Nataly

How do you discourage a one-way love-interest?

Nearly a year ago I met someone I went on a couple of dates with. I eventually communicated very clearly to him that we were incompatible even as friends, and that I did not intend to stay in touch with him.

At first he called/emailed. I answered some of these with polite discouragement. Then I was less polite. Then I stopped answering. He had stopped writing but this evening he called. I didn't recognise the number so I answered. I suppose I could have just hung up, but I find it hard to be quite so harsh. I thus spent about 20 minutes repeating that there was nothing between us, that there would never be, that I am happily in a relationship and even if I wasn't I would not entertain the notion of going out with him, blah, blah. (Yes, I could have been more brief.)

I'm not sure how I could get the message across more effectively??? Open to suggestions (even if they are not entirely serious - comic relief is always appreciated :)
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

I voted the for the "direct but polite" option. I just had to deal with this myself. Not fun hearing someone repeatedly tell me how many women like them/hit on them/come out of the bathroom naked for them/etc. Quite disturbing and reeked of desperation, IMHO.

Believe me, if the attraction is mutual, they'll know it. ;)

Good luck!! :)

Always be kinder than you feel.

Well, it just felt good to hear your voice again.[:/]

Reckon if you ever met me in person, the fantasy would not correspond to reality... Which is why we should NEVER meet!!! :D:D:P
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Reckon if you ever met me in person, the fantasy would not correspond to reality... Which is why we should NEVER meet!!! :D:D:P

I'm Merkun;
We *all* go cuckoo over a French accent.:P
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Ok REAL ANSWER?

restraining order.

Tell them "look, I tried to be honest with you. I told you we are not compatible. I told you I am not interested in being friends. You've disregarded this and now, you're starting to scare me. If you contact me again I will file a harassment charge and issue a restraining order."

'twardo,
She needs her space, man. leave her alone for a while:D

My photos

My Videos

I'm Merkun;

My wife speaks fluent French having lived there for years and flyin' into Paris every month.

When she speaks to ME in French...I gotta funny feelin' I don't really wanna KNOW what she's sayin'!!

B|>:(:D;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I'm Merkun;

I am sorry to inform you that I don't have a French accent. Not even when I speak French!! :D (Remi can confirm!)
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

I am sorry to inform you that I don't have a French accent. Not even when I speak French!! :D (Remi can confirm!)

Another fantasy shot to hell.[:/]
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Another fantasy shot to hell.[:/]

Au contraire... A fantasy by definition is not real... So you are free to imagine me any way you like :ph34r::ph34r:

Just don't confuse it with "reality" :P
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

I know boobies are a required choice in these polls, but they rarely help to discourage a one-way love interest.:$:P

:D:D:D:D:D
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Ok REAL ANSWER?

restraining order.

Nothin says "I love you" quite like an order to cease and desist. ;)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

The best thing is to completely ignore the person and remove all contact. For desperate people even negative contact is still a form of connection and they will take any kindness or gentleness as a positive sign.

There is a fair bit of evidence that restraining orders can just up the level and take things in a dangerous direction.

So my take is don't answer emails, phone calls AT ALL. After a month or two he'll find someone else to obsess over.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

The best thing is to completely ignore the person and remove all contact

+1

It is like getting a phone call indicating you just won a free vacation to the bahamas. Just say two words: "Not interested" and hang up.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.