Peej

Any of you culture vultures know about opera?

I've never seen one. So in a bid to broaden my horizons i'm going to one with a girlfriend.

It's called La Traviata, anyone heard of it/seen it?

Sarcasm/random metrosexual accusations not needed here, move along :P

edited for spelling: stoopid fingaz

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Yes...its a "not bad" opera, I believe written by Verdi, who wrote some other good music.

However, La Traviata would not be my first pick to go to see,

Relax...you might like it. Maybe the music will "grow" on you

Good luck:ph34r:

Boy, the things men do to please women....

Bill Cole

"I believe written by Verdi, who wrote some other good music."
LMAO Bill, its like saying "The Beatles, ah yes they were a popular beat combo a while back".
:)
As Bill said, keep an open mind, relax and see if the music works for you.

You can listen to some streaming popular classical music from a British station here
http://www.classicfm.com
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

It's called La Triviata, anyone heard of it/seen it?

Sure. Opera is right after skydiving and guns, and comes just before pussy.

As Chuteless confirmed, it's written by Giuseppe Verdi.

It's set in Paris and the surrounding area in August 1850 through February 1851 and premiered in Venice in 1853. Its remained quite popular ever since apart from a slow period in the UK during the Victorian era as one of the main charecters is a courtesan.

Briefly, the plot is as follows...

At a party in Violetta's house, Alfredo is introduced to Violetta whom he has admired from a distance. Together they offer a toast to the revelers. The crowd leaves to dance, but Violetta, who feels faint remains. Alfredo joins her and expresses the deep concern he feels for her. She cuts him off telling him to look for love elsewhere. Alfredo begins to leave when Violetta gives him a flower and tells him to come back when it is wilted - tomorrow.

Five months later, Violetta and Alfredo have moved to a country house near Paris. Annina, who has been absent, returns and informs Alfredo that she has been away to make arrangements to sell her mistress' belongings to pay for her new life here with him. Alfredo leaves to secure money so that Violetta does not have to. Violetta arrives and soon after, so does an invitation to a party at Flora's that evening. A visitor arrives who announces himself to be Alfredo's father. He questions her virtues, but at the same time is impressed by her lady-like manners. She shows him the receipts of the sale of her belongings which helps to establish her as a lady of dignity and character instead of a fortune hunter as Giorgio first believed. She tells him that her love for Alfredo has redeemed her, but Germont says she must sacrifice Alfredo. It seems that Alfredo's scandalous affair with her has made his sister's chance for a respectable marriage very slim. Violetta refuses to give Alfredo up, but the elder Germont persists. She finally gives in and after Germont leaves, she writes a note for Alfredo.

Suddenly, Alfredo appears and she begs him to love her as she leaves for Paris and Flora's party. Moments later, Alfredo receives the letter from a gardener and realizes that his dream has ended. The elder Germont arrives to comfort Alfredo, but when Alfredo finds the invitation to Flora's party, he rushes off to the party. Full of rage, Alfredo denounces Violetta in front of the guests. Remorseful and shamed, he leaves. A month later, they are re-united after the elder Germont tells Alfredo of his earlier request of Violetta to leave him. The re-union, however, is short-lived as Violetta's succumbs to consumption.

In my opinion, the best music is the party scene in Act 2 scene 2.

Enjoy.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

"In my opinion, the best music is the party scene in Act 2 scene 2."
Truly a man of taste.:)But my Favourite Verdi piece comes from his less well known Nabucco, and its the Chorus of the Hebrew Slaves, a lovely relaxing wee tune. Just what the doctor ordered after a hard day discussing global politics, religion and the pros and cons of RSLs.B|
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

the only piece of opera I have seen is : Boris Godounov, and it was at the Marinski Theatre in St Petesrburg, and in Russian... With english "subtitles" though.

I think the traviata is a quite easy 1st step into the opera world.
ENJOY and remember, do not clap hands before many other people do. :P:P
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

But my Favourite Verdi piece comes from his less well known Nabucco, and its the Chorus of the Hebrew Slaves, a lovely relaxing wee tune. Just what the doctor ordered after a hard day discussing global politics, religion and the pros and cons of RSLs.B|

Is that just after Abigaille discovers she's not his daughter but the child of slaves?

t
It's the year of the Pig.

The copy I have is on one of those 'best of' type CDs, and its been a wee while since I heard it in its entirety. So I'm not 100% sure where it sits in the opera, and I'd rather not shit you, but I did find this translation from it. I thought it might appeal to you....

Fly, thought, on wings of gold,
go settle upon the slopes and the hills
where the sweet airs of our
native soil smell soft and mild!
Greet the banks of the river Jordan
and Zion's tumbled towers.
Oh, my country, so lovely and lost!
Oh remembrance so dear yet unhappy!

Actual tune to download here...
http://www.r-ds.com/opera/verdiana/lyrics.htm
--------------------

"Skydivers never cease to amaze me."

B|

I think the last time I was discussing music with Tonto we were lamenting the loss of Joe Strummer and the influence of the Clash......
B|
--------------------

I've recently seen a bunch of operas and of all of them La Traviata is by far my favorite one. It's just really good.

Have you ever seen Pretty Woman? La Traviata is the opera they see when they fly to San Francisco(?).

Enjoy it!

kristen
swooo #3 MB #3587 P.M.S. #66
"so let go, jump in...what're you waiting for? it's all right 'cause there's beauty in the breakdown"

just an FYI, a lot of folks get pretty dressed up, especially if its an evening show. depends a bit on the venue, though.

Personally, I dress up and wear evening gowns, theatre gloves, the whole nine yards, but I have seen people more casually dressed for the opera, nowadays (and I'm talking about serious opera in the Dorothy Chandler Pavillion.) It's probably because Los Angeles has such crazy traffic as sometimes people go on workday nights. On the weekend nights, more people seem more likely to dress up. The dress also seems dictated by where you are sitting. (I am a bit particular about my seating arrangements.)

Nowadays, many opera houses have subtitles, in case you are having issues following the opera. Honestly, though, if you don't speak Italian, you should still understand the story based on the emotion and drama created during the opera.

I am impressed that you are interested in broadening your horizons, Peej. You will be blown away from the grandeur of watching a good opera. Have a beautiful time. :)

I went to an opera once in Tampa, Fla and the best part of it was at the intermission. My lady and I had ridden the "Beast" (my bike) to the theater and were dressed in leathers. At intermission, we were standing against a wall next to a water fountain with me leaning against the fountain. Some guy in a tuxedo walked up and asked if he could get a drink of water. I leaned away from the fountain and in a stage whisper to my lady I said, "Hon, did you know that people wouldn't drink that stuff if they realized that that's the same stuff that fish fuck in?" The guy almost had his lips touching the stream of water and stopped dead. He looked around to see if anyone was watching and slowly backed away without a drink of water, lol.

That was my only experience with opera but I'll never forget it, hehehe.

FFF

"Upon seeing the shadow of a pigeon, one must resist the urge to look up."

never seen it but i've only been to one opera and it was for a chick's birthday present i got her.... i fel alspeep..... it wasn't bad thogh from what i saw... opera is okay in my book.. just not on the top of my list of things to do...

Just an update for everyone that replied to this thread previously.

We did the opera on Saturday night and for want of a better word: WOW!

It was amazing. My date and i sat slack jawed for three hours watching some of the most unbelievable performances i've ever seen. I had goose bumps through most of it and i finally understand why people are so moved by it.

Thanks again for the advice, i can't wait to go to another one.

blues
PJ

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky