shah269

What is wrong with engineers? Shooting a dead horse.

Look around you, has the world improved by great leaps and bounds? Other than the internet and a few other things.....how is your home heated? Cooled? Food brought to your table? Are we at the moon or just sitting in our back yards trying to find excuses why we can't get up and go?

Actually, from an engineering standpoint all of those things have changed quite considerably.

Yes, we still burn hydrocarbons to heat our homes, but we do it several orders of magnitude more efficiently than we did 200 years ago.

Cooling? Until 60 years ago refrigeration and air conditioning pretty much didn't exist. You cooled your home by opening the windows, now we have fairly efficient air conditioners.

The entire agricultural system is vastly more efficient than it was in the past. From more productive crops and techniques to more efficient distribution systems, the agriculture of the early 20th century would simply not be able to feed the 7 billion souls on this planet.

And there is no reason we couldn't go to the moon tomorrow. The reason it isn't happening isn't because we don't have the technology, it's because the costs involved have been deemed to not be worth the benefit.

GREAT! We are no better than where we were in say...1985! Woo hoo!
Pardon me for expecting more of us!

Hell man in a way we are worse off than 1985....we had a space program back then that kids could look up to, and a commercial aircraft that could do mach 1+

All we have done is sharpened the pencil every year just a little sharper....and a little sharper and now....it's time to put it down and pick up a pen.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

We still have a space program. It may not be sending as many manned missions, but there are a large number of important satellites that are launched every year.

The reason we no longer have a commercial aircraft that can do mach 1 is because it is far more efficient to carry 400 people at .85 mach than 100 people at mach 2.

The Concorde burned almost three times as much fuel per passenger mile than a first-gen 747. There is a reason it (and the Tu-144) were the ONLY civilian airliners to use afterburning low-bypass turbojet engines. All modern airliners use non-afterburning, high-bypass turbofan engines.

Good thing we do actually have SOME smart engineers then wouldn't you agree???
B|B|B|

Man the sound of a turbojet though....
There's an A-4 Skyhawk recently restored at the airport down the street from my house. I chased her down while she was flying, followed her to the hangar and introduced myself. I've become friends with the team restoring her.
Speaking of which, I'm due to bring some beer for a visit soon. Mmmmmmmmm...jet fuel.

We still have a space program. It may not be sending as many manned missions, but there are a large number of important satellites that are launched every year.
bla bla bla bla .

OK so what kid says "When I grow up i want to be a Mars Rover!"
http://images.wikia.com/simpsons/images/e/e4/Ralph.gif

NO KIDS use to say they wanted to be pilots, and astronauts and would look up and admire what we had done for them!

Now, what is a kid looking up to?
What do they aspire to be?
Hedge fund managers? Reality tv stars?

George Mallory (1886-1924), answer to the question 'Why do you want to climb Mt. Everest ?'.

"Because it is there."

As an older engineer once told me "Engineers today...can't justify a two door over powered convertible that sounds like a unhitched lion that melts panties and puts a smile on your face from ear to freaking ear!" while drinking his Bourbon straight and dreaming of what could have been if we grew our balls back!

normiss
That photo....TITS!
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

Shit I shouldn't have caught up with this thread when I am tiredB|

Shah your attitude just pisses me off - yes I am a fucking engineer. Years ago I worked with some a-holes who were elitest and looked down on mechanical engineers as the lowest scum. I'm an RF/ASIC designer and I have friends who are very interesting mechanical engineers. These are guys who have hobbies ranging from micro-brewing to breeding exotic birds and fish.

You need to get off your high horse. You may know the saying "those who can do, those who can't teach":ph34r:. That is what proper engineers think of people who did an engineering degree and stopped practising:D

I used to think you were trolling women and engineers for a laugh, but it has worn so thin. Anyway I am going to get a :D.

Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

bla bla bla bla .

OK so what kid says "When I grow up i want to be a Mars Rover!"
http://images.wikia.com/simpsons/images/e/e4/Ralph.gif

NO KIDS use to say they wanted to be pilots, and astronauts and would look up and admire what we had done for them!

Now, what is a kid looking up to?
What do they aspire to be?
Hedge fund managers? Reality tv stars?

George Mallory (1886-1924), answer to the question 'Why do you want to climb Mt. Everest ?'.

"Because it is there."

As an older engineer once told me "Engineers today...can't justify a two door over powered convertible that sounds like a unhitched lion that melts panties and puts a smile on your face from ear to freaking ear!" while drinking his Bourbon straight and dreaming of what could have been if we grew our balls back!

normiss
That photo....TITS!

Well, when I was a kid, which wasn't all that long ago, I wanted to a pilot. To the point where I enrolled in AFROTC and was willing to have LASIK in order to qualify for a pilot slot, until one of my doctors a few years ago claimed I had exercise induced asthma, which I don't, but that's a whole different story... Now, I want to be an engineer and am 3 years from graduating from Drexel with a BS in Computer Engineering.

Kids today still want to grow up and be pilots, they still want to grow up and be engineers, they still want to do everything they wanted to do 20 years ago...

And I would really like the hear the part of that quote that you omitted, because it really doesn't make any sense at all the way you wrote it.

And I would really like the hear the part of that quote that you omitted, because it really doesn't make any sense at all the way you wrote it.

That was it...."Because it is there"

I am an engineer, I still do....or try my best to do. And work hard at encouraging others to push and do as well.
As a Black Belt I've mentored a few very good teams, and I still have no clue why but engineers get scared of two things.
1) Failure
2) Saying "I don't know"

Hell man! I love failure! That's job security right there!
Why did that thing blow up when you plugged it in?
I don't know but we do need it to work so let's figure out why!

normiss
That photo....TITS!

No, this missing part of this quote.

>OK so what kid says "When I grow up i want to be a Mars Rover!"

All the kids below.

>NO KIDS use to say they wanted to be pilots, and astronauts . . .

Yep. And that was a mistake - because there aren't many jobs for astronauts. There are, however, a lot of jobs for engineers who will build the next generation of space vehicles.

So if you want to encourage kids to get involved with engineering, get them an electronics kit or a water rocket - not a spacesuit costume.

No, this missing part of this quote.

I asked him opinion about a Prius we had just rented....
He called it an "Elephant prostate massager"

The guy use to work on the SR-71 program back when they were thinking of arming that bird to take down incoming ICBM's

>"Engineers today...can't justify a two door over powered convertible that sounds like
>a unhitched lion that melts panties and puts a smile on your face from ear to
>freaking ear!"

Oh yes we can.

Cool car B| but it's missing the lion's roar ;)
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

>"Engineers today...can't justify a two door over powered convertible that sounds like
>a unhitched lion that melts panties and puts a smile on your face from ear to
>freaking ear!"

Oh yes we can.

Cool car B| but it's missing the lion's roar ;)

And that rumble and that feel....and it's' an automatic!
Darling does that car make your panties melt? :P

Hell it makes me ask, "So.......if i were to get in it and drive with the top down all day...........what do you mean I can't drive all freaking DAY!"

Now slap a turbine in there running on bio diesel and ha HA! Now we are talking!

http://www.topgear.com/uk/videos/electric-shocker

>And that rumble and that feel....and it's' an automatic!

Nope! Not an automatic. And because of that it feels a lot better than any other car I've driven. No periodic "oh, the engine just can't deliver any power, poor thing; I better put it in neutral for a second so I can change the gears to placate that poor overworked motor." You just push the pedal down and it keeps going - without interruption.

>Hell it makes me ask, "So.......if i were to get in it and drive with the
>top down all day...........what do you mean I can't drive all freaking DAY!"

I guarantee your bladder will give out before that thing's battery pack!

I'm going electric go cart racing tonight....about $20.
;)
Ever wonder why the ladies love the HD's?
I'll give you a hint it has nothing to do with the MPG :)

And it is from this stew that our latest crop have come from. If all you are doing is promoting those who take no risks and have no idea what it feels like to fail, to fall to bleed and to push back up and keep walking what are you left with?

The whole world doesn't work that way.

I work mostly for companies which have an 80%-90% chance of failing. The last crash cost the investors about $20M and one I suspect to be circling the drain will probably end around a $35M loss. Between was a $360M exit on $160M of venture capital + debt. The sad thing is that the probable drain circling company abandoned a product nearly identical to what a competitor built into a business with a $3.1B market cap on $111M of venture money and $234M raised in their IPO (IIRC their cap reached $1.8B at that point).

My resume head line including "to learn new things and make different mistakes than before" never precluded a job offer anywhere I wanted to work. Entrepeneurs who crater get funded more often and with better terms than first timers.

Most important is that I get a lot of opportunity to do whatever I want provided it's good for the business and we don't have room for the unproductive people and their fiefdoms that make life less pleasant.

>Eh, CVTs just don't have the same feel as a manual.

No CVT either. Engine connected directly to the wheels. (Actually I think later Teslas have a two speed gearbox, but few people use them; they just leave it in one gear all the time.)

>if it doesn't have three pedals, I don't want it.

I'd suggest driving a Tesla before you decide that! It really is a completely different experience.

You know what guys, all things aside, this has been a very good discussion.
Who knew we can be civil!

Well except for those civil engineers....they just build targets! :P

Read my bio, I have 2 pattents I can talk about openly, the other 2 not as much.

You can't have patents that you can't talk about. That doesn't even make any sense. The word "patent" literally means t- oh forget it.

Department of Defense related-work. I'd love to play with a few toys he can't talk about B|.

"I'm going electric go cart racing tonight....about $20."

Electric Kart racing?!?! I don't believe I just read that. Shah, have you not discovered the joys of TAG Karts? Get a bunch of friends together on a track w/those. It's a cheap, fun time. Only in the dead of Winter do I do some laps in those electric kiddy karts. Even then, they're pathetic...