guineapiggie101

doubling up on pain meds....

does that really help to take away pain, so I don't have to take "heavy duty" pain meds like Vicodin?

Also what is better to double up, tylenol, advil, etc..?

Last Sat when I did my AFF 7 jump, I flared way too early and ended up falling straight down on my butt (from about 6 ft). Jarred my back and my back and right side is still hurting a lot (to the point that I have trouble sleeping at night). I want to do my AFF 8 jump on Friday (since I know I will pass). Just need to find the right combo to dull the pain but not take away my ability to concentrate.

Um, you might want to make sure you didnt fracture anything before you go jumping again [:/] If you did and land on it again you could very well do permanent damage :(

Do not screw around with your back, much less your lower back.

She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

If I fractured something, wouldn't the pain be sharp and throbbing?

NO!! I got taken out in the landing area one time and walked around with a fractured arm for three weeks.

You just never know. Better to get it looked at now before you end up in worse shape.
Be patient with the faults of others; they have to be patient with yours.

If I fractured something, wouldn't the pain be sharp and throbbing?

Nope

This coming from a guy who's had a jacked up back for years.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Betty, please go to the doctor and get it checked.

I fractured my pelvis and didn't even realize it until the pain eventually got worse as time went by.

Sorry to tell you this, but I will say something if you don't go. >:(:P

Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

On my very first jump I botched up the landing, and my back hurt for a few weeks. I never went to the doctor. Two years later I had another mishap, that resulted in an ambulance ride to ER. When they X-rayed me, we learned I had crushed a vertebrae two years earlier. Had I gone to a doc at that time, they would have put me in a brace and the vertebrae would have healed straighter.

A couple decades ago I flared late and sprained the hell out of my thumb against the ground. I never went to the doc, and I've had a lateral flexibility in the joint ever since. Last fall I learned I had completely ripped a ligament. Had I gone to the doc within 3 weeks they could have repaired it. Because it had been so long, all they could do was use a tendon from my other arm to reconstruct the severed ligament. And I can look forward to getting arthritis in that joint from the years lateral movement which will require fusing that joint sometime in the future.

What I am trying to say here is: GO TO THE GODDAMN DOCTOR!!!>:(

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Lisa, I'm not trying to cause trouble here.

I'm just pissed at myself for injuring myself. And I am sooo close to getting off AFF :( .

I'll get it checked out. I still want to do my AFF 8 jump on Friday.

I know you're not trying to cause trouble, but your health and future well being are what you should be thinking about first.

Don't push yourself. Get it checked out. If there is something going on, you could make it worse. And think about how shitty your instructor will feel if that does happen.
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

I'm just pissed at myself for injuring myself. And I am sooo close to getting off AFF :( .

The sky will be there, if you land wrong and completely break your back you can put yourself in serious risk to far worse things.....
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Sounds to me like you should hold off on jumping for a bit. I completely understand wanting to get done with AFF. But the sky will always be there. You don't want to risk serious/permenant injury because you were impatient do you? And go to the damn doctor now!!!!!! Don't wait to see if it gets better or worse. The back is one of those areas you really don't want to mess around with.

Also what is better to double up, tylenol, advil, etc..?

Prescription ibuprofen (Advil) is usually 600-800 mg, so I sometimes take this amount in over-the-counter pills if I don't have a prescription filled. It helps with my back pain without making me feel "out of it" like opiate pain meds do.

Of course, I should be responsible and say that you should see a doctor first.

Let's say you have a compression fracture. Let's say you have a really hard opening the loads your spine (more than any regular opening we experience). Let's say it does permanent damage.

Let's say you crash again cause, well, you're a student, and it's likely. Let's say you dislodge said fractured vertebra into the spinal cord, and now you're paralyzed.

Let's say....aw fuck it, you should get the point by now. It just ain't worth jumping injured until you get an evaluation.

Speaking as one who has dislocated L shoulder, managed to bulge 4 disc, and broken my ass bone ...all from jumping (and on diff jumps mind you) ...please let me re-iterate what the above posters are saying: Go to the damn doc (just don't spell it out that you hurt yourself skydiving! Tell them you fell off the back of a pick up doing about 10 mph down a dirt road :) ). Better safe than sorry and all that shit.....

As far as pain meds go, thanks' to modern medicine there is no reason to be in pain. Therefore, when the little bottle says "take 2 tablets 4x/day as needed for pain" what they really mean is 'take 4 tablets every 1/2 hour as needed for pain...'

Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...

if one sprains there back, normally, how long does it take for the pain to go away?

A couple years I pulled a muscle in my back, just from bending over to reach something on the floor, first thing in the morning. It took a week of pain meds and two weeks of PT just to get to the point where I could climb on my bike again. It was another couple weeks of PT to get fully-functional.

But on the upside, my physical therapist was hot!:)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I'll get it checked out.

Whatever happens, I still want to do my AFF 8 jump on Friday. I am sooo close to being off AFF and for this to happen, really fukking sucks!!!!

if one sprains there back, normally, how long does it take for the pain to go away?

You are obviously not getting the point here, Betty.

Go to the doctor and get an evaluation. If he advises that you don't jump, do not jump. There are other Fridays. And the dz isn't going anywhere.

Yes, it sucks that you got hurt. Please don't make it worse because you are in a hurry.

We care. mmmkayyyy :)
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

I'll get it checked out.

Thanks. :)

Whatever happens, I still want to do my AFF 8 jump on Friday. I am sooo close to being off AFF and for this to happen, really fukking sucks!!!!

Of course it sucks. You're not the first jumper to make a bad landing and have to sit it out for a while. I've got that t-shirt.:P SIUCC.:D

Seriously. learn to PLF. It'll keep you out of the Doc's office and on the next load. That's what we all want, right?;)

Whatever happens, I still want to do my AFF 8 jump on Friday.

This comment REALLY scares me. You obviously don't understand that you can EASILY injure yourself more and cause permenant damage. Which would you prefer? Risk serious injury and possibly even paralysis? Or wait a few weeks, heal properly and finish you AFF then? If you chose A then I don't want to be in the air with you because you obviously don't understand the risks.

I'll get it checked out.

And fucking up your back permanently will suck even worse!!! Have some patience, Grasshopper!

"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

I know I can injure myself more and cause bigger issues. I'm very conflicted, and probably me posting this on here will lead to the DZ not allowing me to jump on Fri anyways.

I don't think most people understand how much of a struggle it has been for me to get through AFF. I've had to repeat levels, etc. I finally had a breakthrough about a month ago and started to pass levels and if you see my video from my most recent jump, compared to my AFF 3 jumps, you'll see how much I've come along.

To be held back on the verge of success is frustrating, esp for someone who has struggled through most of AFF and for whom, finally, the "light" has come on.

I'll get it checked out.

And fucking up your back permanently will suck even worse!!! Have some patience, Grasshopper!

As well as she doesn't want her skydiving career to end before it's barely begun.
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

I know I can injure myself more and cause bigger issues. I'm very conflicted, and probably me posting this on here will lead to the DZ not allowing me to jump on Fri anyways.

I don't think most people understand how much of a struggle it has been for me to get through AFF. I've had to repeat levels, etc. I finally had a breakthrough about a month ago and started to pass levels and if you see my video from my most recent jump, compared to my AFF 3 jumps, you'll see how much I've come along.

To be held back on the verge of success is frustrating, esp for someone who has struggled through most of AFF and for whom, finally, the "light" has come on.

Ask around. You'll find that MOST everyone at your DZ and on here had to repeat levels. It's not that uncommon. Don't be so hard on yourself. But it does truely worry me that you're even CONSIDERING jumping this weekend. I have spent many a days on the ground in beautiful weather watching people jump when I couldn't for one reason or another. There is still a lot you can learn by just sitting there and listening to peoples stories. So it's not a hinderance at all for you to not be able to jump. Just see it as a chance to get some good ground training in one form or another.