shah269

What is wrong with engineers? Shooting a dead horse.

For every time an engineer answers a question with another question.....I will go out and kill one random cute animal!
I will start with the engineers, dog, cat or ferret

."

Not yourself?>:(
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

> Just curious, do you actually skydive?

Are you kidding? With all those stuck up women who are used to being fawned over by the 20 guys on the DZ all trying to hit on her? And the men are even worse! All those guys who answer questions with questions:

"Hey, wanna do a two way?"
"Sure, what do you want to do?"

"What canopy should I get?"
"Well - what are you jumping now and how many jumps do you have on it?"

"How's it going?"
"OK, how's it going with you?"

And the old RW guys who squeeze their fat bellies into those floppy suits! And those 4-way people with the gay useless booties and matching $1000 helmets. And the freeflyer fashion plates who have more metal in their faces than a big American SUV. Shah would sooner tear his own eyes out, or go out and kill a random cute animal, than deal with those losers.

:D:D:D
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Just curious, do you actually skydive?

edited for clarity.

Summer every other sunday when I have time. I'm going for my MBA and have class every Saturday. I'm doing my best. But this summer I'll have more time :)
See I gave an answer not a freaking question.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

See I gave an answer not a freaking question.

We're all so very proud of you. You're a credit to your profession.

We talked about this I am a Persian god! But you can just call me shah
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

That's it! I got it! Why I HATE ENGINEERS!
They never give you an answer, they just give you another question.

Try it next time.
Ask one of them what they want to have for lunch.
Odds are they will ask "Well what do we have for lunch?"

How about you STFU and just say yes!

Usually if someone asks you, "What do you want to have for lunch?" it's a courteous way of stating, "I'm hungry, let's go eat something." You can respond in a few ways...

If the person stopped in the doorway to ask and they look ready to go right this minute, chances are they have some place in mind and I'll probably ask them if they have a craving for something, courteously deferring the choice to them because I'm betting they're already made it.

If the person comes and sits down slouching in a chair and asks then they're obviously not very excited about lunch and they probably have no idea what they want to eat. In that case I'll try to come up with a couple places I haven't been to in a while or that aren't on the usual rotation because I'm thinking they've already thought about the usual places we go and none of it sounds appetizing, hence the slouching in the chair.

...the person in question is incapable of feeling or reading others emotional state. A total lack of empathy or emotional intelligence!

Or you can "STFU and just say yes!" which doesn't even make any sense because they didn't ask a yes or no question. Also, I'm not sure how you are supposed to both STFU and say something.

Case in point answer a question with the same question drawn out regurgitated and digested.

I ask a business major.
Dude lunch?
Answer
Yeah

So there you have it the problem.

Ask an engineer
Can we go to the moon?

And what do you get back?
Which moon
How would you like to go
When would you lime to go
How do you feel about going

Stfu
Just say yes and we will figure out the rest later

Maybe this is why the ladies hate engineers.....they freaking talk too much and like so many girls are incapable
Of making a decisive decision,

Maybe this is why the ladies hate engineers.....they freaking talk too much and like so many girls are incapable

I'm going to ignore the blatant sexual bias in this statement, and instead ask you to make up your mind. Do you think engineers talk too much, or as your OP in this thread suggests, not at all?
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

I'm going to ignore the blatant sexual bias in this statement, and instead ask you to make up your mind. Do you think engineers talk too much, or as your OP in this thread suggests, not at all?

Its a known scientific fact that women utilize more words to communicate than men. Further more women tend to contemplate a decision more than men. It is what it is.

And engineers seem to answer questions with more questions and as such utilize more words and contemplate more than say business majors.

And let's be honest most women prefer decisive men over those who are unsure. And this rephrasing the question over and over again....appears to be indecisive

Then why'd you complain of the ride where they wouldn't talk? I guess you fit right in the stereotype that you yourself paint of engineers. You just seem to repeat (complain) of the same thing over and over. :P

Although, I must say that your are very effective in getting the rest of us to reply to you. Shame on us. :S;)

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

So ther we we have come full circle.....

So you want to bet your future on a bunch of guys who don't want to answer questions and who lack social skills.....

Ah shit we are fucked

So ther we we have come full circle.....

So you want to bet your future on a bunch of guys who don't want to answer questions and who lack social skills.....

Ah shit we are fucked

So why did you decide to to become an engineer, and thus turn yourself into your own worst nightmare?
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

>So you want to bet your future on a bunch of guys who don't want to answer
>questions and who lack social skills.....

Yep, we always have. Seems to have worked out.

Do you think he knows the bare basic degree requirements of skippers and officers of Ballistic Missile nuclear subs and their sister Fast Attacks? Deadliest machines of war ever built by mankind. Can't even screen for a Commission without one of a few qualifying engineering degrees. They are the most trustworty Trekkies to walk this planet.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Put it this way; if no one had ever flown in space for more than, say, a couple of days in earth orbit, do you think we could go to the moon today for the first time ? Our aerospace giants are gone. Most factories, gone. I am not at all sure we could do the first moon landing today. It will be very hard to do as it is, and we have all the plans from the last time. Not sure we have the guts to do it now, either.
I will concede that we might be able to do it, given a 15 year or more time span to do it..... maybe !!!! Many people do not know that the Russians had a Mars probe launch this week !!!! And it never left earth orbit, due to problems. Just shows how hard that stuff is even after 50 years of doing it.

Stfu
Just say yes and we will figure out the rest later

And that is how failed projects and business's are born. Not to mention the skydiving incidents where people STFU and learn after the fact... broken legs because students didn't ask how to land properly included:D:P
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Ah shit we are fucked

So why did you decide to to become an engineer, and thus turn yourself into your own worst nightmare?

'm an immigrant to this great nation. I have no family here other than my mother, my aunt and my brothers.
The key for an immigrant into middle class life are either; start your own business, engineering or medicine.

I lacked the funds for medical school and owning a gas station was just not my thing.

So like the sea of immigrants from the near and far east....I decided to take the safe bet, and become an engineer.
Hardest 5 years of my freaking life!

I'm a social person, i enjoy going out, i love knowing "Why" and throwing caution to the wind and seeing where things go.......
i was a very round peg in a very square hole.

So here I am, the guy who rocks pink and red and blue and yellow men's shirts with the buttons fully done and a real tie in a sea of;
one size too big no name polo shirts and dirty kacki pants that are two sizes two small.

A guy who doesn't need all the facts to tackle a problem in a world where people want every single variable called out and examined via thousand pages power point slides.....all in hopes that by the time that all the variables are totally evaluated that I as the manager will forget the project and let them go so they don't have to take any risks.

I decided to take the safe bet, and become an engineer... i was a very round peg in a very square hole.

It's, "a square peg in a round hole." ...given your mangling of that idiom, I wouldn't bet on you, as safe a bet as you claim it to be.

A guy who doesn't need all the facts to tackle a problem in a world where people...

...are going to either have lunch or not have lunch.

Thats actually called being thoughtful. Decision making often involves multiple stakeholders and is not exclusive to the engineering domain. It isn't as simple as STFU and say yes. Imagine if doctors did that.

And engineers seem to answer questions with more questions and as such utilize more words and contemplate more than say business majors.

So what you're saying is business majors are shallow, apathetic and impulsive when it comes to answering questions or making decisions ?

Ask an engineer
Can we go to the moon?

And what do you get back?
How do you feel about going

"How do you feel about going"
????

what kind of engineers do you hang with?

(however, "which moon".....that's a pretty good question.)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

More questions are the 1st steps towards an intelligent reply instead of a glib response.:P

I work with engineers - I am one. I do find, though, that the glib response is usually all that's needed to get the best progress from over half the problems presented. The other half, I'm very grateful that they do dig into the nitty gritty - more matter how tediuous those items are.

but you have to admit - the typical (stereotypical anyway) Engineers do have trouble sorting out those questions that require in depth focus vs getting the lead out and doing something now.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I as the manager will forget the project and let them go so they don't have to take any risks.

You, as the manager.....

I'm in the same boat. However, as a leader, you have to be able to put your head into their brains and be the one willing to take the risk when they get stuck.

Engineers are, THANKFULLY, highly risk adverse. That's their comfort zone. They are not ALLOWED to take risks unless they are in a very good compay culture. Learning happens when we make mistakes (called design 'iterations'....:D)

A good manager hires great engineers, and gives them the outlet to work through all the nitty gritty.

Edit: On review, it actually sounds like you have a management chain that overmanages/micromanages. Else, you wouldn't have overly cautious engineers and tons of Power Point slides. (based on a really cursory read here).