3mpire

DONATE BLOOD!

I donated blood today, did you?

If you have never thought about doing it, you might want to give it a try. It is very easy, and each donation can help save up to three lives.

I have a seven week old baby at home, and the only reason he is here is because of blood donors. it's an amazing gift you can give!

plus, it can't hurt from a karma perspective. if god forbid any of us pound in and need transfusions to survive, it will be because of a donor.

so pay it forward! get motivated! :)

I'm on a year-long break because I traveled into a malaria zone in March. But I am a regular donor when they'll let me. :)

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Even if you can't donate blood (I had hepatitis when I was 11), you might still be able to register as a bone marrow donor.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Very true. I also try to encourage people to sign up for to be a bone marrow donor, although it is a bigger commitment. Most people still think that the bone marrow is aspirated out of the hip. Although that still happens, it is quite rare. It is now a simple procedure that can be done peripherally.

I encourage anybody who is interested to check out:

http://marrow.org/Home.aspx

Ahhh...I went to this page and saw that age could be a disqualifier for me. Do you get many people of the older generation?
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I actually don't know anything about the donors. There are laws in place to protect their privacy. In fact the donor and the recipient are not allowed to communicate for one year after the transplant. That is of course if it's an unrelated donor. We also do lots of related donor transplants. Last night I did a transplant on a 73 year old with donated cells from her twin sister! Yes, that is a rare situation.

The younger the donor the better. The engraftment period is sooner, less infections, and less incidence of GVHD. However, there are tons of people looking for matched donors. It's much better to have an older donor than not one at all, as it is likely their last chance and only option.

ETA: The donor and recipient are allowed to write letters anonymously during the first year. After that, they can both sign forms and be allowed to contact one another.

Thank you everyone who donates! When my partner gets transfusions we always joke that we hope it's some young blood.

Getting on a bone marrow registry is great, too, because sometimes when you have a blood disorder that requires frequent transfusions a bone marrow transplant can be the only option.

I'm happy to see that others also give, and for any of you lurkers out there reading this thread, join the party and fill some bags!

If you can't donate because of health reasons, that's nothing to be ashamed of. You can help in other ways, like volunteering for the blood bank or helping to spread the word.

we all can do our part, and families like mine are able to have happy babies at home as a result.

...but so far nobody wants my marrow.:)

Not even for soup? :o

Not even then. [:/]

Actually on Monday I almost got booted out of the Bloodmobile for not having enough iron, but they ran a second test and I squeaked through.
My blog with the skydiving duck cartoons.

I do, every eight weeks.

When my daughter was six months old she was diagnosed with leukemia. She's 22 now.

I figure I owe the world a few pints.

Keith

''Always do sober what you said you would do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.'' - Ernest Hemingway

From the BPA's MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS TO PARACHUTE:

2.5. Blood Donors.

Sport parachutists are advised that parachuting and giving blood are not compatible. Whilst the quantity of blood is quickly replaced after donation, the necessary oxygen retaining qualities required at altitude are not.
Spank the

I give regularly as well. The last two times was a 'double red cell' donation. This way I can go 16 weeks instead of 8 between donations. They remove a pint and pull off the red cells. Pump the other stuff back in and then draw another pint and repeat.
I'm an 'O' neg / universal donor so if I miss, they start calling.

Started donating at 18 and last year made my 50th donation (In the UK donations are every 6 months except when the blood banks are low and they start calling donors in for extra sessions). I'm also on the bone marrow register and carry an organ donor card.
Atheism is a Non-Prophet Organisation

The younger the donor the better. The engraftment period is sooner, less infections, and less incidence of GVHD. However, there are tons of people looking for matched donors. It's much better to have an older donor than not one at all, as it is likely their last chance and only option.

Good point, I will sign up! I was compelled to look into it because Robin Roberts of Good Morning America needs a transplant and the show has been running stories about it. Lucky for her, her sister is a match. B|
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I'm a regular apherisis donor. *points down to sig line*

Also over 3 gallons of regular blood dotations since I started in high school. Was on the blood drive committee there and college as well.

Can't donate for a while since I was at the Nicaragua boogie.

I just got a call from the donor center and as soon as I picked up, the scheduler said "ooops, looks like you are deffered, sorry about this call". I would get a call every 14 days reminding me about my appointment. It was funny because their number is blocked, but I recognized her voice immediately.

It takes a bit more time to donate platelets verses whole blood, but it is worth it since a certain group of women are disqualified, we men can step up and carry some of that load. I had to laugh because when my test results came back on my platelet count and the numbers were real high, the scheduler said "Baby, you won't be donating blood anymore and you are all mine". Let's just say she is a bit possesive of her regular donors.

Even if you only donate once a year, it will make a huge difference if everyone would join in.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity