billvon

Encouraged by Total Recall . . .

. . . because in one scene the hero, while floating in zero-G, fires his weapon at the bad guys . . . and is driven backwards across the room by the reaction. He then fires downward to push himself up to the ceiling. It's a small thing but makes me a little bit more hopeful for the understanding of science in the US.

So you're saying that if I took my .357 to the wind tunnel, it would help me get my fat ass up off the net ?

At the very least, it would end those disparaging comments about my flying ability.

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

Haven't seen it, but I'm guessing it's an energy-based weapon (Sci-Fi)? In which case, there is no recoil?

Maybe you're hoping that future generations will know better than to fire at the hull of the life-sustaining space ship that they are in? :P

Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Maybe you're hoping that future generations will know better than to fire at the hull of the life-sustaining space ship that they are in? :P

Hey, Ryan, be careful what you shoot at. Most things in here don't react too well to bullets.

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

>Haven't seen it, but I'm guessing it's an energy-based weapon . . .

Didn't look like it, and it made holes in people (and you ran out after about a dozen shots) but who knows?

>Maybe you're hoping that future generations will know better than to fire at the hull of
>the life-sustaining space ship that they are in?

This was basically a big subway car free-falling through the earth, so it was possible (although unlikely) that there was air outside the car.

. . . because in one scene the hero, while floating in zero-G, fires his weapon at the bad guys . . . and is driven backwards across the room by the reaction. He then fires downward to push himself up to the ceiling. It's a small thing but makes me a little bit more hopeful for the understanding of science in the US.

Although I'm no PHD, scientific literacy is highly ranked in our family. B|

We know why people float in orbit.

Yeah, Yeah...whatever floats your shuttle.
:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

They only give the appearance of floating, really they're hurtling.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>Haven't seen it, but I'm guessing it's an energy-based weapon . . .

Didn't look like it, and it made holes in people (and you ran out after about a dozen shots) but who knows?

>Maybe you're hoping that future generations will know better than to fire at the hull of
>the life-sustaining space ship that they are in?

This was basically a big subway car free-falling through the earth, so it was possible (although unlikely) that there was air outside the car.

If you look closely... there are expended brass cases floating about....

For the UBER GEEKS http://blog.wolframalpha.com/2012/08/13/the-science-of-total-recall/

On another note... did you just start a gun thread here???? :ph34r::ph34r:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiation_pressure

Oh c'mon, really? You'd need a solar sail and a month to capture the recoil from that.

I guess I should have said "really, really small recoil." :D Kinda like how they don't float backward in a straight line, but in a low-amplitude wave with a really long period.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD