udder

Rigging apprentices?

Howdy all

I would like to eventually work my to becoming a rigger. Would you take on an apprentice? And would charge for your time training/supervising? And what sort of experiance level do you consider appropriate? Would you consider taking on someone if they said they would continue to work for you for a set period of time at an agreed rate?
"In one way or the other, I'm a bad brother. Word to the motherf**ker." Eazy-E

Would you take on an apprentice?
Yes I would and do.

would charge for your time training/supervising?
Yes I would, my time is worth the money.

what sort of experiance level do you consider appropriate.
A willingness to learn and do things the right way without cutting corners and they wouldn't even need to be a jumper.

Would you consider taking on someone if they said they would continue to work for you for a set period of time at an agreed rate?

That is S.O.P. and just part of the deal for me to put in the time to train them.

~
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

I've worked with two people to get their Rigger Cert. The first one was enthusiastic and did real good. The other, tried to 'teach' me and cut-corners! After about three sessions where, he brought his family and 'burgers' to my shop, like it was a 'party'! I ended the 'session' and told him that he needed to go home and 'think' about how bad he wanted to be a rigger! He thought I was being a 'hard-ass'! He never did persue rigging. I didn't charge for either 'student'. Anyone asks me now, about 'apprenticeships' I quote an up-front price!
When I was working on my Senior Cert., I stayed at my instructor's home and slept on a mattress on the floor, in his sewing room. It was quite an experience!:D

Chuck

Would you consider taking on someone if they said they would continue to work for you for a set period of time at an agreed rate?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I tried that once.
The guy earned the license, but skipped town before fulfilling his promise to repack "X" number of reserves.
He was merely the first in a series of rigger apprentices who "burned" me by trying to convince me to train them for free.
A second apprentice devoted more energy to excuses than sewing,
Another guy was brilliant at sewing and packing, but he smoked to much dope to concentrate on the written exam.
While another became arrogant enough to modify tandem student harnesses (before writing the FAA Senior Rigger exam).
I tore up his letter of recommendation!

None of the people that I trained for free ever earned their licenses. Since apprentices do not take free training seriously, it is a waste of my time.
So my $500 fee is more for screening than for profit.

I need to find a rigger somewhere to supervise my packing twenty reserves. I have a riggers license (chest pack rating) from a long time ago. I'm just wondering how much I should expect to pay someone, or what I should offer them. I don't want to impose on friends, and I want to pay someone fairly. Any ideas on how to approach this situation. I've asked a few people and they keep referring me to someone else.

I don't really plan to do much rigging for others, but I would really like to be able to pack my own reserve again....Steve1

So my $500 fee is more for screening than for profit.

Hey Rob, what can I expect from a deal like this? You have my curiousity. I've always expressed interest in learning more about my gear, but perhaps if I back it up by some money, we can setup something more structured. Waddayasay?

PM or reply here.

Cheers,

Jaap

Maybe Rob wants to learn more about geometric algebra?

LOL, I'm guessing that you're just referring to my website. I'd be surprised if there was a fellow dutchman who would skydive as well as know geometric algebra :)
Hoest daar in Holland? Hopelijk is het weer daar beter. Hier regent het al 3 weken aan een stuk... :(.

Jaap,
I was always pretty good at geometry, but still need to improve my algebraic skills.
As for improving your rigging knowledge ...
Kat has asked me to assist with several "safety evenings" she is organizing, so I will dust off my CSPA "Know Your Gear" lectures.
The next step is packing 10 reserves under supervision and the final step is attending a CSPA Rigger A Course.
Normally a Rigger A Course lasts a week and I am hoping to collect enough candidates to run one in Pitt Meadows in the spring.

Unless you got your chest rating long before you started skydiving 8 years ago, I can't figure out how your chest could have been that long ago.;) Mine was in 1985 and that's fairly recent.B|

The problem is that packing a ramair reserve is NOT like packing a chest round. And much more will be involved than simple supervision by the rigger. A whole lot of teaching will be required. They have to be able to say that you know everything neccessary to rig backs, whether rounds or squares.

I've helped two people get ready for rigger courses. Both got 10 -12 pack jobs with me as well as a whole lot of knowledge. I didn't charge but should have. Both supposedly were going to leave the area. One was my competition for 6 or 7 years and one has basically taken most of my business because he lives at the DZ.

People have asked me to train them since and I've refused. One I don't have enough time to get done what I need to get done. Two, if I charge what I think it's worth it would be more than they would think fair. I figure I make about $15 an hour on my rigging. Sometimes more, sometimes less depending on the rig. So is this something you'd be willing to pay? I don't know. Sounds like a lot. Considering each pack job will be at least an hour, more like 4 to start with.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Unless you got your chest rating long before you started skydiving 8 years ago, I can't figure out how your chest could have been that long ago.;) Mine was in 1985 and that's fairly recent.B|
reply]

Actually I started jumping about thirty years ago and got my chest rating then. Yes, I was out of the sport for a long time. I'm just curious about what would be involved and that sort of thing. I talked to one master rigger who said that I would need a senior rigger to supervise 20 pack jobs and then he could test my abilities. Thanks for the input.....Steve1

Only a DPRE (Designted Parachute Rigger Examiner) can test you for adding a type to your certificate. Not any master rigger. There are only about 40 some DPRE's in the Country. Now this Master Rigger you talked to may have been a DPRE. And the Master Rigger can supervise too.

I see your in Montana. Actually there are a lot of DPRE's in Montana but mostly associated with the Forest Service. PM me if interested and I can give you a contact in Missoula.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Terry,
Thanks for the info. The Master Rigger I mentioned is Fred Sands at Lost Prairie. I think he has the rating you mentioned. I know I need to learn an awful lot, and have forgotten a great deal more. Maybe I'd be smart to just take a complete course again. I'm just trying to figure out a way to legally pack my own reserve . I live in a really remote area and it's a real pain to even find another rigger to get that job done. And yes, I'm sure it is a lot more involved than the old chest packs I used to pack for $5.00 each back in the olden days.....Steve1

]

Terry,
Thanks for the info. The Master Rigger I mentioned is Fred Sands at Lost Prairie. I think he has the rating you mentioned. I know I need to learn an awful lot, and have forgotten a great deal more. Maybe I'd be smart to just take a complete course again. I'm just trying to figure out a way to legally pack my own reserve . I live in a really remote area and it's a real pain to even find another rigger to get that job done. And yes, I'm sure it is a lot more involved than the old chest packs I used to pack for $5.00 each back in the olden days.....Steve1

Steve

Fred is a DPRE and is an excellent, knowledgeable resource. Another resource in your area are the smoke jumpers. Are there any in your area that are sport jumpers? I realize they tend to get busy at certain times of the year but at other times may be willing to assist a willing apprentice. Most, if not all are riggers.

The sport/smoke jumpers in the Boise area have been invaluable to my learning over the years.

Rob

PS. Terry, the Symposium was great, I learned and relearned alot.

Steve

Fred is a DPRE and is an excellent, knowledgeable resource. Another resource in your area are the smoke jumpers. Are there any in your area that are sport jumpers? I realize they tend to get busy at certain times of the year but at other times may be willing to assist a willing apprentice. Most, if not all are riggers.

The sport/smoke jumpers in the Boise area have been invaluable to my learning over the years.

Rob

PS. Terry, the Symposium was great, I learned and relearned alot.

Terry,
Fred and I learned to pack chest pack reserves in the same class (back in about 74). We were taught by an old Master Rigger, Smoke Jumper, Jack Nash. Jack went to the great drop zone in the sky many years ago. He was one of the jumpmasters (squad leader) that dropped the jumpers on the Mann Gulch Fire. They made a movie out of that in about 1953. He claimed to be the oldest smoke jumper ever trained. Whether or not that is true, I don't know, but he was quite a character in his day.

I know an ex-sport jumper turned smoke jumper in Missoula. (Mark Wright). I know he was a rigger. I'll have to get in touch with him. Thanks, .....Steve1