cvfd1399

Dolphin rig? Is it owrth it

Dolphin container, 230 performance design main chute, wich was relined in 2002, 150jumps since relined, new cypress in 2000 with new battery installed in 2002, and has a 222 raven II reserve chute. 1,200. I am not familar with dolphins, but I ran across this rig, it seems like a good deal how FF friendly are they, and if the re not how hard is it to get the mods to FF it? They cypress alone seems like a good deal with the rig.

Well, since the Cypres is from 2000 you are do for a 4 year m,aintence some time in 2004. That will be 160(+shipping) plus 79 for the new battery. On the Cypres Calc its only worth about $690 for the Cypres.

At your loading on a F111 main that has enough jumps it needed a reline is not a good idea. 1.33 on a PD230 is loading it quite high. If the canopy needed a reline its probally got 400 jumps on it at that point. 550+ now on a canopy is starting to get to the point where the poresity might be starting to increase.

The Dolphin really is'nt freefly friendly unless you send it in for the tuck tab mod. I think thatsabout $75-100.

Look up the max loading on the Raven2, it might be 254 lbs.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I have jumped both and would go with the wings.

It may be a bit more expensive but it sounds "newer" and could last longer if it is.

Maybe you could get to a few of the boogies around that have demo rigs and try out the various ones on the market.

I personnally jump a wings and thus a bit partial.:)
Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Or if a very cheap rig is needed, I'd recommend the Genera, not a bad rig at all, better then the Dolphin and in the same price range.

Bill, what happened, you get hooked up with the Aerodyne instructor's program? You've been pushing their gear pretty hard lately.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

>Bill, what happened, you get hooked up with the Aerodyne
>instructor's program? You've been pushing their gear pretty hard lately.

Yep! Did that about a year ago. I like the Icon because it's a solidly built rig, nicer than a Dolphin but cheaper (and more available) than something like a Mirage. It's a good first rig for someone buying new. That may change as they get more popular. I used to recommend the Reflex but they don't make them any more. Racer is still the best choice (I think) for small hard-to-fit women, at least if you're not a rigger too.

I am gonna hold out for wings. I was trying to get used, but that is like shopping for a pre made body cast to fit you. Ooh well

You could get a new container fit for you and a used canopy that's in better shape than the one you just saw on offer.

I keep bringing this sort of thing up because I regret buying my Hornet 190 new when I got my rig. A hundred, maybe 150 jumps and I wanted a different style and size. I could have bought a Hornet with 500 jumps on it, put another hundred on it, and have an easier time selling it for less of a loss. Live and learn, I say.

But, then, finding canopies you like in certain sizes can be tough.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

So, since you are a sponsered jumper, your opinions are slanted.

I really have a hard time listening to any sponsered jumper about their gear choices. Its like asking a Catholic Priest which religion will get you to heaven, they're not gonna say go be a Mormon.

Not trying to say its not a great rig with many qualities, but I think that coming from you, a sponsered jumper, the opinion posted now has less value.

Better ignore almost all the Greenies, all the manufactors, a lot of the swoopers, most DZO's (since they get a discount too on bulk gear) opinions on gear choices then

Its one thing to say "I'm a gear dealer" or "I'm sponsered by X" or "I'm BillBooth of the uninsured RWS" etc then talk about the gear, its another to not say anything and push the gear you're sponsered by.

See what I'm saying?

>So, since you are a sponsered jumper, your opinions are slanted.

I tend to jump what I like, and I tend to get good deals on gear. I've been 'sponsored' by Fliteline, Gravity Gear, Aerodyne, Hiper, Bodysport, Airtec etc in that I get really good deals on gear from them for one reason or another. I didn't get a really good deal on a Velocity because I don't like them and thus I didn't try to buy one. But if swooping is your #1 thing it might just be the canopy for you.

My opinions are my own, and aren't indicative of what any company 'wants' me to say. (Indeed, if they tried to tell me what my opinon has to be about their gear, my opinion of them would go down immensely.) If you don't believe that, that's fine - I'm sure you can make your own decisions on gear.

Of course, you make a chunk of your living from skydiving and I don't, so you're at risk for telling people things that make you more money. Still, I suspect you're not the type of person that tells people that tandem is 100% perfectly safe - even though at first glance one might decide your opinions were slanted by your financial stake in saying such things, and thus your opinions on student training were less informed than someone who does not depend on the money.

>So, since you are a sponsered jumper, your opinions are slanted.

I tend to jump what I like, and I tend to get good deals on gear. I've been 'sponsored' by Fliteline, Gravity Gear, Aerodyne, Hiper, Bodysport, Airtec etc in that I get really good deals on gear from them for one reason or another. I didn't get a really good deal on a Velocity because I don't like them and thus I didn't try to buy one. But if swooping is your #1 thing it might just be the canopy for you.

My opinions are my own, and aren't indicative of what any company 'wants' me to say. (Indeed, if they tried to tell me what my opinon has to be about their gear, my opinion of them would go down immensely.) If you don't believe that, that's fine - I'm sure you can make your own decisions on gear.

Of course, you make a chunk of your living from skydiving and I don't, so you're at risk for telling people things that make you more money. Still, I suspect you're not the type of person that tells people that tandem is 100% perfectly safe - even though at first glance one might decide your opinions were slanted by your financial stake in saying such things, and thus your opinions on student training were less informed than someone who does not depend on the money.

Boom Boom:D:D:D

None of the rigs I have seen in my short time in the sport are bad rigs. the older rigs may not be FF friendly, but virtually anything made in the last 10 years is like comparing Coke & Pepsi, or Ford & GMH.
It's a matter os personal preference.
just my $0,02AUD (aprox$0.015USD):P
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Sure Bill, however, I still feel like people that are sponsered should preface their opinions with "I am sponsered by XXX" so people can make their own choice as to the overall value they want to lend to your opinion.

You know that I hold your opinion in a high regard, this isn't a you thing, its an overall trend that's been a problem on DZ.com for a while with a good handful of people, some of them not as dedicated to an overall truth as you. Thus the ranting. Thus the post in Suggestions.

Basically now, here like in real life, I'm trying to help out the low time/newbie jumpers, trying to help protect them from people who aren't as respectable in their opinions as yourself.

The point is, if folks are sponsered, they should state that when suggesting gear until HH can implement a mark of some sort tagging the sponsered jumpers and those who work for manufactures.

So, since you are a sponsered jumper, your opinions are slanted.

Yes, but everyones opinons are slanted.

Very few people don't get some kind of deal in this sport.

Which is why when I start talking gear I always disclose if I got it from a sponsorship....People should be informed of that. Now I will not accept something for free that I woudl not buy, and I would not say something is good if I didn't think that...as I am sure *most* will not either.

But I think anyone sponsored should say so BEFORE they give gear advice.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Which is why when I start talking gear I always disclose if I got it from a sponsorship....People should be informed of that. Now I will not accept something for free that I woudl not buy, and I would not say something is good if I didn't think that...as I am sure *most* will not either.

Ron,

This is exactly what I am talking about. I'm proud to see someone that has the ethical fiber to disclose that information when giving advice about gear. In my opinion that's very important and helps protect the low time jumpers that may not know any different.

>however, I still feel like people that are sponsered should preface their opinions with "I am sponsered by XXX"

The problem there is that most very experienced jumpers are 'sponsored' in one way or another, if 'sponsored' means you can get gear at dealer price or less. Just in the last year, I've been able to get incredibly low prices (below dealer cost) on Bev Suits, Bodysport, Tony Suits, Flitesuit, Symbiosis and Zute Suit because of the Thailand event. That's around 400 people who would have to preface all their comments with "I am sponsored by" followed by a long line of companies; would get sort of unwieldy.

90% of the skydivers I know would not push a specific line just because they got gear for cheap (or even for free.) The other 10% are the sort that would push marginal gear because they wish to get in good with their sponsor; they are also the sort that would not freely announce their sponsorship.

The problem there is that most very experienced jumpers are 'sponsored' in one way or another, if 'sponsored' means you can get gear at dealer price or less

OK so?

That's around 400 people who would have to preface all their comments with "I am sponsored by" followed by a long line of companies; would get sort of unwieldy.

No, they should only make the "I am sponsored by" comment when it is something they were sponsored with. For example, if I were to talk about rigs I would have to say "I am sponsored by RWS" But if I were talking about AAD's, I would not since I have NO sponsorship from any AAD maker. Easy.

90% of the skydivers I know would not push a specific line just because they got gear for cheap (or even for free.) The other 10% are the sort that would push marginal gear because they wish to get in good with their sponsor; they are also the sort that would not freely announce their sponsorship.

So are you in the 90% or the 10%? I am in the 90% and openly tell people that I do or do not have sponsorship so that they can make the choice to listen to me or not, or what degree to listen to me.

Whats wrong with being honest and disclosing that info?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I agree. You'd have to define "sponsored" and it'd get pretty ridiculous.

I've received freebies and some really nice deals. Would I be considered sponsored?

I'm not a dealer and I've been out of the industry for a while, so I hardly think so.

I think it'd be better to address the issue individually. If someone who is sponsored keeps pushing certain gear because it's in their best interest, just call them on it.

Everyone is biased in some manner, whether it's because they know people in some area(s) of the industry, have only jumped certain gear so far, don't like "so-and-so" because of some rumor they've heard, jump at a pretty much all brand "X" DZ...the list goes on...

If someone who is sponsored keeps pushing certain gear because it's in their best interest, just call them on it.

That's what I did. In accordance with the deal, Bill is required to push the Icon and related gear. It is good gear, BUT he is required to push it. Thus his opinion in this thread is very slanted.

That's the point of my "outburst."