Doasfu

FEAR? No Fear!

Inspired by the recent thread on fear, which I am quite familiar with, I was wondering what you folks think when you see a whuffo walk by wearing a "No Fear!" T-shirt. I always have to laugh to myself and think, "No fear? I've been scared out of my mind many times, but I'm still more extreme than you!" :)
Anyone else have to stifle a laugh at those?
Dan
(Hey Sangiro! It doesn't know whuffo either! :)

i know what you mean. What really gets me is that i see the same people day in and day out, walking around living thier mundane lives. nothing really changes, things just sort of become repetative for them. So i see these people and i know that they have never felt the joy of freefalling and I wonder where thier center of passion lies. I mean, I think of my life and skydiving is right up there at the top. Before that, i never really had anything that made me so motivated to learn, to experience, to witness, and to be a part of. So, feel bad for the whuffos, they dont know what true living is all about. Only those of us who prefer to exit the plane before it lands do
froggie

hey lazerq3,
i happen to have a 99' kawasaki ninja 250cc. it tops out at 115mph on the auto bahn, that's a hell of alot better than some cars do, granted it's not like ridig a 600 or 900 but it will still kick your ass if you don't know how to ride it. there's almost nothing like screaming down the "bahn" at 115 with your body a few feet from the road and passing cars going half your speed!!!!!...i'd kill myself if i had enything bigger!
as for the no fear shirts don't they have them for all kinds of sports? i have yet to see on for skydiving in specific, just extream soprts., or am i thinking of another kind of shirt?
<>

I don't quite buy into this 'if you haven't skydived, you don't know what it's all about' stuff. I have a friend who has never (and will never) make a jump. He has, however ridden through Africa (from Cape Town to Egypt) on his own on his motorbike, for fun he used to go down mountain passes on his speed skates (roller blades, using a friend on a motorbike to slow him down near the bottom) and at the moment he is mountain-biking semi-professionally in Switzerland. For me to tell him he hasn't lived because he doesn't skydive, who be beyond ludicrous (and probably earn me a well-deserved kick in the nuts). I hope to continue skydiving, but I also intend to continue mountain-biking. Don't judge people by their T-shirts just because they aren't skydivers - that would be a bit short-sighted and arrogant.
I am not having a go at any of you guys, just remember that skydiving isn't for everybody and if somebody gets his/her kicks from another (less extreme) sport - good on them!
/s

Skreamer,
I agree. There are lots of ways to lead a fulfilling life in my eyes, and I should have been clear. Penty of people are passionate about something they believe in, and try to do something about it. That's as good as an extreme sport. That said, my original post really refered to those people who you can tell just by looking don't lead interesting lives. The dull eyed fraternity boy sitting next you in class, etc.(disclaimer: not all fraternity boys are dull eyed.)

as for the no fear shirts don't they have them for all kinds of sports? i have yet to see on for skydiving in specific, just extream soprts., or am i thinking of another kind of shirt?

No Fear started with skydiving and base jumping shirts... then discovered that they could make a lot more money by including other sports. I have a couple of skydiving specific NF shirts.
I have to laugh when I see a NF shirt on someone who obviously has never made it very far from the recliner, remote and TV tray...
pull and flare,
lisa

I don't quite buy into this 'if you haven't skydived, you don't know what it's all about' stuff

Agreed. The important part is not WHAT you are doing - it's that you are doing SOMETHING. But when I am under canopy, looking down on the community below me, I really do think to myself "those poor people down there ... they have no idea..."
Frank

It is a sad note on the dilution of the "No Fear" logo that the coolest reference to it that I know of is my friend's license plate - PA "FEAR-WHT"
He got it in response to all the stickers plastered on kids' pieces of junk and over-chromed , big-tired, manhood-substitute pickup trucks.
Me, I always figured that if I had no fear, it'd show - no need to advertise. Well, I guess I do grin in the airplane a lot, if that counts as advertising. ;)
-patkat

froggie, I remember when that first occured to me; after my first jump, I went to a big store where they had a one hour photo (I got pics of my first jump, and I wanted them NOW!!). I had to wander around the store for a while until my pictures were developed, and I was so pumped I could hardly see straight...I was watching all the other people in the store, buying groceries, bickering about what kind of soup to get, etc., and I was thinking about how trivial everything seemed. All the things we're afraid of and all the things we hold back just seem so stupid after you've jumped out of an airplane! Nothing like a 9 thousand foot freefall to completely re-arrange your perspective on life, eh?
-zelda

[hey lazerq3,
i happen to have a 99' kawasaki ninja 250cc. it tops out at 115mph on the auto bahn, that's a hell of alot better than some cars do, granted it's not like ridig a 600 or 900 but it will still kick your ass if you don't know how to ride it. there's almost nothing like screaming down the "bahn" at 115 with your body a few feet from the road and passing cars going half your speed!!!!!...i'd kill myself if i had enything bigger! ]
I'm not knockin his bike which I think was the 250, it was nice but between the bike, the sticker and his attitude that he thought both him and his bike was king shit just made us all luagh at him. If thats what you feel safe with then great have fun and be safe, but dont roll up to a 900 and laugh. (this was his attitude)
jason

I saw a t-shirt at my DZ with a much more appropriate slogan to skydiving: "KNOW FEAR-SKYDIVE!"
That means a lot more to me. It's been said that if you're not scared, there is no courage. Courage is about working through your fear, not about never experiencing it. So someone sitting on their arse in front of the TV wearing a T-shirt that says "No Fear" is actually very appropriate.
Speed Racer
"Blue Skies, Red eyes, Sore thighs!"

Right on.
Quite frankly, I think skydiving is the ultimate, but that's not to say I didn't do some scary/fun things before I jumped.
I've seen some double-black ski runs that just made me go "no f@#$%in way". And that was after I started jumping. How 'bout rock climbing? Some guys/gals do it without lines & harnesses. And they don't have a backup like we do. You slip, you're dead. Heck, I'm still not too keen on cave diving. Rocks over your head in cramped quarters with a limited air supply... scary stuff. Panic down there and you're dead.
So yeah, skydiving is the bomb. Yeah a lot of people are missing out on a really great thing. But we aren't the only ones doing dangerous stuff. If anything, I've gained more respect for people doing some of the other things after I started skydiving. They're doing what they love and that's what counts.
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie

I used to do all of the things that you are saying are insane. I was a free climber when I was young. I still remeber the day that I was on my last climb. I was like 70' in the air crouched down to make a dyno move (a small jump to grab the next hold). Then suddenly the thought occured to me that if I slipped I would be there with a few broken bones at the bottom of a rock in the middle of mountains. That would have sucked. So I climbed back down. Sky diving is like rapelling all fun none of the worries. You do all you planning and all of the prevention then just enjoy the ride.
Blue Skys and Safe Landings
Albatross

Skreamer.
more power to those people. I am not very well learned in their sport, so I cant say much except that it doesnt seem like they have the backup safety devices that we do.. Its hard to explain this to my whuffo friends but maybe it will be easier to explain it to you guys. I couldnt imagine barreling down a mountain on rollerblades! the idea of that just terrifies me (how the hell do you brake?!?!) And mountain climbing. ah man, the terain is tough, its lasted thousands of years. I dont think that one climber can stand up to an entire mountain. The whole idea of scuba diving facinates me but I panic easily. Too many times I have almost drowned in the ocean or a lake in the middle of nowheres. Bungee jumpers~what the hell does their poor spine go through? and their only life line is a huge rubberband that by nature is ment to give (or is take a better word?) altitude? Roller coasters and other crazy ass rides that go in loops and upside down? I know one too many ******'* Amusements Parks ride operators that sit around and drink lots of beer and smoke massive amounts of pot before they go to work, among other things.(company name has been omitted just in case any employees of that company post here!) Granted, some dont but a majority of the ones that i have ment do. and they operate some of the most dangerous rides at the park. Besides, how do i know that you did a maintnence check or a test run on that ride before you loaded 30+ people into it? and the damned safety bars?!? Im a skinny, short person. I almost always lift right up out of my seat when I do ride them (which is rare) Give me the big yellow slide, maybe a merry go round, perhaps some tea cups. Ill take them.
My point being, I think that skydiving is a hell of a lot safer than many other sports. And i think that the whole idea that it takes a few people to get a plane up in the air (cooperative learning/working) enfluences my feelings on the subject too. I dont know of groups of (insert sport here) that travel together, engage in their sport together, do relative work together, consult eachother on Standard safety procedures, have sanctioned rules that the company (a dz in our case) must follow. I dont know, maybe a good way of saying this is to just say "safety in numbers!" and it takes at least two people to skydive. at least two.
ah well, just my .02 cents. I didnt mean to disrespect other sporters, actually, i have lots of respect for them, their doing things that i would never dream of. Or be able to do (an african safarie sounds awesome!)
froggie

Froggie,
Myself, I'm a recovered roller coaster addict. I'm curious, have you been on any since you've jumped? I have to admit, I was never scared of rides, but since I've skydived, they honestly don't even phase me. It's actually kind of a bummer, as I really used to love them. Last year I went down to Cedar Point in Ohio with some friends and rode the tallest roller coaster in the world and was pretty much underwhelmed. I actually remember on the ride to altitude for my first jump I turned to the JM and asked, "this is really going to ruin roller coasters, isn't it?" He just snorted derisively at their mention.
That said, the ride that still freaks me out a little is the "Skycoaster." Has anyone here ridden that crazy thing? It's a 200 foot arch, with a tower some distance away from it. A harness hangs from the bottom of the arch, and once you're fastened in, you're pulled backwards to the top of the tower, so that you're 200' in the air, directly across from the arch which you are connected to by the rope. When you're at the top of the tower, you pull a handle (like a cheap plastic ripcord), disconnect from the tower behind you and zoom down through the arch, swinging back and forth. The ride itself isn't much, but being winched backwards up 200' is quite something.
Procrastinating rather than studying,
Dan

Myself, I'm a recovered roller coaster addict. I'm curious, have you been on any since you've jumped?

HELL NO! I seriously hate those darn things. they scare the living begeebees out of me (spelled it differnt this time sis :) I cant even stand to watch them. I try to but i end up turning around. I even get in the line for the roller coasters once in a while, trying to convince myself to go on one. but i always end up chickening out (excuse me, excuse me, coming thru, I know this is a one way line, but LET ME THE HELL OUT!)
One of the first things that I heard (thanks to webmaster stacy :) was that skydiving was nothing like riding a roller coaster. I think that if i didnt see that, and it was something that i had heard (which i hadnt at that time) then i would never have tried it. I can be a bit niave at times and it shows pretty badly. I dont realize things, i dont think about them. Like the ride to atli. I got over that fear years before skydiving, while riding on a comercial flight. So the idea to be afraid during the ride up never occured to me. I just sit back and love it. Im like that a lot as far as skydiving goes. I danced on the idea that i would be afraid of letting go in the doorway, but when it came time to, it was almost too easy. I just was so ready to jump, so excited to freefall, that I didnt even consider it. Guess i just spent too much time dwelling on the whole idea of a roller coaster to be past the fear stage, or not even reach that stage. oh well. I can do without a few miles of wood and nails connecting to some unsturdy "car" for a brief 4 minute ride. No worries here (damn you aaron, got me saying that now :)
froggie

That said, the ride that still freaks me out a little is the "Skycoaster." Has anyone here ridden that crazy thing?

Yep. They have one here in Houston. Dunno how high it is, but they're fun.
Also bungee jumped from the AJ Hackett platform in Vegas. That was probably the scariest thing I've ever done. I looked down and my knees literally buckled. The only thing that might top bungee on the "absolute terror" meter for me would be BASE. Gotta do Bridge Day one of these days.
As far as roller coasters go, I love 'em! Especially the old rickety wooden ones. They throw you around all over the place. Only thing that sucks about coasters is that you have to wait 2 hours for a 60 second ride. :P
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie

Hi Zennie
I did the AJ Hackett bungi in Vegas in December (twice). That was the test I set myself to see if I had the balls to have another go at skydiving (AFF, which I subsequently did). The reason why I made myself do two, is because I wanted to do it without the sensory overload the second time and REALLY taste the fear. Can't wait to get back to Vegas when it's a bit warmer because then they will dip you in the pool on your first bounce.
/s

Can't wait to get back to Vegas when it's a bit warmer because then they will dip you in the pool on your first bounce.

Yeah, they go "You want a water touch?". I said "Sure". They've got it down to a science. I went in about up to my elbows before I started the trip back up. Bungee gives "ground rush" a whole new meaning.
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie