DrewEckhardt

Vacuum for deep pile carpet?

My wife and I upgraded to deep pile carpet which I measured at an inch deep. It's awesome, like walking on a sandy beach or Tempurpedic bed. I've slept on beds that were less comfortable.

Our dilemma now is taking care of it. The back side of the sample is marked "use suction only" implying that we shouldn't be using a vacuum which relies on a brush, although the carpet store won't tell us what sort of vacuum sucks enough (or whether the suction only is just a way for them to weasel out of the warranty).

Does any one have relevant first-hand experience with such a carpet and vacuum recommendation to go with it?

Our cat is black, our carpet is light, and we need to figure something out before the carpet becomes cat-colored.

Our cat is black, our carpet is light, and we need to figure something out before the carpet becomes cat-colored.

Well, obviously you need to replace the cat with a carpet-colored one now.:|
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Sounds like a nice carpet.

I've a couple of thoughts here at first read.

Just because the sample said to use suction only, doesn't mean the carpet is recommended to be cleaned that way. It may mean that the sample is small enough that it (and its edges) shouldn't be subjected to the agitation of a beater bar. Contact the manufacturer to be certain how to clean the wall-to-wall version.

Good luck whatever the answer is, because opposite-colored hair on a carpet is a pain no matter the preferred cleaning method :P

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Good quality higher end Vacuum cleaner, Dyson, Electrolux etc..

Try to avoid wearing boots and shoes where possible,

and you might want to buy a carpet, comb/brush, to lift the pile when it get flattened.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Well, obviously you need to replace the cat with a carpet-colored one now.:|
Or upgrade it to a catcopter
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I've got a Dyson, and have just this evening tried out a Kirby vacuum.

I'm kind of a clean freak, and I'm honestly horrified at the amount of crud it pulled out of the carpet straight after doing a run with the Dyson. I can post some pics if you want... :S

Having said that, they're seriously expensive bits of kit. They're $3500 new which is OTT for me. I think they're worth about $1500 - it looks like they do that much of a good job.
They offered me a fantastic deal at $1400, although I couldn't take them up on it - you might be able to get them down to that. Maybe ask them for a trial for your carpet?

I'm now really not impressed by my Dyson. Don't spend silly money on one of those. I think a regular vacuum will do pretty much a similar job to be honest.

Second the comment about the Kirby - expensive because they are ONLY sold new by door to door, (think commission for the rep!) but you can probably pick up a good second hand one in your local classifieds. Also, you can disconnect the brush if needed (if you buy second hand, get it serviced and ask the technician for a demo on how to use it!) - also, they do a "dry" shampoo which is pretty amazing.

Any vacuum can pull up lots of crud after any other vacuum. I tried to sell Kirbys door-to-door one summer (well, one week of one summer) in college.

They're not a scam, but they're seriously overpriced. They do, however, last forever.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)