tdog

CYPRES 1 Batteries (Was: cypres 2 maintainence price announced at PIA)

They also announced the battery price for the Cypres I has increased to $85 plus shipping.

Mike

My question comes from someone who has not seen the battery up close and personal.....

My motorcycle battery is $55. My car battery is $75. (Both mass produced)... What design features and materials are in a cypres battery to make it so expensive?

The 9V battery in my smoke detector is going on 4 years now, and I just tested it, and it works...

I know, it has to save a life, so it is not your normal duracel - I am not trying to say it shouldn't be special, I am just asking what they did to make it so special it is that expensive???

My motorcycle battery is $55. My car battery is $75. (Both mass produced)... What design features and materials are in a cypres battery to make it so expensive?

A few differences come to mind.
1- lot more motorcycle batteries made and sold. Yuasa in particular is huge in comparison.
2- Your motorcycle battery weighs as much as your rig, I'd guess. Notebook computer batteries cost more too.
3- Yuasa won't be sued for wrongful death if their battery fails to start the bike. Fear of litigation aside, the reliability doesn't have to be nearly as good. Every 9 you add on that 99.9xxx costs money.
4- Storage. It used to be that car/bike batteries were delivered dry, and you or the store would need to fill it before use. I think they still may top off the charge. But the cypres battery goes directly into use. And it never gets recharged by an alternator.
5- and our favorite problem, the crappy dollar exchange rate.

A few differences come to mind.
1- lot more motorcycle batteries made and sold. Yuasa in particular is huge in comparison.
2- Your motorcycle battery weighs as much as your rig, I'd guess. Notebook computer batteries cost more too.
3- Yuasa won't be sued for wrongful death if their battery fails to start the bike. Fear of litigation aside, the reliability doesn't have to be nearly as good. Every 9 you add on that 99.9xxx costs money.
4- Storage. It used to be that car/bike batteries were delivered dry, and you or the store would need to fill it before use. I think they still may top off the charge. But the cypres battery goes directly into use. And it never gets recharged by an alternator.
5- and our favorite problem, the crappy dollar exchange rate.

Ok - so I understand WHY a cypres battery is different.:P I was asking HOW they made it different since it is something buried away that I never see.>:( I read the user manual from cover to cover - no details...

I guess what I am asking - from someone who has had one in their hand - what does it look like, what is it made out of, those sorts of things.

Ok - so I understand WHY a cypres battery is different.:P I was asking HOW they made it different since it is something buried away that I never see.>:( I read the user manual from cover to cover - no details...

Next, you'll ask that for the $1200 Cypres unit itself! As in, what does it have that the Neptune, for example, does not?

Is the battery based on technology from 1992? That too might explain a rising cost.

what they did to make it so special it is that expensive???

They look like 2 conventional C cells, but it has some electronic components wired into the overall circuit, externally mounted, so there is also some extra parts and manual labor involved, probably along with some unique testing.

It is still a bit excessive, I think, but that should help you to understand.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Here are a couple pics. The end view shows what looks like a resistor, it might be a capacitor in the other view, under the dark film.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Whats a Vigil Battery cost?

The battery pack has a life of app. 4 years or 700 jumps. A new one is $125 plus shipping. But, there is no mandated replacement until the unit won't turn on and tells you the battery is low or bad.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

what they did to make it so special it is that expensive???

They look like 2 conventional C cells, but it has some electronic components wired into the overall circuit, externally mounted, so there is also some extra parts and manual labor involved, probably along with some unique testing.

It is still a bit excessive, I think, but that should help you to understand.

C cell is a size, did you check and see what to voltage is?

Sparky

Here are a couple pics. The end view shows what looks like a resistor, it might be a capacitor in the other view, under the dark film.

It's a fuseable link. If you try to install the battery plug backwards it will blow to protect the Cypres. If you blow the link, you have to get another set of batteries.

My rigger explained that one to me after he had one of his less-than-bright customers try to change his own Cypres battery, and fail.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Here's a picture of the Vigil battery. I just swiped it from the website...sorry, that's all I've got in the way of a battery picture.
It will NOT leak.
True, the cost is $125 for a replacement. After 700+ jumps (we've had some last as long as 1000 jumps), you will get a BATLOW signal on the display. You can do a weekend of jumping (about 25 jumps) and then the Vigil needs to get it to your rigger for the battery replacement.

Other info on the battery:
Battery with Pulsesplus element moulded in metal case
LTC for highest energy density
HLC for high pulse current
Patented technology
No leakage possible (sealed battery moulded in epoxy)
Two integrated bronze air filters
Stainless steel closing screw
Positive connector locking system (patented)
NATO Stock Number: (NSN) 6130-13-118-8842

Kim Griffin
Vigil USA, DeLand FL

The voltage on a set we pulled out after it had seen it's last day in a Cypres read something like 2.7 volts.

What to do with the batts once they're pulled out of the Cypres? Refer to my previous thread here about putting two cypress batts and a 4-cell bulb into a two cell Maglite...

Elvisio "Damn that thing is bright" Rodriguez

The voltage on a set we pulled out after it had seen it's last day in a Cypres read something like 2.7 volts.

What to do with the batts once they're pulled out of the Cypres? Refer to my previous thread here about putting two cypress batts and a 4-cell bulb into a two cell Maglite...

Elvisio "Damn that thing is bright" Rodriguez

Cypres batteries are about the size of a "C" cell and a Maglite uses a "D" cell. How did you get them to fit.

Sparky

When a hurricane comes to town, the stores sell out of D-cells... there are still plenty of C-cells...

You can put used cypress batteries (with all the external stuff removed) into any C-cell appliance and have a long life out of them... you could have more than half of the life left in the batteries when you pull it out of the Cypres.

J
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

When a hurricane comes to town, the stores sell out of D-cells... there are still plenty of C-cells...

You can put used cypress batteries (with all the external stuff removed) into any C-cell appliance and have a long life out of them... you could have more than half of the life left in the batteries when you pull it out of the Cypres.

J

JD,

I don't live where there are hurricanes.:P Just earthquakes.:S

TSR, orange jumpsuit, floater on your plane. B|

Sparky