quade

Dumber than hell "positive" messages

None that blew themselves up with explosives.

Try not to make ridiculous false equivalencies.

At its root, that is what this thread is about. Whoever thought the image in the original post was a "positive" one, made a horrible analogy.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

None that blew themselves up with explosives.

Try not to make ridiculous false equivalencies.

At its root, that is what this thread is about. Whoever thought the image in the original post was a "positive" one, made a horrible analogy.

That is your opinion.

Proof please?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

See post #6. Additionally the stones that make up the bulk of this particular pyramind are so precisely ground that the mortar between them is thinner than a sheet of paper. The table in the interior is so flat that it varies less than (I'm not sure of the exact figure) one hundred thousanth of an inch.) There are many other examples.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

Please present us with the evidence that the Great Pyramid (in particular, as it was the one in your original post) was built with slave labor.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

The conventional wisdom tells us that the Great Pyramind was built in twenty years. We know for a fact that it contains 2,300,000 stones weighing between 2.5 and 16 tons each. If they worked twenty four hours a day doing no site, detail or finish work they would have to set one stone every five minutes.

That is impossible with bronze age technology. Remember that these stones were set with such precision that the mortar joints cannot be seen. Please explain how that was accomplished using 20,000 slaves (controlled by whips, no less.)

And while you are at it, explain how the shafts were cut.

Apparently archeologists do not own calculators. (I think I got that right. Please feel free to check my work and correct me if I am wrong.);)

>That is impossible with bronze age technology.

There's that modern assumption of superiority again. Why is it impossible? Might they have been slightly better masons than we are today, since they worked almost exclusively with stone?

>Please explain how that was accomplished using 20,000 slaves (controlled by whips, no
>less.)

Why do you think they were "controlled by whips?" Seems like an unfounded assertion.

>And while you are at it, explain how the shafts were cut.

Via technology we have forgotten.

quade

You, uh, do realize the pyramids weren't built by anyone who ever called themselves "Muslim"; right?

That the religion of Islam didn't exist at that time.

you do realise that you are now being either a intentionally complete tard or you are more stupid than I 1st thought.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Squeak

***You, uh, do realize the pyramids weren't built by anyone who ever called themselves "Muslim"; right?

That the religion of Islam didn't exist at that time.

you do realise that you are now being either a intentionally complete tard or you are more stupid than I 1st thought.

So, wait . . . which statement do YOU believe to be untrue?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I am not suggesting anything. You are the one who, without any evidence, insist that the Great Pyramind was built by slaves.

Evidence, please.

I am in agreement with you. I would say that whatever technology was used to build the Great Pyramind does not fall under what is commonly understood to be "Bronze Age Technology."

And how did they cut those damn shafts?

Please explain how that was accomplished using 20,000 slaves (controlled by whips, no less.)

You appear to be insisting that the only two options are that the pyramids were built by either slaves or independant skilled artisans.

Do you know what a false dichotomy is?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Our modern definition of "slavery" is quite a bit different than the definition at the time. The evidence suggests the Egyptian royalty used conscripted workers and trained them, gave them food (which was a good reward in that time period), and trained them to do the job of building the pyramids.

These days, being conscripted in the US is tantamount to slavery. As an example, we are one of the few countries in the world that no longer requires military service of men, and that is a revolutionary idea for such a powerful nation. In other countries, men are conscripted for service - i.e. their choice is irrelevant in the matter. I consider that slavery, but my grandfathers all considered it their duty to serve (and all of them did) in World War 2.

In that age, people were used to their families and country telling them what to do, and they didn't question. Slavery? It's a matter of opinion.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Many of us in this country are slaves . . .

To the alarm clock, the landlord, the utility companies and car loan sharks. Our chains are just a little more subtle. ;)

As far as ancient technology, I recently saw a video of a man who, thru counter weights and shimming, was able to duplicate, using concrete slabs, many stone henge type structures will little brute muscle, just ingeniously applied leverage. Simple once you see it, but not obvious. :)

>And how did they cut those damn shafts?

Best answer I've heard so far is with conical ultrasonic drills under tremendous pressure (think a 100 ton stone block on the top.) The drill itself was a matrix of somewhat fragile crystals and mortar; as the drill face turned, the crystals were crushed, and the tremendous force behind it turned the fracturing of the crystal into very powerful sound waves. The drill was sacrificial, and it took a lot of them to bore holes, but while it lasted the feedrates were very high, comparable to modern ultrasonic drilling machines.

Could be. But I am pretty sure the shafts are not round, but square. And how did they get it aligned so that on the solstice it lined up with (I think) Orion? And did you know that the Great Pyramid is not four sided but eight sided? This can only be seen from above during the solstice. Amazing!

Where did I say that? Who built the Great Pyramid is conjecture.
The ancient Greeks thought it was built with slave labor, like our OP. Most modern archeologists thinks it was built by paid artisians.

And no, I do not know what a false dichotomy is. Also, I made no comments about "the pyramids." I only mentioned the Great Pyramid.

Finally, I am insisting nothing. I merely pointed out to the OP that who built the Great Pyramid is conjecture, despite what he learned in the fifth grade.

Croc

Where did I say that? Who built the Great Pyramid is conjecture.
The ancient Greeks thought it was built with slave labor, like our OP. Most modern archeologists thinks it was built by paid artisians.

OK....

I'd like to introduce you to a revolutionary new concept, it's called 'both'.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Concerning the builders of the Great Pyramid:

Slaves=hypothesis-conjecture

Volunteers=hypothesis=conjecture

both=hypothesis=conjecture

All equally valid. And I'm outa here.

jakee

***Where did I say that? Who built the Great Pyramid is conjecture.

OK....

I'd like to introduce you to a revolutionary new concept, it's called 'both'.

He only mentioned two possible ideas, he did not exclude any of the dozens of others, including the one you mention. You are making an assumption about his assumptions. ;)

Here's a false dichotomy for you... if he didn't say that both are possible, he must believe the opposite. :P
www.WingsuitPhotos.com