defensive and/or apologetic language when asked what you do.

You could be a "cash tester" where all you do is take cash and spend it on whatever you want day in and day out and report back to your boss on how well it worked as money, and if you answered the question of what you did like you did above you'd start losing the interest of the woman you were talking to.

You could be a "cash tester" where all you do is take cash and spend it on whatever you want day in and day out and report back to your boss on how well it worked as money

Sounds like a financial engineer to me.

Yes, that was part of the joke.

You could be a "cash tester" where all you do is take cash and spend it on whatever you want day in and day out and report back to your boss on how well it worked as money

Sounds like a financial engineer to me.

And those SOB's not only make great money!
But you should see the girls/women who work in the field!
SMART AND FREAKING HOT AS HELL!
Dressed to kill and know just how to do it!