davjohns

Taking things on the computer the wrong way...

So, I popped into the forums and saw across the top that I had 0 friends....online. But my eye just caught that I had 0 friends. It reminded me of one of the facebook options which asks if I want to show my sex on my profile. I once posted a comment that I don't understand that as an option. I'm pretty sure posting those pictures would be frowned upon.

I also think many of the popup windows on my computer should be re-worded.

"Warning! Error 256834 has occurred in your disk registry" should really say, "Some technical thing went wrong. Don't ask questions. Just re-boot." or perhaps it should be automatic and a window you should tell you, "Something went wrong. I'm going to re-boot. Get yourself a drink while I do."

Does anyone else have these stray thoughts when they see things worded in a way that seems silly or just ambiguous? Probably just me, huh?
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Does anyone else have these stray thoughts when they see things worded in a way that seems silly or just ambiguous? Probably just me, huh?

No, I do it all the time; they're the source of a lot of the dumb one-liners I post here. Judging from the general lack of response, I figure most people's reaction to them is :S. Truth be told, I only post about 1/4 of those that occur to me. Oh, well, at least I crack myself up.

(Plus, we lawyers tend to be pedantic, so it may stem from the same part of our brains that wishes we were everyone's editor.)

I do find myself wishing my computer would tell me exactly what I have to do to resolve whatever stupid pop-up error message shows up... would make my life easier. Thankfully, that doesn't happen too often
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I do find myself wishing my computer would tell me exactly what I have to do to resolve whatever stupid pop-up error message shows up... would make my life easier. Thankfully, that doesn't happen too often

It does..... you just dont speak computer

:ph34r:

nowdays the most of the systems are built up in layers - one on a top of another. By building one layer you never know if someone else is (ever) going to build on a top of it - so you don't know on which level or in which context you have to provide the error message. That is one of the reasons some error messages (written on the lower lever) sometimes get through to the end user.

Now I see. You guys who write those little popups really talk that way. Because if I had written what you just did, it would say, "Those windows aren't really for you. We just program them in for annoyance value".
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

No, I do it all the time; they're the source of a lot of the dumb one-liners I post here. Judging from the general lack of response, I figure most people's reaction to them is :S. Truth be told, I only post about 1/4 of those that occur to me. Oh, well, at least I crack myself up.

(Plus, we lawyers tend to be pedantic, so it may stem from the same part of our brains that wishes we were everyone's editor.)

I'm with you on that one, but the majority of the time my one liner references an obscure movie quote or an obscure book reference. I get it, not everyone reads the volume of zombie books I do or has seen The Boondock Saints as many times as I have.:D
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

It does..... you just dont speak computer

:ph34r:

:D Wouldn't it be hilarious if you could program a computer to word certain error messages differently? Like having a pop-up message show up with a pic of Spence pointing at you saying "your computer is screwed because you're a stupid fucker" :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

:D Wouldn't it be hilarious if you could program a computer to word certain error messages differently?

It was done long ago for the HP-48 calculator.
http://www.hpcalc.org/details.php?id=5039
I was in college when they guy released the program with no explanation.
My buddy installed it, and couldn't tell what it was supposed to do.
After forgetting about it, he made a divide-by-zero mistake.
The error message: "Oh wow, that was a really big number!"
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.