airdvr

Supraventricular tachycardia

For the second time in as many years I was saved by modern medicine. Somehow managed to get myself into SVT, heart rate ~220, BP 80/?. Took a ride in the meat wagon to the ER where they treated me with Adenosine. Hooked me up to the paddles in case things went wrong and basically injected this drug into me that stopped my heart for a second or two, after which it returned to a normal rate.

The best guess is Nicorette gum, 2 cups of coffee, and a hangover. The perfect storm. This getting older shit's not for pussies ;)
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

I love Adenosine - use it often. But a heart rate of 220 is unusually high for SVT. I would recommend cardiology follow up to check for other problems. The nicorette, coffee, dehydration from hangover could definitely all been triggers.

Doc
"We saved your gear. Now you can sell it when you get out of the hospital and upsize!!" "K-Dub"

"

Someone on HERE has got a heart - whoda knowed?

Glad you is O.K ... of course seeing the Bill over there could have caused a relapse:P

No doubt. 7 minutes in an ambulance and I'll bet it's a grand or better. Thanks for the wishes.

Destinations by Roxanne

glad you're ok...

my Wife Nancy had that experience about 4 months ago...

superfast pulse rate. shallow breathing.
i blasted away from a job i was doing and ran her immediately to the ER which was about 4 miles away...

mentioned to the ER entry secy.." i think she's having a cardiac episode" and within a minute she was whisked away and surrounded by a staff of 6 or 7 pros...
I stood there off to the side as they called for adenosine. they explained as they were working ,,,what to expect, ran the shot into the IV and alllll eyes
were glued to the monitor as she, (Finally,) went from 220 + , downward...... dropping to under 100 in about 30 seconds.... Whew!!!

No recurrence, since... when i asked " what should I DO???? if it happens again"... the response was " ask her to try to "bear down"... and Call 911.......
a scarey incident....
God BLESS allll hospital Emergency Room Staff Members!!!! what a job they do !!

jt

I love Adenosine - use it often. But a heart rate of 220 is unusually high for SVT. I would recommend cardiology follow up to check for other problems. The nicorette, coffee, dehydration from hangover could definitely all been triggers.

Doc

longest 3 seconds of your life the first time you slam it in the back of an ambulance though :)
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

Damned glad you got through it OK, man.

Now, a friendly word of advice:
Next time, hold out for Demerol.
It won't help your problem but you won't care.
:D:D:)

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Doc

longest 3 seconds of your life the first time you slam it in the back of an ambulance though :)

3 sec? :P I know the feeling - still remember the first time I pushed it.

Doc

i was like HEY COOL IT WORKED!!! then. . . OH SHIT, its still flat. . . .[beep]. . . . WOOHOO it started again, yaaaay! i didnt kill someone! :D
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

annnnnnd just last night, i ran a 91 year old lady complaining of chest pressure and slight shortness f breath. 12 lead was perfect(at the time the rate was around 100), but sheclimbed to a pulse of 115-160, with intermittent runs of something fast. she wouldnt stay high enough long enough to really justify cardioversion, she was mostly hovering around 130, so i just gave her fluids and took her to the hospital, lol.

i was like HEY COOL IT WORKED!!! then. . . OH SHIT, its still flat. . . .[beep]. . . . WOOHOO it started again, yaaaay! i didnt kill someone! :D

If you think thats scary, just imagine what the poor patient goes through during the conversion pause! :o
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

When i go to give it i dont really explain The mechanics of what im doing. Ill tell them that im giving them a drug to slow their heart rate and hopefully let it return to normal speed. And they will experience a "kicked in the chest feelig" which after its worked is what most people say.

I dont really tell them im fixing to kill them for a few seconds... I dont think itll do much for their anxiety...

Of course AFTER its worked ill tell em exactly what happened.

The ER doc explained exactly what she was planning on doing. I didn't get a 'kicked in the chest' feeling, more like the first hill on a roller coaster. I couldn't see the monitor but I could hear the beeps. Waiting for the beeps to start again was akin to my first cutaway. Takes forever for the reserve to deploy.

Destinations by Roxanne