sacex250

This is a BAD traffic idea!

Maybe it's just because I'm from California, but this has to be the craziest traffic signal idea I've ever heard of!

I wonder if the mad inventor who is trying to patent this has actually ever driven a car, let alone driven one in California!

The "Green" Traffic Signal without GREEN lights.
It's all been said before, no sense repeating it here.

Instead of reinventing the light they could remove it and put in traffic circles.

It's crazy how efficient they really are...and no electricity bill.

They could also change the laws to allow drivers to treat Red lights as Stop signs when there's no traffic, like what's being done for bicycle riders in some states. As a motorcycle rider it's pretty much normal to "run" red lights (after stopping) because the signal doesn't know you're sitting there.

Instead of reinventing the light they could remove it and put in traffic circles.

It's crazy how efficient they really are...and no electricity bill.

And they keep working during a power outage.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Get into the 21C ..... Round-abaouts are the way forward.

My city (pop: 65,000) is about half way through building 2 round-abouts at 2 adjoining intersections. There's a battle between the positive and negative viewers. Each have their own detailed studies. The positive is hoping 'to beautify' the area and provide a greater flow of traffic. The negative point to studies indicating increased traffic accidents and mayhem.

To be honest, I side with the negative. 3 main reasons why (for my town):

1) We have a greater than 50% elderly population that just won't get it and cause an increase in confusion and bottlenecking as they try and traverse through the 'maze, as they see it'.

2) The city has chosen to decrease the lanes from 2 to 1 just before the round-abouts, funneling traffic, which IMO will frustrate people who, lets just say, aren't the patient type.

3) The city has decided (and this is the most insane part) to put in back-in-diagonal parking around the circle of the round-abouts. :S

We're a few months away from this project being finished. Was supposed to be done this month, however it's proving to be a much longer production.

For me (and alot of other citizens I've talked with), we're just going to avoid the area altogether and take parallel side roads. What we do already during this building. We're creating more congestions on residential streets, however who wants to be a part of the confused, elderly drivers, learning how to drive without the stoplights they've already known and trusted.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Round-abaouts are the way forward.

For most junctions, yep. But there used to be a crazy busy roundabout just down the road from me that it was almost impossible to get onto at peak times. Eventually they replaced it with a traffic light-controlled crossroads which actually works a lot better.

There are plenty of hybrid junctions now that combine roundabouts with traffic lights. They tend to work pretty well, especially where they sequence the lights so so that if you're going at the right speed you get green all the way round.

And then of course there are mini-roundabouts that nobody understands how to use. Most people just drive straight over them. :)

3) The city has decided (and this is the most insane part) to put in back-in-diagonal parking around the circle of the round-abouts. :S

There's no accounting for morons in local government. Take a great idea and f**k it up.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

There's no accounting for morons in local government. Take a great idea and f**k it up.

Yes. #3 is just plain stupid. Ignorance (even in the elderly) is no reason to not put a circle (roundabout) in. People will learn. And then it is a much better intersection/junction.

Future generations will thank us :)
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Take a look at this
It's in a town with a very busy traffic flow during peak hours and a 20% retiree population. It's been in place for 30 years, and when I googled accidents for the location, the last one mentioned was in 2008.

But then they haven't considered turning it into a car park. :S

Anne

That is not nearly as bad as this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sud6iEh28ZM

Whoever thought that "magic circles" were a good idea must have been sampling the 'shrooms. :S The only way to negotiate them safely is with a helo spotter :P

Holy Hell!! Thank God I don't live in Swindon!

I looked at the related video with the animation showing how it supposed to work, and I still couldn't figure it out!

Magical Roundabout Animation

They just put in two circles on the entrance to my college, and another inside the college. For the amount of traffic on those roads, circles are far more efficient than traffic lights.

However, near where I work they just removed a hybrid traffic light-circle abomination and replaced it with a modified cloverleaf. For the amount of traffic (they estimate 100k cars a day) through that intersection the circle was pretty much impossible to get through, the flyover is a lot better.

I have noticed quite a few people going the wrong way (clockwise), as well as failing to yield to vehicles already in the circle at the ones near my college.

They could also change the laws to allow drivers to treat Red lights as Stop signs when there's no traffic, like what's being done for bicycle riders in some states. As a motorcycle rider it's pretty much normal to "run" red lights (after stopping) because the signal doesn't know you're sitting there.

I do that already. How stupid is it for me to sit at a light when NO ONE is around? Who's gonna tell?
My photos

My Videos

I do that already. How stupid is it for me to sit at a light when NO ONE is around? Who's gonna tell?

The cop that is hiding just out of the light circle the streetlights make :S..:o..:(.. >:(..B|
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

1) We have a greater than 50% elderly population that just won't get it and cause an increase in confusion and bottlenecking as they try and traverse through the 'maze, as they see it'.

Just recently I was nearly struck by one of these people in a large truck, me on my motorcycle. We did have an opportunity to stop and chat about proper safe driving techniques and better driving choices.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Just recently I was nearly struck by one of these people in a large truck, me on my motorcycle. We did have an opportunity to stop and chat about proper safe driving techniques and better driving choices.

There does seem to be a learning curve anytime a new circle is constructed. Here in Maryland there have been quite a few put in during the last few years. It's not perfect(because they are new and INITIALLY confusing), but it sure as heck beats the wait for the green light.

I live in a very rural county. Lights where all comers have to stop and wait (for the invisible driver "over there" drive us all batty. But sure as shootin', you don't dare run one, because Calvert Co has got to have the highest Cop per capita ever.

Anyway, circles are a much better option. Magic Circle notwithstanding, circles are simple, and efficient.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

I forgot to ask: was this because of a circle (roundabout)? or just someone not as aware of the surrounding traffic as they should have been?

I'm glad you weren't struck and hurt ( I know that should have been the first thing I said, but you snuck it in there and I answered accordingly) :$
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

There does seem to be a learning curve anytime a new circle is constructed. Here in Maryland there have been quite a few put in during the last few years. It's not perfect(because they are new and INITIALLY confusing), but it sure as heck beats the wait for the green light.

So how long should I stay away while our over-aged population learns to navigate this new adventure? I mean, it's all well and good until your car gets crunched.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I forgot to ask: was this because of a circle (roundabout)? or just someone not as aware of the surrounding traffic as they should have been?

I'm glad you weren't struck and hurt ( I know that should have been the first thing I said, but you snuck it in there and I answered accordingly) :$

No, it was 100% due to the traffic circle. They are common enough to have laws governing their function in the Texas Transportation Code, but people just have problems with them.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

So how long should I stay away while our over-aged population learns to navigate this new adventure? I mean, it's all well and good until your car gets crunched.

It's not a new thing at all. Even in California :P

The rules of a circle are super simple. Those in the circle have right of way. When approaching the circle, don't stop if there is no reason to (meaning no one is in the circle in your way). If you're in the circle, don't stop and let someone in Doh! All of these require looking ahead and anticipating--as does all driving.

Although, I guess you could stay away until they all croak, or at least are unable to renew their driver's licenses. :P

There are always going to be old folks out there (not all are as clueless as you imply). This should not be used as an excuse to avoid improvements.

Young people can be as clueless as old. FWIW, I don't see as many old folks on the phone (and ignoring the road around them) as young ones. :o
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9