JohnnyMarko

Legal advice for a naive youngster...

Laws vary from nation to nation and state to state, but a sense of responsibility shouldn't change. Isn't the point of a leash to allow you to control your dog? Obviously, your dog was out of your control, so you share the blame with her.

That said, $224.69 doesn't seem like enough money to bother going to even small claims court, so she's probably bluffing. Offer to pay half, and that makes it $112, which is even less of a reason. If you're concerned about that being an acceptance of blame, write it out that it isn't - that you're giving her $112 in return for her not suing you for any of her dog's medical problems, without admitting fault - and make her sign it in return for a check. I don't know about Sweden, but in the US, that would be a valid contract; no need to waste money on lawyers for something so simple.

BTW, what kind of dogs are they?

T

1) Your dog didn't "attack" hers. They were playing and her dog got injured.

2) Your dog was on the leash, not hers.

3) The worst thing that could happen is you'll have to pay the full amount, which is what she's asking for anyway.

4) The best thing that could happen is you'll have to pay nothing, which is the current status quo anyway.

+1 Her dog provoked your dog. Let her take you to court. Maybe she'll keep it on a leash from now on.

I would have to pay half? I realize it was my dog that 'attacked' hers

Because of that, I'd man-up and pay the entire bill.

but I can't get past the leash laws....I didn't violate anything...

So, let me ask...what does the leash have to do with who got bit by whom? Would you have different feelings had her dog been on a leash, too? Or, had neither dog been on a leash?

IMO, it appears that you are using the leash law bit to avoid responsibility for your dog's actions.

No, not being nasty here...just stating opinion and reflecting on what I would do.

First off all, I'm not in Sweden...just outside STL..

Pops, my dog was the aggressor, but her dog approached mine. I don't deny my dog bit hers, but its that fact that her dog was allowed to even get near mine since it wasn't on a leash.

And talked to the landlord who owns the property. Pet owners, myself included sign a pet waiver stating all dogs must be on leashes in the parking lot and commons area.

I have two questions:

Were you holding the leash when this occured?

and

Did her dog run within the radius of the leash if you were holding it at the time?

I had my dog on a retractable leash shortened to about 5 ft and yes I was holding it when it occured.

She was heading back into her building and I was in the grass and her dog came into the radius of the leash.

If you let her take you to court, and you get a judgment against you, no matter how small, your credit is fucked for up to 7 years. 200 point drop immediately.

I'd pay the bill because your dog injured hers. Next time, call animal control if you see her dog unleashed.

Pops, my dog was the aggressor, but her dog approached mine. I don't deny my dog bit hers, but its that fact that her dog was allowed to even get near mine since it wasn't on a leash.

Yes, all understood. In light of circumstances and if unwilling to pay in full, offering half would not be unreasonable.

In that case, as mentioned by others, it might be prudent to CYA with some paperwork releasing you from any future liability.

It's too bad that things have already progressed past civility. It sounds as if there are two upset people trying to deal with each other and that makes things harder than it should have been.

Good luck whichever route you take, eh?

Maybe offer her a pity frack (I'm getting the hang of this, BIGUN! No $1 for me!) and she'll come around (no pun intended).
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Maybe offer her a pity frack (I'm getting the hang of this, BIGUN! No $1 for me!) and she'll come around (no pun intended).

He'll need a stunt double, Johnny boy is a pillow biter:ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Andy you're very right in your way of thinking.
Civility can work wonders.

When I bought my house last year, I first thought I had a non working sprinkler. I start digging to find my neighbor's sprinkler is almost 3 feet inside my property. I notice it's being mowed that way too. Huh. Walk over to talk to the old codger next door. Nicest old man on the street. He wondered why he had been paying the man to mow my yard. Never noticed the sprinkler was over there. Mind if I move your sprinkler? I say....
Not at all. Just make sure it works!

I was askeered I had a legal battle on my hands at first thought.

:)
so is this chick cute???
:P>:(

Was anybody else around to see what happened?

She broke the rules of your appt complex, and it sounds to me like her dog ran up to yours, and your dog, not knowing the intentions of her dog, defended itself. The fact that her dog ended up bleeding and yours didn't doesn't mean your dog was the one who was doing all fighting.

The way I see it, is that HER dog wasn't being controlled properly, because SHE chose not to follow the rules of the area where you were. and even rules aside if her dog doesn't listen to her and stay at her side then she should have it on a leash regardless.

I don't think you should pay a dime, but if the whole thing with the credit is true, then it might be worthwhile to pay her $100 to make the whole thing go away. Be sure to get a copy of the rules in writing, and give them to her, so she knows that she isn't some sort of innocent victim. Maybe send that to her first and see if everything doesn't just disappear...

It doesn't really apply, but if I was standing in a park and some guy came out of nowhere running straight at me, and didn't stop, my first reaction would probably be to punch them right in the face. Your dog having the same reaction seems perfectly reasonable to me...

Sure she's cute. And likes beer. And likes pot. Not the right parts though for me :P

We settled it tonight....

I am paying for the antibiotics portion of the bill, not the emergency fee for an after hours visit or the follow up visit. Anyone that knows me personally knows I'm a very reasonable young man, and it took a lot keep this out of court. She was hell bent on getting the full amount but after realizing she violated the apartment rules regarding leashes and could lose her dog, we agreed to settle it.
I'm not happy or mad. For me, the monetary loss is far easier on me than the stress further action would cause and having to deal with her after her original attitude....

[:/][:/]:|:|[:/][:/]

You owe her nothing. You had your dog under your control via leash. She did not have control of her dog. Her dog approached yours. Yours defended itself.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

I had my dog on a retractable leash shortened to about 5 ft and yes I was holding it when it occured.

Unfortunately, this may hurt your side of the argument. Despite popular belief, not all leashes comply with most leash laws. A lot of states' leash laws specifically define the MAXIMUM length a tether can be in order to comply with the law. Most states that I'm aware of set this limit at 6 feet. Even though you may have had the leash locked at "about 5 feet" at the time, the fact that you were using a retractible leash with a maximum extention beyond the (possible) legal limit means you may not have been in technical compliance with the law. You need to find the specifics of your jurisdiction's laws as to what is a legal leash, where a leash is required, and whether or not compliance with the law (and especially "borderline" compliance if it applies) absolves you of liability.

If you let her take you to court, and you get a judgment against you, no matter how small, your credit is fucked for up to 7 years. 200 point drop immediately.

I'd pay the bill because your dog injured hers. Next time, call animal control if you see her dog unleashed.

ooohhh. . . Please don't tell me you have leaned this bit of info by experience. I remember a quite handsome Staffordshire-esque hound you posted pictures some years ago.[:/]

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

ooohhh. . . Please don't tell me you have leaned this bit of info by experience. I remember a quite handsome Staffordshire-esque hound you posted pictures some years ago.[:/]

I know a bit about the legal system and taking people to court because of work stuff (non paying clients). I've never had any issues with my pets. :)
I don't have that staffy anymore though. :(

I see all of these people jumping on you saying that your dog attacked her dog and whatever. I had two pit bulls almost maul my 4 pound weenie dog to bits and I went and confronted the owners and they told me to fuck off. (the cops didnt do squat) So if her dog wasnt on a leash and you truly dislike her...tell her to go fuck herself...she should have had her dog on the leash and those are the rules to prevent events such as this. You gave her the opportunity to pay for part of the bills and she refused so if she confronts you again tell her to fuck off and go find a better way of using her time.

My bad, you meant judgements in general, not . . . nevermind. I got to watch my drunk posting.

Sorry about your dog[:/]

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

we had a Jack Russell attacking our Rhodesian Ridgeback... The Ridgeback was just trying to keep the JackRussel under control (by keeping it's head in the mouth, pegged to the ground). JR finished with a bleeding ear. The owner of the JR was very apologectic (if such word exists), because she knew her dog was all about trying to get in trouble with big dogs :o

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Well, I'll be the first to say, glad to hear the whole situation is concluded. I'm sure it is nice to not have to worry about it, even if you did chip in a few bucks.

Did I miss it? Where does it say this issue had been resolved?

Post #39
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"