JerryBaumchen

Where will we get engineers?

Why do people treat engineer's like we're not human?

Bro code.
Yeah
Bro code indicates if one bro can't get his bro to stop chasing, dating or lusting after women who are greater than 90% of the bros weight said bro shall be treated as if he is not human.
Example
http://homepage.mac.com/dtrull/chicks/paigekiss.jpg<<>>>
"That bro is not human."

Ok all jokes aside? REALLY? I mean REALLY? Why are engineers treated as sub humans? Wow where do I start with this one? It's kind of like beating a quadriplegic with a bat!

1) With the work load / hazing that is endured by engineering students they spend hours if not entire weeks in the depths of computer labs or libraries where they are deprived of sunlight, food and social interaction. Thus when they emerge from their hiding places in search of cheep beer and women they resemble some sort of mole person who lives off of low end government cheese and curry....lots and lots of freaking curry! And who would not be scared of that!

2) Due to aforementioned work load / hazing engineering students lose their ability to interact with "normal" folks. Thus they fail at basic human communication and flounder in social situations that are not based on; 1) Solving math problems, 2) Talking about obscure experiments, 3) Trying to determine if that girl from Pakindia is a dude or a chick and regardless of what she is if she will go out with any of them?

3) Would you wish to hang around people who deliberately place themselves in the hardest situation possible with little to no reward? "We take the hard classes and get the low pay because we like it!" Sounds like there is some sort of sexual issue there.

4) You just know full well if you invite them to a party they will; 1) Bring more dudes. 2) Bring a brand of beer no one likes or everyone is scared of due to the label reading "Klingon Blood Wine" 3) If they do bring a girl she's from some country no one knows and no one is sure if she is a dude or a chick but everyone is sure that she is rather large and in charge and is picking fights with the cute girls and they are threatening to leave the party.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

>Thus when they emerge from their hiding places in search of cheep beer
>and women they resemble some sort of mole person who lives off of low
> end government cheese and curry....

In my experience, more like Ramen noodles. (or in my case, peanuts and orange juice, both available via the more easily accessible vending machines.)

>"We take the hard classes and get the low pay because we like it!"

Well, some of us like the hard classes and the high pay!

>You just know full well if you invite them to a party they will; 1) Bring more
> dudes. 2) Bring a brand of beer no one likes or everyone is scared of due
>to the label reading "Klingon Blood Wine"

That's me! (see attached)

>If they do bring a girl she's from some country no one knows . . .

Sounds like me too! See below again. (I dare you to try to pronounce her home town)

I have a higher starting salary than any of my friends that I graduated with, and the friends that graduated a year before I did.

I'm not into girls, but dated several hot guys when in college, and rolled around the hay with many, many more hot guys during college. I also didn't bring beer for others at a party; I brought alcohol for myself. Generally it was some sort of hard liquor in a canteen / nalgene. If the party was at my / my roommates' place, we mostly did shots and drank liquor or wine.

There were several times that I spent multiple days at the library, sleeping in the hole-in-the-wall I preferred to study in, but that was only when big projects were coming up. There are only 2 times I can recall it really being a problem, and one was building an operating system. When the project was finished, it was worth it to me.

Luckily, I had a few friends that would snap me out of it if I were at a party and suddenly have to leave because I thought of an algorithm that would solve a problem i'd been working on for a week. Admittedly, I sometimes kept pen and paper handy in case I had to write it down before I sobered up and forgot it though...

So......if you are into guys and are into crap food....and don't bring beer to the party or cute girls.....engineering is right for you?
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

I'm replying to the thread in general not a particular person.

Being able to get a job in your field after only 4 years of school sounds pretty damn good to me. Many scientific fields require a Ph.D. to get a job in that field. Try adding on another 5 years of torture (I mean education, of course ;)). I have no sympathy for any of you. Fortunately, most of you seem pretty happy with your education and subsequent employment. I think the key is doing work that you enjoy.

Back to analyzing brain scans now...

I have no sympathy for any of you.

I think most of the engineers on here (me included) aren't whining. Just a very vocal few :ph34r:.

You're right, the whining is limited. Most of you seem happy about your decision to be an engineer. My dad and my brother are both engineers. I don't think they have any complaints. But they both think I'm crazy for going to school this long. Only one more year :)

I think most of the engineers on here (me included) aren't whining. Just a very vocal few :ph34r:.

It's just so easy to make fun of engineers and even more so of engineering chicks.
I guess I just take advantage of it.

It's just so easy to make fun of engineers and even more so of engineering chicks.

You like taking advantage of engineer chicks?:D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

So......if you are into guys and are into crap food....and don't bring beer to the party or cute girls.....engineering is right for you?

It's more of, if people find you attractive with a fun personality, it doesn't matter what you studied in college; you'll still be invited to parties and have sex when you want / need to. I ate mostly healthy through school (minus long stretches in the library with no time for the gym), and still brought cute single guys / girls to parties with me. I also make an excellent wingman.

Look in the dictionary under the term "projecting". They did not put a mirror in the dictionary, that is actually your picture.

- Dan G

Look in the dictionary under the term "projecting". They did not put a mirror in the dictionary, that is actually your picture.

I don't know what offends me more in the filed, the vast number of professors who do not have a command of the english language, instructors who fail at their primary mission of educating students, the inflated egos of the very few girls who are enrolled or currently working in the field (note supply vs demand argument), and the vast number of guys who after a while just give up and buy into that they should lower their standards and settle down. And all of that is wrapped up in the very low respect garnered from the general public as well as the limited pay.

It is a great place to start off and learn, but my opinion...after "growing up" there are greener pastures to move to.

Well....ok.
Like I said you can't debate those who were indoctrinated.

And that's no way to get others to consider the field. Kids are smart and very skeptical and see past the "it's hard because it has to be" argument.

As the article clearly indicated, engineering needs a serious martketing make over.

I don't know what offends me more in the filed, the vast number of professors who do not have a command of the english language

Languages are capitalized, like English, not english.;)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

I don't know what offends me more in the filed, the vast number of professors who do not have a command of the english language

Languages are capitalized, like English, not english.;)

The best part of being ESL (English as a Second Language) I am with in my rights to stand up in class and state "Yo Sangive! Brother, we are in the US and here we speak English, can you repeat that last lecture in a language the rest of us can understand? And have paid good money for?"

Man that use to really piss off the professors. And the heads of the engineering departments didn't know what to say. Here is a guy, me, who's ESL and is demanding that his professors and instructors have the same proficiency in the language that he has. How do you argue that?

However speaking to others this issue with instructors lack of a command of the language appears to be more prevalent in state universities than private institutions.

Here is a guy, me, who's ESL and is demanding that his professors and instructors have the same proficiency in the language that he has.

The SAME guy that didn't know he had to capitalize the language English?

Here is a guy, me, who's ESL and is demanding that his professors and instructors have the same proficiency in the language that he has.

The SAME guy that didn't know he had to capitalize the language English?

I will write a letter to Apple regarding their interface such that capitalization is made easier on your behalf.

Maybe they will respond and had us some Ipad II's!

I will write a letter to Apple regarding their interface such that capitalization is made easier on your behalf.

I think the Apple interface is working just fine... My phone keeps trying to auto correct me when I type it wrong. :P

Maybe they will respond and hand us some Ipad II's!

The Ipad II doesn't do such a great job with respect to spelling. Maybe it's the settings.

But no I'm not interested in my PE. I'm more interested and pursuing my MBA. Only 6 months left and so far a nice 3.75 GPA.

I'm really looking forward to transferring out of the field. It was fun, I did it all, a few patents here and here, a few mill saved here and there, rose to about as far as I can go with my current employer and well....let's see what the world will bring next.

Look, I'm not arguing that engineering is the worst thing on the planet. My argument is this, a large number of very good innovative students with some amazing ideas are being "washed out" of the program due in part to this "suck it up" mentality. Add to it the extra financial burden of possibly an extra year of school and it becomes a mess.

I believe that with respect to technology the best has yet to come. But we will not get there with our current education structure. And sadly I don't think things will change much.

Have you taken the Professional Engineering exam and gained your licensure yet? Studying for the PE made engineering school seem like summer camp!

But what would I know? I'm just a lowly civil engineer (and a size 5) ;)

Getting a PE certification is more important in some engineering disciplines then it is in others... Civil Engineering is one of the disciplines that it is very important... I've also found that Mechanical Engineers can find some use in it.

I'm a Materials Engineer and although I took the EIT (Engineer In Training) exam (the precursor to getting a PE) I haven't (and probably won't) persue completing my PE.

especially since I don't do a whole lot of actual engineering any more...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...