dzdummie

Closing Pin Necklace?

it pretty much just means that you skydive.

The closing pin is a part of the hardware... it's attached to the bridle, goes through the closing loop and holds the container shut. when you pull, the pilot chute catches air, puts tension on the bridle, and pulls the pin, opening the container and allowing deployment to take place.

Welcome to skydiving! I hope you have a long and happy career at it. :)
Nightingale did a great job explaining the closing pin's function!

If you're interested, I make closing loop necklaces as a kind of hobby. Mine are made out of 550 paracord. I wear one all the time. Like Nightingale said, they're kind of a "in" sign to other skydivers that you skydive.

I'll PM you with a small picture of one and if you like it, I could arrange to send you one. We'll deal by PM, 'kay?

-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

there are stories that i have heard in regard to the closing pin necklace. one is when a guy was traveling through Germany and had a layover in the german trainstation. someone noticed his necklace and put him up in his house for a few days. it really just is to mark you as a skydiver.

i have looked around for which necklace i want and nightingale is actually someone who makes her own. after some research i have found a bunch of sites and i think that it would mean more to me to make my own. :D

This is far too un-argumentative to be in speaker's corner. I'm moving it to the Bonfire.

we could argue about the political ramifications of a right facing tail versus a left facing tail... :ph34r: i've been told it doesn't mean anything, but is that the truth, or is there a conspiracy afoot here? [unsure]
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

This is far too un-argumentative to be in speaker's corner. I'm moving it to the Bonfire.

LMAO

Now THAT is FUNNY!

we could argue about the political ramifications of a right facing tail versus a left facing tail... i've been told it doesn't mean anything, but is that the truth, or is there a conspiracy afoot here?

Perhaps it is more along the lines of the hidden agenda of the left wing. They try to cause confusion among the special interest groups such as we are. Next thing you know, it will be Bush's fault the next time someone has a mal.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I wear one and have only ever been recognised by other Skydivers once. Unfortunatly I was well and truely hammered on a couple of bottles of wine when I met a couple of Tontos buddys here in London. :$
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Didn't the closing pin get shown to you in your first jump class? In AFF1, they show you how the equipment works....in my class, they opened up a rig and explained all the parts.

Further, in that first class, we were taught to check our gear before putting it on, including the 'PIN CHECK'....

marc

we could argue about the political ramifications of a right facing tail versus a left facing tail... :ph34r: i've been told it doesn't mean anything, but is that the truth, or is there a conspiracy afoot here? [unsure]

No conspiracy...it faces the hand that you masterbate with. :D:D:D:D

TripleF

"Upon seeing the shadow of a pigeon, one must resist the urge to look up."

Didn't the closing pin get shown to you in your first jump class? In AFF1, they show you how the equipment works....in my class, they opened up a rig and explained all the parts.

In our AFF classes we show them the ripcord, because that's what they have on their rig, not a closing pin. What did you have? Ya know, you could wear a ripcord around your neck. That would probably start a few conversations.;)

A lot of people have had necklaces made, or made their own, with a pin removed from a rig they've actually jumped. I thought that was a cool idea.

I do like that idea! It's just that I haven't ever had my pin taken off my rig. It's still "original."

The pins I use for my necklaces are genuine throwout pins ordered from Paragear. Actually, it's time for me to order more -- I'm down to my last few! :o

Blue skies,
-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

we could argue about the political ramifications of a right facing tail versus a left facing tail... i've

Or move it to S&T and discuss the snag possibilities, and why you shouldn't jump with them.

Or maybe leave it here and let everyone argue about how he shouldn't get one because he's not a 'real skydiver' or some such BS like that.

Or good stories about "... what's the on your necklace?" questions you get from them. I just tell people it stands for 'closure' :D
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

I was told that it was bad luck to buy one for yourself. I was given mine and my thought was that someone cares for me and wants me to 'keep it all together'.

I can't find mine. I ripped it off one night cause the cord was hot around my neckand I just flung it somewhere. So much for keeping it together. I still won't buy another for myself.
~~April

Camelot II, the Electric Boogaloo!