mdrejhon

My New Logo Canopy! (RainbowSkydivers Logo)

Triathlon
AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Eh I'm ok with it!
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

I can tell you from personal experience that the cost of such logo work can be more than the cost of the canopy you are putting it on. . I've seen the process first-hand at the PD factory; it's incredibly intricate work.

Chuck

In this case, resale value keeps coming to mind. :S

Does anyone else find it funny that we made a SPORT out of an EMERGENCY PROCEDURE?!?!

Hello all,

This is my new logo canopy, being ordered for this summer, on time for the next Rainbow Boogie at Skydive Chicago.

It's a Pilot 140, which I've demoed too many times already without buying.

That's gay.

:D:P

Seriously, looks good, even if it is a Pilot.;)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I can tell you from personal experience that the cost of such logo work can be more than the cost of the canopy you are putting it on. . I've seen the process first-hand at the PD factory; it's incredibly intricate work.

Chuck

So if I cover the canopy in this, it probably won't resell well? :D:D:D (work safe)
http://dribbble.com/system/users/79654/screenshots/408263/fish.jpg?1328112647

In this case, resale value keeps coming to mind. :S

Rainbow Skydivers Facebook group has over 300 members, we have some 'gay' gear that exchanges hands at what seems normal prices. But I don't anticipate ever selling...

I hate to break this to you, but that logo is going to be on the inside of the canopy. I hope your deposit is refundable.

LOL -- but that is a photoshopped screen shot, because the canopy editor doesn't accomodate artwork. Obviously, it'll be sewn on the bottom.

I can tell you from personal experience that the cost of such logo work can be more than the cost of the canopy you are putting it on.

We are working on reducing the cost; keep tuned. There are several simplifications being considered. That said I'll attach template images (attached below).

Geometry can be simplified. The Earth can be made of fewer zigzag lines, and possibly (theoretically) just a green overlay on top of circular blue fabric, so that the blue fabric does not have to be cut. Land would look dark (a very dark blue-green) but that would be acceptable, if it saved a lot of money. The whites in the skydivers are just holes in fabric, showing white canopy through. Such simplifications will dramatically decrease cost and man-hours by the fabric people.

These separations are not in the correct/final format, but you get the idea. Still waiting to hear back of the separations they need me to send. I may have to create 6 images of the 12 skydivers for the color components, because of the 'stretch' that is needed along between the cells. If the design cannot be done, then it might even be switched to monochrome (I have a monochrome version of the logo too, but it loses a lot of the effect.)

Monochrome would just be wrong for "RAINBOW" skydivers. Hope you can work it out.

Is there no way to do this in a printing process?? The large format printers we have now use a latex based ink instead of solvent based. Ours are not set up to print on material but I wonder if that could be an option??
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

Monochrome would just be wrong for "RAINBOW" skydivers. Hope you can work it out.

Agreed, agreed.

Is there no way to do this in a printing process?? The large format printers we have now use a latex based ink instead of solvent based. Ours are not set up to print on material but I wonder if that could be an option??

I'm told it's been done before, but that normal printing crumbles off throughout many packjobs, so some new strongly embedded printing method is needed, such as dye-sublimation, which hasn't been perfected at the moment on nylon canopy fabric, as far as I know.

Ask Aerodyne. They're looking for ideas. As long as it's tested / already proven safe to be used on canopies.

One idea (that also presumably increases safety, in the light of fabric degradation risk) is to print on separate appropriate white fabric, then sew the appropriate fabric to the canopy. Or create the fabric off-canopy before sewing it on.

Icarcus (SkyArt) has some special software that distorts image files to add the geometric stretch areas for the seams between cells, so that it doesn't look distorted when sewed on. I'm not sure if Aerodyne has this software, so it might be more difficult for them. We'll see...

There are obviously many options that can be done for this design. The money hasn't changed hands yet, simplifications are still being brainstormed before a final price can be nailed down.

you are gonna get nailed on the sewing on that thing:)
The earth might have to be black (continent)on blue as LTgreen will probably show up as blue or black anyways.

let me know how it turns out. I work closely with NZ to make some cool canopies. heres mine

They have fabric colors for all the rainbow, the problem is possibly the complexity of it all. I wouldn't mind hearing back from the factory why the design is difficult/impossible, so keep tuned.

One idea:
1. Focus on the black template.
2. Create 12 color wedges (2 of each 6 color, rectangle shaped, not skydiver shaped)
3. Sew the wedges to the edges of outer black circle template
4. Sew the inner black circle template. Now you've got solid colored skydivers.
5. Finally, cut the wholes for the whites.
6. Sew solid blue circle piece (or solid green circle).
7. Sew the dark green land (or blue sea, if solid circle) on top of the fabric.

There might be other simplification ideas, that allows the rainbow logo. Printing is still an option, if there's a way to make it reasonably durable and safe. I don't mind it being one or two sizes bigger, if necessary.

What if you had a medium sized flag made and you flew the flag at boogies and special events? Get with a demo jumper to learn how to safely rig and jump with it and go have fun.

Significantly cheaper than a logo'ed canopy!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Each layer is going to either result in more bulk or needing to actually cut the negative space out and sew the layers together. Most canopies are at most 2 layers thick at the logos, needing to do more layers adds to the cost and the volume. The skydivers alone needing to be 3 colors (color, black, white) are a substantial project alone let alone the rest of the aspects. It might be easier to reduce the complexity and just have a single color going to each jumper and lose all the details.

Have you found out the estimate on the larger pack volume? I have jumped a canopy with a full bottom skin logo that packs a full size and a half larger than a non-logo canopy. It would suck to get a 140 canopy and have it pack closer to a 190 and need to get a new container to fit that much larger canopy.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

meh.. the pack volume should be workable assuming you have a medium fit container for your canopie.
They should be able to cut out the black circle of jumpers and sew a solid color behind the jumper, red yellow etc. But that is a shitload of stitching.
You must also know, the more layers of stuff sewn onto a canopy can change its flight characteristics.