ZigZagMarquis

Elsinore On Fire

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-fastmoving-brush-fire-forces-evacuations-near-lake-elsinore-20130805,0,3262989.story

Fast-moving brush fire forces evacuations near Lake Elsinore

By a Times staff writer
August 5, 2013, 3:10 p.m.

A brush fire was burning out of control near Lake Elsinore, forcing evacuations and prompting officials to close local roads.

The Falls fire began this afternoon east of Lake Elsinore near Ortega Highway.

Nearly 200 acres had burned.

According to Inciweb, "Mandatory evacuations [were ordered to] Decker Canyon and Rancho Capistrano residents. Ortega Highway is closed to nonresidents."

An evacuation center was opened at Lakeside High School.

-----------------

A few photos from the DZ that a buddy of mine sent me (enclosed).

Looks ugly, but the drop zone would be in pretty good shape unless some awfully strange winds picked up and the thing spread for quite a way.

Smoke and TRF might be enough to ground the planes until it's under control though.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

The fire started on the DZ.

This was in the couple years just prior to Elsinore drowning when people were planting themselves regularly and sometimes taking a fellow jumper with them. :S During one of those summers, about a dozen jumpers went in in about a six-week period. :(

This is relevant because it happened after one of these fatalities. The sherif dept. showed up on the DZ and drove out to where the body was and parked their cars. During their initial investigation, the catalytic converter lit the dry grass under one of their cars. It had been a wet winter/spring and the grass/underbrush was tall and heavy followed by a hot, dry summer. They took one look at their car on fire, grabbed the body with it's gear, dumped it in one of the other cars and hightailed it out of there. :o

About 1/2 to 2/3 of the DZ burned before it was put out. Fortunately, none of the buildings were damaged or any aircraft involved.

I don't think the cops ever drove out onto the DZ ever again! ;)

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

oldwomanc6

I was on the DZ, when it burned in the late 70s, and as bad as that was, this could be much worse if it gets near enough. :(

Here's hoping the winds remain favorable until it can be put out completely.

I'm amazed that fire can spread across a desert. :o
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

The111

***I was on the DZ, when it burned in the late 70s, and as bad as that was, this could be much worse if it gets near enough. :(

Here's hoping the winds remain favorable until it can be put out completely.

I'm amazed that fire can spread across a desert. :o
Not all desert is sand. Desert is a label applied to a place due to its low level of precipitation. There are plenty of places that are grassy and still get called desert. Many places along the west coast, in fact, especially just along the inside of the mountains.
Why drive myself crazy trying to be normal, when I am already at crazy?

NorrinRadd

Not all desert is sand. Desert is a label applied to a place due to its low level of precipitation. There are plenty of places that are grassy and still get called desert. Many places along the west coast, in fact, especially just along the inside of the mountains.

I was talking from my experience jumping at Elsinore a couple times, I seem to remember a lot of large sandy areas on at least 3 of 4 sides of the DZ.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Hi Lisa,

The fire started on the DZ.

There's the problem; they got the floods under control and this is the result.

:S

JerryBaumchen

PS) Two old guys sitting on the beach in Florida with their drinks in their hands. The 1st guy says, 'So what brought you to Florida?' The 2nd guys says,'I used to be in the furniture business but I got wiped out about 75% by a fire, so I decided to call it quits & move to Florida.' The 1st guy says, 'Heck, I used to be in the furniture business also. And I got wiped out 100% due to a flood.' Then the 2nd guy says, 'So how do you start a flood?'

:P

There are short weeds in all that sand, but even if it was bare, it wouldn't matter. Fire can jump a 50' wide runway with no problem.

The fires are under control, people were allowed back to their houses around 3 a.m. this morning, the DZ was not at risk with this particular fire.